Home

Blocked Passes & Offense Recovering the ball

This is a discussion on Blocked Passes & Offense Recovering the ball within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Blocked Passes & Offense Recovering the ball

Few legacy issues get under my skin more. Want to balance the game? Stop allowing offensive players to recover the ball by such a wide margin...and blocked passes? UGH. This guy is pretty good and no one can blame him for being excited because OT fell into his lap, but its terrible gameplay.

Above is one of the reasons "built from the ground up" isn't a real thing. This should have been an easy pass to Bam.

Blocked passes really speak to the balance of basic defender/offensive player interactions. I've always preferred square for pass deflections so that a defender has an option to 1) play the pass or 2) try to defend a shot with contesting or via a block attempt.

Its never seemed right to put the offense in a No Win Scenario and allow the defender to button mash and guess wrong but still get a favorable outcome. Rock, Paper, Scissors and Counters have to be the basis for gameplay.

When we fool the other user plays like the drop-off pass have to be an option.

Last edited by Kushmir; 12-01-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Blocked Passes & Offense Recovering the ball

Well in the other Hand it shouldnt matter if a defender steals, Blocks or just stands There, if the Ball Hits his body it should get deflected.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
Well in the other Hand it shouldnt matter if a defender steals, Blocks or just stands There, if the Ball Hits his body it should get deflected.
We disagree there. The physics of the game will never be perfect. IMO here's where you put balance in front of realism. Otherise you have stuff like this:

I did this in 2K19. I was trying to contest what I thought was a pull-up by Green. There's no outcome where it can turn into a deflection (then steal) when I flat out guessed wrong. that's the No Win Scenario I described above where the defense can perform one action and there's no counter to it.

Last edited by Kushmir; 12-01-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Bit of a cake and eat it too situation. Not just from a realism perspective. I know we talk a lot about in-paint and big to big passing as well. I believe you have a thread it

The more we eliminate body detection, we the harder we make that to accomplish. There needs to be middle ground.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Bit of a cake and eat it too situation. Not just from a realism perspective. I know we talk a lot about in-paint and big to big passing as well. I believe you have a thread it.

The more we eliminate body detection, we the harder we make that to accomplish. There needs to be middle ground.
Yeah you knooooooow i'm passionate about lowering passes into the paint (especially big to big passing) with out of bounds deflections. I've always had the view it can change gameplay. You see those passes go off bodies often? I dont. IMO its more about aware defenders like below:

Last edited by Kushmir; 12-01-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Been watching alot of this guy too. Good player but also knows the mechanics really well--steal spam still has no downside. Watch him move and try to anticipate steals in zone where the ball never comes.

Absolutely no downside. Gotta be honest these are the things I thought would be resolved going into the next gen.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:30 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Been watching alot of this guy too. Good player but also knows the mechanics really well--steal spam still has no downside. Watch him move and try to anticipate steals in zone where the ball never comes.

Absolutely no downside. Gotta be honest these are the things I thought would be resolved going into the next gen.
Passing is the same as last gen, there is no upgrade & long passes are too OP. am I playing 2k or madden? thought it would be better with options
Old 12-08-2020, 01:51 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

I like how, at least on current gen, when the ball gets loose, you can actually tap around with steal and continue to fight for it. Plus body up against people, etc. I find I can muscle a lot of balls.

That's really what it needs to be, more of a mini-game, anyway, if your get your hands on something. Too little, they get the ball, too much you get a foul, just right, you get the ball.

2k needs more depth!! And fixing 'legacy issues' with ideas like that seems legit, to me.

-Smak

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »