Home

New Classic Teams in NBA 2K21?

This is a discussion on New Classic Teams in NBA 2K21? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 08-15-2020, 03:55 AM   #9
MVP

midwestking100's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: New Classic Teams in NBA 2K21?

Hopefully in the next gen they will give us an enhance CAP options where we can replicate guys that are not in the game a lot better. Its all about tendencies and signatures to me.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
This whole year has been crazy. You cant really fault 2K for releasing the game when it's supposed to release, especially with next gen (and their crown jewel) dropping a few months later. There almost has to be at least one Kobe led championship team, right? 2K20 had Kobe, Pau, and added Lamar Odom to MyTeam. I can see the 09 Lakers and 09 Magic.
I'd be happy with those two teams, assuming the rosters have all the key players. When it comes to legends and classic teams each year I don't get my hopes up for new teams or players so that any addition is a welcomed one. I more hope no teams or players get removed (hopefully with next gen they keep expanding).

It's probably unlikely but I'm holding out hope that some new/missing legends that held out previously will finally make an appearance with everything that has gone on this year. With Kobe's death and Covid maybe some of these guys will have a change of perspective over having their likeness in the game. Maybe they'll look at it like "life's short. What's even the point of me not allowing 2k to put my likeness in a videogame?"

I also wonder if The Last Dance could give players like Charles Barkley and Reggie Miller a reason to be in the game. Videogames and 2K is a way for these legends to keep their legacy going. It's one of the things I thought of while watching The Last Dance. A lot of these players are forgotten and underappreciated by young fans of the game because they are either overshadowed by current stars or overshadowed by someone like MJ who dominated their era. Like do young fans know just how good Barkley was in his prime? Or how ahead of his time Reggie Miller was (he would thrive in modern NBA)? I think being in 2K could allow some legends to receive some much deserved appreciation from the younger basketball generation.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #11
Rookie

Would love to see one of those 90s Hawks teams (Mutombo, Laettner, Smith, Blaylock), mainly because of the jerseys.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 3
New Classic Teams in NBA 2K21?

Iím passing on 2k21 but Iím curious how the Classic players are brought over to next gen. Like has already been said, moving to new consoles havenít been good for the legends initially. I doubt Iíd even buy 2k if it wasnít for the legends. That completely rejuvenated my interest in video game basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by jmarcguy; 08-18-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:45 AM   #13
MVP

daveberg's Arena

I'll be fine if they keep ALL the classic teams and players we have now, coupled with ALL the sig animations we have and simply add a couple more teams.

A prime Kobe Lakers team and his championship team with Pau would be HUGELY appreciated as additions, especially seeing as Bryant is on the cover.

I'm not bothered about VC or cards or my team virtual nonsense - would love it if 2k gave the rest of us something legit Kobe related outside of the damn online modes, otherwise what's the point of even calling it 'Mamba Forever edition'? All they're doing is basically charging you for a custom cover and a load of myplayer fairy tale hoops junk. What's included for people that don't play online, that's dedicated to Bryant?

Give the rest of us offline cats some love.

Sorry, rant over.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
would love it if 2k gave the rest of us something legit Kobe related outside of the damn online modes, otherwise what's the point of even calling it 'Mamba Forever edition'? All they're doing is basically charging you for a custom cover and a load of myplayer fairy tale hoops junk. What's included for people that don't play online, that's dedicated to Bryant?

Give the rest of us offline cats some love.
Yep.

I can't imagine seeing anything like that on a first year next-gen release but just broadly speaking, I'm more than ready for another legitimate classic mode of some kind, considering how 2K completely knocked it out of the park in 2K11 and 2K12. Couple of ways they could go:

1. Greatest Games: Akin to 2K11's Jordan Challenge, but just with other stars too. Toughest hurdle here would be making sure there's opposing teams available to fit the need.

Example: Replaying Game 7 of the 1994 NBA Finals between the New York Knicks and Houston Rockets with all the corresponding pomp and circumstance (including proper floor signage and whatnot).

2. Situation Mode: Akin to NFL 2K5's ESPN at 25 mode, where we'd be given a real life classic scenario that we'd be tasked with completing.

Example: 2000 Lakers vs. 2000 Blazers: Overcome 13-point fourth quarter deficit in Game 7 of 2000 WCF to clinch Finals berth.

Or, to step things up a notch: 2005 Rockets vs. 2005 Spurs: Score 13 points in final 35 seconds with Tracy McGrady.

3. Individual Team or Player Goals/Trophies: Another idea lifted from NFL 2K5. Also less structured and maybe less demanding of resources. NFL 2K5 had a trophy room with a slot available for accomplishing a specific task with each team and a spot for accomplishing a specific task with a single player from each team. It created tons of re-play and variance, as I'm not sure I would have ever used the Cardinals if it weren't for that Anquan Boldin 217 receiving yards goal. It gave exhibition games with any and every team a purpose.

Team Example: 2004 Pistons - Hold the 2004 Lakers to 79 points or less (minimum: 10 minute quarters).

Player Example: Make 12 3-pointers in a single game with 2016 Stephen Curry.

All of these would be dependent upon being able to use custom rosters, of course. There's no 2004 Pistons challenge if we can't include Rasheed and Tayshaun, for instance.

I know, a bit off-topic, but your post just had me dreaming for a second.

Last edited by VDusen04; 08-16-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #15
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

Spoiler

Yes to all of the above. Loved these modes and challenges in NFL 2K5 and NBA 2k11/12.

What would also be great is that they can add additional games and challenges with updates based on real life. Lillard gave us a couple of great moments this past week alone that would be worthy examples.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #16
Rookie

Yeah, either the 2009 or 2010 Laker team(s) should be in there. The 2009 Magic would be cool, as would the 2009 Cavs.

How about the 07 Jazz ? Won 51 games and made the WCF. The 01 Bucks, the 02 Celtics would be cool but theyíre not ATG teams per se.

The 2013 Knicks should be in, not the 2012 Knicks. They were a much better team in 2013.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »