Home

Until they fix slashing this game will remain an arcade game

This is a discussion on Until they fix slashing this game will remain an arcade game within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2020, 10:55 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Until they fix slashing this game will remain an arcade game

It was the same way on the current gen version. I played a rec game 2 weeks ago where two bigs were just exchanging contact dunks.

Even if JRC wasn't an arcade mode in the past maybe that's where they are heading i've noticed they allow park celebrations in JRC now. Guys are punching the air and mimicking golf swings after 3's lol.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:10 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
Off-topic: They should have never removed that badge to begin with, 24th. Made guys like Derrick White, Marcus Smart, Kyle Lowry & Manu Ginobili more impactful on defense. Hopefully it'll make it's return at some point.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation
Not that off-topic, as defense is one of the things that they need to work on - or rather, building in those "counters" to the offense.

Derrick White was putting on a Charging clinic in the bubble. Really showing how understanding positioning and punishing over-aggressive slashers is a viable and underrated part of the game.

Too many people just charge the paint hoping to get a foul or an animation, without really thinking about how to get around the defender. Adding in charges as a viable tactic would be great, if implemented properly and if consistent.

My only fear is how it's always been: too many players just hold on to the charge button at random points: at half-court, at the inbound, at any point hoping that they can charge a turnover. They appear to have a handle on it, from the few videos I've seen, but I fear that a badge like that would become to OP to the point where people are trying to HOF that as a crutch to actually playing good defense (side eyes Intimidator badge).
Old 11-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

This is what happens when every MyPlayer starts out with a 95 dunk rating that can go up to 99 (before boosts) and can easily equip 1 or 2 slashing takeovers.

Visual Concepts let people make legit demigod builds for the first time since 2K15 (where it was done via an unintended glitch) and the result is that everyone's dunking on everybody now.

I don't know if there's really anything they can do to tone down the dunking without releasing a new 2K with a different, more balanced MyPlayer builder.

I think on Next Gen you're just going to have to stick to the non-fantasy modes (i.e., not MyTeam or MyPlayer) where the attribute ratings aren't so juiced if you want a realistic experience because pandora is out of the box in those fantasy modes and she probably isn't getting put back in the box until 2K22.

Making charge-taking a more consistent counter to straight line turbo drives could be a decent band-aid, but the core issue IMO is still the decision to let everybody have that 95 dunk rating on their MyPlayers without needing to sacrifice any of the other coveted skill sets (shooting & dribbling) on offense.

Consistent contact dunking builds have existed in the MyPlayer modes every year since 2K17 but they were balanced out in past years by not being able to able to have all four of these on-court advantages at the same time: shooting, dribbling, dunking, height.

IMO the builder was most balanced when MyPlayers could only have two of those skill sets (2K18's setup came the closest to achieving that balance if you could theoretically remove that game's overpowered 6'10" pure point forward archetype that could do everything), but in next gen, you can have every desirable offensive tool (including height) on a single character.

In the entire history of basketball there's never been a 6'7" player with 7'4" wingspan that can shoot threes like Steph, dribble like Kyrie, dunk like Zion, and defend like Kawhi but that's what every "comp" MyPlayer is like in 2K21 next gen.

Last edited by jyoung; 11-16-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #20
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
This is what happens when every MyPlayer starts out with a 95 dunk rating that can go up to 99 (before floor general boosts) and can easily equip 1 or 2 slashing takeovers.

Visual Concepts let people make legit demigod builds for the first time since 2K15 (where it was done via an unintended glitch) and the result is that everybody's dunking on everyone now.

I don't know if there's really anything they can do to tone down the dunking without releasing a new 2K with a different, more balanced MyPlayer builder.

I think on Next Gen you're just going to have to stick to the non-fantasy modes (i.e., not MyTeam or MyPlayer) where the attribute ratings are more toned down if you want a realistic experience because pandora is out the box in those fantasy modes and she probably isn't getting put back in the box until 2K22.
Think they should play around with the sliders and tendencies in rec / pro am ? It could be toned down
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 11-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #21
Rookie

HBKSean216's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Think they should play around with the sliders and tendencies in rec / pro am ? It could be toned down
this right here. The animations are fine and nice looking. Its the frequency at which they happen. needs to be toned done considerably! ASAP.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #22
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBKSean216
this right here. The animations are fine and nice looking. Its the frequency at which they happen. needs to be toned done considerably! ASAP.
Even park youtubers are complaining about this lol
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 11-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
This is what happens when every MyPlayer starts out with a 95 dunk rating that can go up to 99 (before boosts) and can easily equip 1 or 2 slashing takeovers.

Visual Concepts let people make legit demigod builds for the first time since 2K15 (where it was done via an unintended glitch) and the result is that everyone's dunking on everybody now.

I think on Next Gen you're just going to have to stick to the non-fantasy modes (i.e., not MyTeam or MyPlayer) where the attribute ratings aren't so juiced if you want a realistic experience because pandora is out of the box in those fantasy modes and she probably isn't getting put back in the box until 2K22.

Making charge-taking a more consistent counter to straight line turbo drives could be a decent band-aid, but the core issue IMO is still the decision to let everybody have that 95 dunk rating on their MyPlayers without needing to sacrifice any of the other coveted skill sets (shooting & dribbling) on offense.

Consistent contact dunking builds have existed in the MyPlayer modes every year since 2K17 but they were balanced out in past years by not being able to able to have all four of these on-court advantages at the same time: shooting, dribbling, dunking, height.

IMO the builder was most balanced when MyPlayers could only have two of those skill sets (2K18's setup came the closest to achieving that balance if you could theoretically remove that game's overpowered 6'10" pure point forward archetype that could do everything), but in next gen, you can have every desirable offensive tool (including height) on a single character.

In the entire history of basketball there's never been a 6'7" player with 7'4" wingspan that can shoot threes like Steph, dribble like Kyrie, dunk like Zion, and defend like Kawhi but that's what every "comp" MyPlayer is like in 2K21 next gen.

doods got what they asked for haha. Until they have a game where all attributes matter relatively equally, a completely unlocked builder is BG.

-Smak
Old 11-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #24
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
This is a thing on current gen(old gen) since release and they didnt tweak anything.

Wysłane z mojego CPH2015 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »