Home

Da_Czar on Shooting #SIMNATION

This is a discussion on Da_Czar on Shooting #SIMNATION within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2020, 08:08 AM   #1
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Da_Czar on Shooting #SIMNATION

I've seen a lot of feedback regarding shooting, specifically regarding the shot stick mechanics.

Czar dropped a bit of knowledge on it on his channel.

Take a look.

https://youtu.be/aUqhYAhC6ZA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Da_Czar on Shooting #SIMNATION

I watched it yesterday, and just like with all of his videos, it made me disappointed that so few people relatively speaking will take advantage of the knowledge dropped by an expert on the game mechanics.

Folks, even in Simnation, will instead abandon, complain about, angrily ask Mike to change back the shooting mechanics instead of trying the suggestions made by Da_Czar.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

Watched the video. Shot stick is exactly as described by Mike and many others. I've watched youtube tutorials where guys have a cam on the controller and they are going straight down and they're throwing up brick after brick in an open gym. Uncontested.

I'm always in the yellow but unless I'm perfectly on that tiny line it is a miss. In the gym shooting uncontested, some slightly right or left will drop but, throw in a defender and nothing slightly off will fall. Has to be perfect.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I've seen a lot of feedback regarding shooting, specifically regarding the shot stick mechanics.

Czar dropped a bit of knowledge on it on his channel.

Take a look.

https://youtu.be/aUqhYAhC6ZA
You got any cliff notes for that? I love Czar but his videos are so damn long and generally meander a lot.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 09-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I watched it yesterday, and just like with all of his videos, it made me disappointed that so few people relatively speaking will take advantage of the knowledge dropped by an expert on the game mechanics.

Folks, even in Simnation, will instead abandon, complain about, angrily ask Mike to change back the shooting mechanics instead of trying the suggestions made by Da_Czar.
We have an entire thread on Agent.

I'm constantly seeing other YouTubers posted here.

Czar drops gems and thought processes from a sim perspective all year. I rarely see discussion of it.

Let's all do better.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 09-05-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I realize this is only Day 2, so I'm gonna try it a few more days, but honestly, this shooting is... I don't know.

Like said already, I can't understand it. I haven't touched the "camera relative/absolute" stuff, but I'll check and see if absolute is the default (it should be, I'm on 2K, anyways).

And like... Honestly, I would post my videos from 2k20, so I could show y'all. I only shoot open shots. Slightly contested, maybe, if it's the end of the shot clock, and I don't have time. But for the most part, I'm trying to use those 24 seconds to get myself an open shot, or a drive to the rim.

And it's not working. I'm pulling straight down, and the bar is all the way on the left one shot, and then all the way on the right the next turn. And I think the problem is that I'm so used to looking at the forms for 5 or 6 different players, when with this aiming meter, it doesn't "matter" anymore. Like, if I focus on aiming and timing with one or two players, great. For the MyCareer types that only need to learn one jumpshot, awesome.

And I'm switching back to the 2K20 system, and call me paranoid. But does anyone feel like the old 2K20 system is harder now? Like, even with slightly early/late timing, shots aren't falling like they used to anymore?

I feel like I'm being pushed into learning the stick aiming. Like, 2K is trying to push itself into being more "competitive". Which I would be cool with, if 2K was more skill-based, but for the fact that they still have microtransactions, which means they still have a pay-to-win system ingrained into it's economy.

And I think that's my real problem with the game right now. They're trying to integrate this "skill-based" shooting system into the game when there is still a pay-to-win system in the game (outside of PNO, but we all know they're not paying attention to that). So while I'm trying to learn how to shoot with role players or teams/players I haven't spent money to build, people who do spend money have contact finisher to help their aimed contact layups turn into poster dunks, or HOF flexible release jumpshots that will cancel out whatever "aiming" that they've done.

And it's not sitting right with me. If they're going to try and make things skill-based and competitive like other E-Sports, then they need to remove all of these pay-to-win systems in the game as well.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
Pro

Vroman's Arena

OVR: 0

Having to use absolute stick orientation really kills it for me.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #8
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18

Did a stream just now. I've gotta say I'm disappointed in what I'm hearing. If you advocate for simply raising the percentage on solid "slightly" releases from the approximately 15 percent we're currently seeing to about 30, you're shouted down and told to "get good." That ain't #SimNation! We strive for realism! When you can safely leave open shooters wide and treat them like they're Shaq, that's not sim ball, fellas! Sure, people will practice and get better at shooting. Of course they will. Nothing needs to change with shooting itself, just the floor for those "slightly" releases so that we can see better percentages in games consistently and so that players have to respect the J right now.

Further, he keeps saying "once people get their badges..." C'mon Czar! You know for a fact that lots of us play PNO and things like that too. Plenty of decent shooters out there who can't just "get their badges" because they're tied to regular rosters. Shooting and the difficulty therein is fantastic. Don't change it. All that needs to be tweaked is that floor percentage for "Slightly" releases, and even then it only needs to be raised a little (15-20 percent)
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »