Home

IGN Review - NBA 2K21 [Next-Gen]

This is a discussion on IGN Review - NBA 2K21 [Next-Gen] within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #9
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: IGN Review - NBA 2K21 [Next-Gen]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Snap
Microtransactions do not belong in a $60 game.

They kill long-term playability for short-term profit by exploiting children and idiots.

This is why 2K11 endures.

Grind in Disgaea and it's still there today.

Grind in 2K and it's gone in two years.
His comment about microtransactions was applicable for ALL games. Basically, he was saying that microtransactions is part of the videogame industry (like it or not), and NBA 2K shouldn't be scored less due to them. If that were the case, there wouldn't a single new game that could score higher than 7 or 8 respectively unless they had zero microtransactions.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:57 PM   #10
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
His comment about microtransactions was applicable for ALL games. Basically, he was saying that microtransactions is part of the videogame industry (like it or not), and NBA 2K shouldn't be scored less due to them. If that were the case, there wouldn't a single new game that could score higher than 7 or 8 respectively unless they had zero microtransactions.
I've pretty much abandoned even reading the reviews of a large percentage of the professional gaming sites. The reviews have become, in my opinion, intellectually dishonest on so many levels.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:14 PM   #11
MVP

jerwoods's Arena

OVR: 1

mirtotranactions are here to stay sadly

i wouild up the vc u get like maybe 12k vc if u play a 48 min game
and if u play for more than 6 hours a day u get a 20k bonus because if u give more vc then u can even the playing field a little
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #12
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I've pretty much abandoned even reading the reviews of a large percentage of the professional gaming sites. The reviews have become, in my opinion, intellectually dishonest on so many levels.
I have too. Granted, I pretty much buy the same games or franchises every year, so I should have a pretty good idea what those games are about. Unless the game do something widely stupid, like Mass Effect: Andromeda, I'm pretty much expecting more of the same.

If there's a new IP, I'll read the preview information, but then I'll watch live streams of the actual game after it's released.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:26 AM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
True... and with the proliferation of gaming channels on Youtube, most professional review sites have become redundant anyway.

I'd rather watch raw gameplay and a reasonably candid opinion from a few regular gamers on youtube then an overly done "review" from some person that got a free "review copy" of a game on a site that's been promoting said game with ads for weeks.
Old 11-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #14
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
True... and with the proliferation of gaming channels on Youtube, most professional review sites have become redundant anyway.

I'd rather watch raw gameplay and a reasonably candid opinion from a few regular gamers on youtube then an overly done "review" from some person that got a free "review copy" of a game on a site that's been promoting said game with ads for weeks.
Plus, YouTube videos are usually done by people who have a genuine interest for or experience with the game/franchise. Most reviewers are people who are required to do it, because it's their job.
Old 11-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I mean, to be fair, any game that has predatory microtransactions like 2K should be scored less. I'm pretty sure that I've seen many people talk about microtransactions in their reviews, as well. It is a part of the game now, but that doesn't mean that people should accept ***** microtransactions. And I think that is the difference as to why you can't just give every game with microtransactions a maximum score.

The game is great, but from the review, for me at least, they made it pretty clear that microtransactions in this game, in particular, reduced the overall enjoyment. Most other games don't have microtransactions that affect gameplay, with most games these days relying on cosmetics, or things that you can easily, reasonably get with a decent time commitment. I played 2k MyTeam for months last gen, and I didn't get a Galaxy Opal until 2 months before 2k21 came out, when they started selling the guaranteed Opal packs. Outside of PNO (and maybe MyLeague? I don't play, so idk), VC is used in every mode for some reason or another. So at this point, 2K is one of the few games where microtransactions are embedded into the very fabric of the game, to the point where you can't even play half of the modes if you're offline.

And I think that's what ruffles people's feathers with this game. Most games with microtransactions don't release once a year, every year. I can boot up Fortnite right now and find everything that I've ever earned in there. Many games leave microtransactions in areas that don't give a player an advantage over another (hence the pay to win aspects). Games that do are typically called out.

If 2K didn't charge 70 dollars for a game that only people who play 2K exclusively could have the time to enjoy, then I could see that score being higher. But considering that being able to fully experience both MyTeam and MyPlayer, without spending a dime on VC, is impossible without putting in more hours in the game than one would a full-time job... And that whatever progress you do make is going to been pointless in a year... I can see why it got that low.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #16
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouprodigy92
I mean, to be fair, any game that has predatory microtransactions like 2K should be scored less. I'm pretty sure that I've seen many people talk about microtransactions in their reviews, as well. It is a part of the game now, but that doesn't mean that people should accept ***** microtransactions. And I think that is the difference as to why you can't just give every game with microtransactions a maximum score.

The game is great, but from the review, for me at least, they made it pretty clear that microtransactions in this game, in particular, reduced the overall enjoyment. Most other games don't have microtransactions that affect gameplay, with most games these days relying on cosmetics, or things that you can easily, reasonably get with a decent time commitment. I played 2k MyTeam for months last gen, and I didn't get a Galaxy Opal until 2 months before 2k21 came out, when they started selling the guaranteed Opal packs. Outside of PNO (and maybe MyLeague? I don't play, so idk), VC is used in every mode for some reason or another. So at this point, 2K is one of the few games where microtransactions are embedded into the very fabric of the game, to the point where you can't even play half of the modes if you're offline.

And I think that's what ruffles people's feathers with this game. Most games with microtransactions don't release once a year, every year. I can boot up Fortnite right now and find everything that I've ever earned in there. Many games leave microtransactions in areas that don't give a player an advantage over another (hence the pay to win aspects). Games that do are typically called out.

If 2K didn't charge 70 dollars for a game that only people who play 2K exclusively could have the time to enjoy, then I could see that score being higher. But considering that being able to fully experience both MyTeam and MyPlayer, without spending a dime on VC, is impossible without putting in more hours in the game than one would a full-time job... And that whatever progress you do make is going to been pointless in a year... I can see why it got that low.
To me, I really don't believe the video game industry, as a whole, will reverse course on microtransactions. As long as people "can't control themselves", microtransactions are here to stay.

Maybe because I'm an older gamer (been playing videogames since the early 80's), but I appreciate and understand the grind to achieve items in videogames. I don't want or care about the instant gratification that microtransactions give people. I don't care about owning the coolest weapon/accessories the game has to to offer. I don't care about chasing clout or being on the top of the leaderboards. These are probably the reason why microtransactions don't bother me or eat at my soul.

It's a videogame. Nothing more, nothing less. I pick up the controller with the intentions of escaping reality for a few hours. I don't have these super high expectations of the perfect game design either. Videogames is my main way of unwinding, but it's not my life's blood. I take it for what it is...entertainment. How can anyone enjoy something when they're always so quick to trash it and take any "imperfection" as a personal attack against the "culture"? It's not that deep.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »