Home

Head to Head, I can't remember the last time defense was this bad.

This is a discussion on Head to Head, I can't remember the last time defense was this bad. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Head to Head, I can't remember the last time defense was this bad.

Head to Head, NBA teams.

I'm not one to exaggerate...but it is UGLY right now.

Mike Conley can't contain Ben Simmons, which is cool. 2x DPOY Rudy Gobert rotates over. (This is the best case scenario, if the 76ers ran an iso, Rudy wouldn't have rotated at all unless I did it manually)

https://streamable.com/g8hpeu

I know great players are capable of doing this on occasion, but this is essentially the standard when playing against an elite finisher that can trigger contact dunk animations. It could be 3-4 guys down there and more often or not they will latch on to one of them for a poster or foul animation.

Here is Al Horford with a Shaq style standing dunk over two Jazz players after a rebound.

https://streamable.com/qbjahl

Its not limited to Al either. Jokic, Nurkic can power dunk at will. Imagine the elite guys.

add this to what? the 5th straight year of transition issues? Gobert casually jogging back so slow he can't catch Al Horford. We buffed football passes because peoplw complained about them but not even a thought was given to how the defense could deal with them.

https://streamable.com/qpnqu8

but that could be a thread by itself.

2K18 had the excessive blow-bys, but at least you had to acknowledge if people rotated over. Hell, they could kick it out to damn near anyone for a 3, but you had to at least acknowledge there was an actual person in front of you.

That's what sucks, on the NBA side shooting is on a better place than it has been....but with paint defense at its current state...it doesn't really matter.

This was in the gameplay blog

Quote:
On the defensive end, you can expect a much stronger presence from bigs in the paint. Block targeting has been improved so it will be easier to send weak shots back and we’ve loaded up more coverage for contact in the paint to slow down overpowered moves like last year’s hop step layup.

Was this just in the Park/Pro Am modes? because as far as the NBA side goes, defense is at its worst. (The out of box ball tangibility had its annual nerf BTW, so the hop step is fully back, along with dribbling safely in the crowded paint holding LT)

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 09-26-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: Head to Head, I can't remember the last time defense was this bad.

Yea I strongly believe that the badges have way more affect on the game than we think it does.

Seems like 2k just don't want to tell us how effectively badges work and how OP they are in certain situations. Now Rudy can get dunked on but yea Ive had that happen to me (me controlling Gobert) and I'm getting smashed on, on numerous occasions... if anything that should be a foul or maybe a tough layup.

Thats why each year I do an overhaul on the badges and get rid off the badges (especially offensive) that are too OP.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #3
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

1. Dunk ratings are to high for all the players.

2. The lack of offensive fouls gives free reign to rush the paint. In 2k12 you could draw charges on overly aggressive players.

3. Ball tangibility is trash.

4. Every non big can pull off dribble change of direction moves.

The made shooting harder, contest stronger, but dunking easier. In the era of the 3 ball 2k decides to go the other way.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 09-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Good post mate, I probably will add on to it early next week since I tend to agree with what's being said here.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #5
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0

Paint OFFENSE has been lacking for years. Paint defense was COMPLETELY OP wih Intimidator HOF.

Now its the worst it's ever been?

Now i wish i had bought 2k21 and made my slasher! Lolol

I've been championing finishing for years now, SINCE 2k18.

Im all for balance, so i don't want Goran Dragic doing 360 windmills, but Gobert doesn't block EVERY shot at the rim either. 2 blocks a game is GREAT. Does he need to block 15 a game?

Im legit asking because i dont have the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
Paint OFFENSE has been lacking for years. Paint defense was COMPLETELY OP wih Intimidator HOF.

Im all for balance, so i don't want Goran Dragic doing 360 windmills, but Gobert doesn't block EVERY shot at the rim either. 2 blocks a game is GREAT. Does he need to block 15 a game?

Yea thats true. You really need a bigger sample size. Say at least 15 games of using the Jazz and track how many times this happens. If its once or twice with someone that is an elite finisher/dunker then I'm cool with that.

Old 09-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214

Keep in mind.

I'm talking head to head with NBA teams online.

Finishing at the rim has been a sore spot for me fhe last couple of years too. I really like what they've done to finishing this year. Talented players SHOULD be able to convert at the rim. The LAST thing I would want them to do was arbitrarily hike up the difficulty to finish.

As a side note...because these issues are bigger on the NBA side:

as a glass cleaning defender, multi HOF badges, I've been finished on by some crafty players. I see them nail their timing/aiming and I am more than OK with shaking their hand and running down court. That's what the meter should represent IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohns23
Yea thats true. You really need a bigger sample size. Say at least 15 games of using the Jazz and track how many times this happens. If its once or twice with someone that is an elite finisher/dunker then I'm cool with that.

I have about a 50+ game sample in PNO, haha

Your LeBrons, KD's are doing this consistently.....in crowds....zones, lol

Doesn't help that this is the level of awareness your teamates have...

https://streamable.com/m3g64f

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 09-26-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
Pro

Lol... well dang. I wonder if its a different engine between PNO and playing against the CPU.

Seems like it is to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »