Home

The mystery of the missing off-ball contact animations (next gen)

This is a discussion on The mystery of the missing off-ball contact animations (next gen) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Sports Game of the Year in 2020: MLB The Show 20
Best Racing Game in 2020: F1 2020
Best Franchise Mode in 2020: Super Mega Baseball 3
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The mystery of the missing off-ball contact animations (next gen)

Re: next gen version

How did reviews miss this?

Did 2K purposely do this to add these animations back next year as a 'feature'?

To be clear, there ARE collision animations with the ball handler, rebound box-outs and shot contesting.

However there ARE NOT animations between players off the ball and not involved in the actions mentioned above.

Players will just slide around each other's invisible force fields. They won't collide. They won't push off or grab each other.

This is absolutely bizarre.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: The mystery of the missing off-ball contact animations

"How did reviews miss this?"

Ya'll have a flair for the dramatic man , lmao

Czar mentioned tuning these down were a necessary evil to prevent all the triggered swim moves and animations taking guys out of position....and it does make a difference. Base defense is more sound.

I'm sure they'll be implemented as it evolves.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

Czar mentioned tuning these down were a necessary evil to prevent all the triggered swim moves and animations taking guys out of position....and it does make a difference. Base defense is more sound.

Ehh. That does suck if true. That's my whole game haha. Str sliders should be able to fix this. The globbiness of 2k is a problem but if you are a physical big and can't body people that's absolutely awful.

No joke that's 75% of my defense and rebounding.

"ain't you seen my movies!!?!?"

-Smak
Old 11-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
Ehh. That does suck if true. That's my whole game haha. Str sliders should be able to fix this. The globbiness of 2k is a problem but if you are a physical big and can't body people that's absolutely awful.

No joke that's 75% of my defense and rebounding.

"ain't you seen my movies!!?!?"

-Smak
Old 11-28-2020, 11:33 PM   #5
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

And now we have 0 animations and instead players just run in place as they collide with the invisible force field, which STILL takes players out of position with the added benefit of looking absolutely ridiculous.

Iím sorry but this is a completely basic, fundamental aspect of basketball that canít just be yeeted because they thought that was a solution. The coverage on screen plays is the worst itís ever been because the game doesnít trigger animations that allow the defender to fight their way towards the shooter. If a player is in the way, the game sees this as an impassable barrier and makes the AI defender try to run all the way around all nearby players before he can then be directed to run towards the shooter.

This completely ruins the look and feel of the game, coupled with ruining a core aspect of off-ball defense. Call me dramatic but I see this as a huge deal
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2020, 11:42 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat
And now we have 0 animations and instead players just run in place as they collide with the invisible force field, which STILL takes players out of position with the added benefit of looking absolutely ridiculous.

Iím sorry but this is a completely basic, fundamental aspect of basketball that canít just be yeeted because they thought that was a solution. The coverage on screen plays is the worst itís ever been because the game doesnít trigger animations that allow the defender to fight their way towards the shooter. If a player is in the way, the game sees this as an impassable barrier and makes the AI defender try to run all the way around all nearby players before he can then be directed to run towards the shooter.

This completely ruins the look and feel of the game, coupled with ruining a core aspect of off-ball defense. Call me dramatic but I see this as a huge deal

Iíve been a lurker of OS for years and follow your sliders always...... Iíve never seen u this critical of a 2K game, which is strange since I think this is the best one to date and itís not that close

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-29-2020, 12:35 AM   #7
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricMeat

I disagree. It's not as if physicality has completely been removed.

If in your opinion, off ball contact animations were the construct holding together 2K's defense...lol.....the state of defense the last few years alone prove it was time for a change.

What comes before ANYTHING defensively, is the concept of keeping your man in front of you. Those unnecessary swim moves and shifts were making that basic skill a lot more difficult than it should have been. I'm more interested in that progress. The aesthetics can wait.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 11-29-2020 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:16 AM   #8
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
I disagree. It's not as if physicality has completely been removed.

If in your opinion, off ball contact animations were the construct holding together 2K's defense...lol.....the state of defense the last few years alone prove it was time for a change.

What comes before ANYTHING defensively, is the concept of keeping your man in front of you. Those unnecessary swim moves and shifts were making that basic skill a lot more difficult than it should have been. I'm more interested in that progress. The aesthetics can wait.

They should have focused on fixing the unrealistic/slow swim moves instead of throwing in the towel and removing contact completely. Watch the AI defenders when they need to close distance on their assignment: if a player is in the way at all they either 1) completely dumb out leaving the man wide open, or 2) circle all the way around any players in the way and THEN close the distance, again leaving their man wide open.

This breaks on-ball and off-ball defense AI completely. 2Kís ďsolutionĒ made the problem actually worse, and thatís even if you ignore how ridiculous it makes the game look and feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strosdood
Iíve been a lurker of OS for years and follow your sliders always...... Iíve never seen u this critical of a 2K game, which is strange since I think this is the best one to date and itís not that close

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Donít get me wrong, 2K21 is fantastic 90% of the time and does so many things incredibly well. But it has MAJOR issues pertaining to some of the most fundamental aspects of basketball: PnR defense, help defense/rotations as a whole, and off-ball contact.

Iím critical because if they fixed or at least improved these fundamental issues, this game might just be the GOAT of the series.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »