Home

Bird exception and RFA issue ?

This is a discussion on Bird exception and RFA issue ? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #1
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

OVR: 0
Bird exception and RFA issue ?

Hi guys,

I have something i dont get with Bird exception for RFA (i may do a video if unclear) but long story short:
  • I have 42M cap room
  • I have a RFA Jackson (former Grizzly) which i got from a trade.
  • I have tendered him + maintained a cap hold on him
  • I expect to use 32M of the 42M cap room to sign an UFA such as Bradley Beal.
  • Then I am looking to go over the salary cap matching an offer from the Miami Heat on Jackson. And i expect to be able to do so since he is bird eligible.
  • And it does not work The game tells me i dont have enough cap to sign Bradley Beal.

What am i missing ?

"Sad to say but trades in madden leagues come down to who can take the most advantage of the dumbest users" Jack Wallace
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2021, 07:20 PM   #2
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

Re: Bird exception and RFA issue ?

Ok i figured that if I make a bid on first moratorium day to both Beal (the UFA) and Jackson (the RFA), i can sign both.

BUUUUUUT

Jackson ends up with a 6.6M/year contract when i negotiated a 5 years/154M.

This makes absolutely no sense to me.

"Sad to say but trades in madden leagues come down to who can take the most advantage of the dumbest users" Jack Wallace
Old 07-09-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmac75
Ok i figured that if I make a bid on first moratorium day to both Beal (the UFA) and Jackson (the RFA), i can sign both.

BUUUUUUT

Jackson ends up with a 6.6M/year contract when i negotiated a 5 years/154M.

This makes absolutely no sense to me.
what i recognized 3 years ago when I actually played offline League a lot, that RFA does Not really work that Well. you May offer your own RFA a normal contract, that they wanna sign and in the end they still tend to get signed to the Qualifying offer for 1 season.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
Pro

El_Tercero's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
what i recognized 3 years ago when I actually played offline League a lot, that RFA does Not really work that Well. you May offer your own RFA a normal contract, that they wanna sign and in the end they still tend to get signed to the Qualifying offer for 1 season.

I believe this is a bug. RFAs are agreeing to multi year contracts, but then they only end up with the qualifying offer as their contract. I've seen it happen plenty of times.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:31 AM   #5
MVP

coachmac75's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
That is exactly what i got

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
Rookie

steeleye5's Arena

Is it possible to circumvent this by not offering a qualifying offer to begin with?

I drafted a guy that ended up being 95+ Overall and got screwed because I didn't know about this glitch and ended up losing him to another team during the next offseason.

I'm in a similar situation again with 2 other players that I would love not to lose, but now I'm mildly curious if I may have more success by not throwing a qualifying offer their way.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
Pro

El_Tercero's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleye5
Is it possible to circumvent this by not offering a qualifying offer to begin with?

I drafted a guy that ended up being 95+ Overall and got screwed because I didn't know about this glitch and ended up losing him to another team during the next offseason.

I'm in a similar situation again with 2 other players that I would love not to lose, but now I'm mildly curious if I may have more success by not throwing a qualifying offer their way.

I believe that you have to offer him the qualifying offer in order for you to keep him as a restricted free agent. If you don't give him the qualifying offer then he will become an UFA.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #8
Rookie

MikeBadge's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmac75
Hi guys,

I have something i dont get with Bird exception for RFA (i may do a video if unclear) but long story short:
  • I have 42M cap room
  • I have a RFA Jackson (former Grizzly) which i got from a trade.
  • I have tendered him + maintained a cap hold on him
  • I expect to use 32M of the 42M cap room to sign an UFA such as Bradley Beal.
  • Then I am looking to go over the salary cap matching an offer from the Miami Heat on Jackson. And i expect to be able to do so since he is bird eligible.
  • And it does not work The game tells me i dont have enough cap to sign Bradley Beal.

What am i missing ?
Once Jackson signs an offer from the Heat that becomes his cap hold for you until you choose whether match or not. So you can't wait to pay him until after you pay Beal. The money is already on your books.

IRL teams circumvent this by "agreeing" to deals with their RFA but waiting until they're done making off season moves to actually sign it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »