Home

Shooting in this game is insanely difficult (Current Gen)

This is a discussion on Shooting in this game is insanely difficult (Current Gen) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #17
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Shooting in this game is insanely difficult

I feel bad for 2k in this respect. There are people who think that aim shooting is to easy, and others who think it is to hard.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 11-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #18
Pro

zrohman's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
I feel bad for 2k in this respect. There are people who think that aim shooting is to easy, and others who think it is to hard.
It just takes time to get used to. I had to play several games before I even was remotely okay. And I still airball shots sometimes.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #19
Rookie

Levistick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrohman
It just takes time to get used to. I had to play several games before I even was remotely okay. And I still airball shots sometimes.
But I think the thing that many people - myself included - feel about this is that something so fundamental, i.e. shooting the ball in a basketball game, shouldn't be so complicated.

Timed shooting has been a staple of basketball games since the beginning. Why do they have to re-invent the wheel? And then punish those who don't want to use it by making timed shooting harder
M. Fultz: 15pts., 4 ast. pts.
J. Suggs: 14 pts.
R.J. Hampton: 14 pts.
M. Bamba: 13 pts., 14 reb.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #20
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
I've heard quite a few people say it's better on next gen but honestly it's still way too hard IMO.

I am also just an average 2k player so I'm sure that's the biggest issue.

I love the idea of shot aiming but I finally had to realize it's not for me. I tried to get the hang of it on last gen and really stuck with it in part to justify purchasing 2k21, because shot aiming is essentially all they added new.

I then used it next gen for the first few days but after going 1 for 22 in the fourth quarter I retired it.

I use shot timing now with a clean screen and no meter and it's extremely fun and rewarding.
The aiming thing isn't working out the way it was said - I'm fine with it, but the arc thing is NOT early or late = high arc or flat, it's random imo. I practiced in drills and tried to LT the release early everytime and was getting a lot of rainbow's but also some ideal and flat's ... so idk.

But that's one thing I would miss moving to timing and clean screen (which I would rather in many ways) is sacrificing variety. Like do you get ideal arc all the time or is there variety there?

I had to remove aiming for layups because it is SUPER counter-intuitive to move the stick to match the aiming area depending on where you initated the movement in the first place like left/right/forward it's disorientating for anything other than 'down' like for shooting. I find it hard enough with shooting based on where my guy is on the floor let alone moving layups where you're thinking more about performing a certain move and watching hte player than looking at the HUD/gauge.

if there is a lot of arc variety in timing I might switch to that as the game is so nice to look at I'd rather focus on the player models than gauges anyway.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #21
Rookie

Levistick's Arena

The one thing I will say is that at least I know it is rating dependent.

I took the Warriors into the same freestyle practice, with the same settings, and was draining 3's at a heavy rate with Steph Curry. So I know having a high rating actually matters. That's a positive.

But the counter to that is, I shouldn't have to have a 99 rated 3 point shooter to have even a *chance* to make a 3 point shot. Vuc is a 79 rated 3 point shooter. I should be able to drop 3's with him. Evan Fournier is an 84. Terrence Ross is 80. Aaron Gordon I believe is a 78. I think Jonathan Isaac is somewhere similar. I know Cole Anthony is a 79. Fultz is a mid 70's somewhere. I should be able to have a chance to make buckets with these guys. Maybe not super consistently. But definitely not at a >10% rate when wide open.

And I hate the fact that in order to have a difficulty setting that allows me to reach those acceptable rates, it also ends up dropping the AI down to ridiculously low levels, meaning it is difficult to find a balance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #22
Pro

Bexthelegend's Arena

I haven't played next gen, but if this is true sign me up. I hated how all of last gen everyone could shoot like Curry
Old 11-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #23
Rookie

Levistick's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexthelegend
I haven't played next gen, but if this is true sign me up. I hated how all of last gen everyone could shoot like Curry
The flip side is that now all of my players shoot like I do in real life.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:10 PM   #24
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
The aiming thing isn't working out the way it was said - I'm fine with it, but the arc thing is NOT early or late = high arc or flat, it's random imo. I practiced in drills and tried to LT the release early everytime and was getting a lot of rainbow's but also some ideal and flat's ... so idk.

But that's one thing I would miss moving to timing and clean screen (which I would rather in many ways) is sacrificing variety. Like do you get ideal arc all the time or is there variety there?

I had to remove aiming for layups because it is SUPER counter-intuitive to move the stick to match the aiming area depending on where you initated the movement in the first place like left/right/forward it's disorientating for anything other than 'down' like for shooting. I find it hard enough with shooting based on where my guy is on the floor let alone moving layups where you're thinking more about performing a certain move and watching hte player than looking at the HUD/gauge.

if there is a lot of arc variety in timing I might switch to that as the game is so nice to look at I'd rather focus on the player models than gauges anyway.
I havent noticed much variety in arcs but honestly it's not something I would be looking for. I honestly forgot arc variance was a thing they added till I read what you said lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »