Home

Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

This is a discussion on Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2020, 05:50 AM   #265
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

I think the real issue is that the screens are just too effective. If you get caught on one of them you're just done... Like you're just so far out of the play that it becomes comical. Then you have the lead pass. I realized a few years ago it was a 2 man animation between the passer and the reciver, one that could not be broken by any outside object or player. They've gotten better over the years, but they break some areas in the game.

So now you have overpowering screens, then you have a lead pass mechanism that allows a player to rapidly pull another player on an entirely different angle for a pass catch. That's pure garbage and it's been like this for years.

The only difference is in the past title they used more video game solutions rather than basketball solutions to hide these issues. Moving into nextgen there's a lot of good. However, the issues brought in from last gen really shine now that the A.I is reacting more naturally on defense. So until they come up with a new screen and pass mechanism. It's just gonna be this way.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #266
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Evidence why next gen pick and roll and help defense needs lots of work still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione2014
I think the real issue is that the screens are just too effective. If you get caught on one of them you're just done... Like you're just so far out of the play that it becomes comical. Then you have the lead pass. I realized a few years ago it was a 2 man animation between the passer and the reciver, one that could not be broken by any outside object or player. They've gotten better over the years, but they break some areas in the game.

So now you have overpowering screens, then you have a lead pass mechanism that allows a player to rapidly pull another player on an entirely different angle for a pass catch. That's pure garbage and it's been like this for years.

The only difference is in the past title they used more video game solutions rather than basketball solutions to hide these issues. Moving into nextgen there's a lot of good. However, the issues brought in from last gen really shine now that the A.I is reacting more naturally on defense. So until they come up with a new screen and pass mechanism. It's just gonna be this way.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
I agree on over powered screens. It’s as though everyone has the brick wall screen badge. I think if you drop the strength attribute slider down to 0 it helps reduce this.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #267
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Somebody (Eccentric Meat) needs to create a Google doc of every different thing he has tried and what has worked and what hasn't.

Sad state of affairs in this thread. Yall straight turned on each other over the pick and roll settings. I knew what was going on in here and I stepped in here to see what was going on as I just got on Next Gen. There is always one gameplay mechanic /bug that gets missed or not right every iteration. SMH.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:05 PM   #268
Rookie

Super dumb question but where is the coach profile in my nba? I’ve looked everywhere
Old 01-05-2021, 08:16 AM   #269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
In my experience: 2K16 had decent coverage and even better help defense awareness (as well as great rim protection animations to make you think twice, similar to Cujo's Live 19 remarks) but the corner was wiiiide open everytime.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I never understood the issues with the corner being open. On default the weakside corner should be the one tagging. If you dont want them to then change your offball settings.

I desperately miss the “tag on pick and roll” defensive setting. Since it’s been removed I havent been able to get anyone to consistently tag.

I watched a video of the Czar talking about next gen PnR D and it’s disappointing that he purposely removed actual nba coverages to support online players.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:56 PM   #270
Rookie

you guys think this has any chance of getting patched?
Old 01-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #271
Pro

Just got the game on Next Gen....

Drove with LeBron ten times and NO HELP D at all.

Switched to Philly and posted up Joel for an entire quarter and scored at will....NO DOUBLE team ever came.

I even switched teams and set their D to double Embiid on catch in the post...NO DOUBLE came even after that.

Someone please tell me there is a fix.

Surely there are double teams???
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #272
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Frazier
Just got the game on Next Gen....

Drove with LeBron ten times and NO HELP D at all.

Switched to Philly and posted up Joel for an entire quarter and scored at will....NO DOUBLE team ever came.

I even switched teams and set their D to double Embiid on catch in the post...NO DOUBLE came even after that.

Someone please tell me there is a fix.

Surely there are double teams???
Nope. They disabled double teams. Big mismatch in the post? Doesn’t matter. Won’t happen. And we have gotten absolute silence on this and other things like defensive rotations and PNR defence. Very little has been done since release. Very disappointing to see some glaring issues go unaddressed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »