Home

The best 2k ever minus the defensive settings.

This is a discussion on The best 2k ever minus the defensive settings. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #1
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
The best 2k ever minus the defensive settings.

I have been one to criticize 2k for a lot of different reasons, and I was not a fan of most of last gen’s 2ks. 2k14 through 2k20 were disappointing as a whole. Glitched and/or not working features. Poor game mechanics. Legacy issues. Gameplay direction. Almost killed the franchise for me. I barley touched 2k20 or 2k19.

With all that being said 2k21 next gen is by far the most realistic 2k, in user v user 5 on 5 real nba teams gameplay. The game is not perfect, but it is way better then any other 2k in user v user action and it isn’t even close.

The help defense is trash. The only way to play respectable defense is to know when to go off ball and bring manual help defense. The non working defensive settings really kill a lot of the fun of playing defense in 2k21. On the other side of things, I think that the on ball defense is the most realistic on ball defense of any game ever made. The difference between a good and a bad defender are clear, and you can not keep a person like Kyrie Irving or Lebron from driving to the paint.

The shooting is a little OP with certain players and shot releases, however on HOF there are a lot of guys you can leave open and it is brick city for the average 2k user. The shot aiming mechanic was also a great addition, and I hope they keep this in the game and make it even more realistic and rating dependent.

This game has very little cheese, and I have yet to run into any one thing that you can not counter. Off ball defense is easily beat. Zone defense is easily beat. You can prevent people from scoring in the paint. 3 pointers are not overpowered for 95 percent of the teams and players. Fast breaks are not overpowered.

It is well balanced, and realistic and fun. I am surprised at how many people have expressed unhappiness with the gameplay.

After almost 2 months of playing Next Gen. I would like to give 2k a thumbs up for opening up a new console with the best 2k ever.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: The best 2k ever minus the defensive settings.

Unfortunately, not a lot of people play 5v5 H2H. (compared to the rest of the community) The ones that do are playing on an "All-Star-ish" level in PNO.

So I don't know how many will agree...but I feel you Rob, lol

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2021, 12:19 PM   #3
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Unfortunately, not a lot of people play 5v5 H2H. (compared to the rest of the community) The ones that do are playing on an "All-Star-ish" level in PNO.

So I don't know how many will agree...but I feel you Rob, lol

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Ha.

90 percent of the posts are negative. I dont want 2k to go away from this year's gameplay. So i was hoping they know someone appreciates the game.

Settings I play on.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
MVP

BaselineBakes's Arena

OVR: 6

I think this game plays an awesome game of basketball under the right circumstances and am happy with the direction. I wish that a lot of the defensive AI that was removed was replaced in time for next gen release. Unfortunately it wasn't but I can see it getting there. The framework exists and is promising and I'm looking forward to them smartening up the defense eventually.

I think it's important to remember that most people that are happy with the game are busy actually playing it. Gauging the reaction to the game based on a forum or social media will never paint the real picture.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
I have been one to criticize 2k for a lot of different reasons, and I was not a fan of most of last gen’s 2ks. 2k14 through 2k20 were disappointing as a whole. Glitched and/or not working features. Poor game mechanics. Legacy issues. Gameplay direction. Almost killed the franchise for me. I barley touched 2k20 or 2k19.

With all that being said 2k21 next gen is by far the most realistic 2k, in user v user 5 on 5 real nba teams gameplay. The game is not perfect, but it is way better then any other 2k in user v user action and it isn’t even close.

The help defense is trash. The only way to play respectable defense is to know when to go off ball and bring manual help defense. The non working defensive settings really kill a lot of the fun of playing defense in 2k21. On the other side of things, I think that the on ball defense is the most realistic on ball defense of any game ever made. The difference between a good and a bad defender are clear, and you can not keep a person like Kyrie Irving or Lebron from driving to the paint.

The shooting is a little OP with certain players and shot releases, however on HOF there are a lot of guys you can leave open and it is brick city for the average 2k user. The shot aiming mechanic was also a great addition, and I hope they keep this in the game and make it even more realistic and rating dependent.

This game has very little cheese, and I have yet to run into any one thing that you can not counter. Off ball defense is easily beat. Zone defense is easily beat. You can prevent people from scoring in the paint. 3 pointers are not overpowered for 95 percent of the teams and players. Fast breaks are not overpowered.

It is well balanced, and realistic and fun. I am surprised at how many people have expressed unhappiness with the gameplay.

After almost 2 months of playing Next Gen. I would like to give 2k a thumbs up for opening up a new console with the best 2k ever.
I agree and great post. I think the balance movement and overall immersion of the game is headed in the right direction. They still have alot of work to do with help defense and ai logic to entail player foul logic, coaching logic, and I am not a big fan of some of the player models. But this is a good start the only thing I fear is that they will start to band aid some of these problems at the sake of player movement. I think this will speed up the game and reintroduce unwanted player sliding. But the great thing about next gen is that I can never go back to current gen its not even close.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2021, 12:51 PM   #6
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

This is in terms of user vs CPU:

The player movement is so much better than last gen. User on ball defense is actually useable and fun. Graphics are great(minus the washed out red and yellows) Presentation still awesome. Crowds I love(minus no jerseys) Seeing them all chant with an arm pump in unison MVP MVP is cool. Shooting feels great. MyNBA being a mix of MyLeague and MyGM is absolutely perfect. I tried playing last gen and no way I could go back.

The AI is just not good and that's such a huge problem. Especially defensively. The pace is also a major issue. The offense is just way faster than the defense and you can take a good iso guy like Harden and break down any defense
way too easily for uncontested finishes at the rim every possession. And they wont adapt and double team.

Being that the problem is the AI I have no problem believing that head to head this is the best 2k ever I just wish the title of the thread mentioned you were talking about user vs user.

All that being said though, with user made rosters, tweaked sliders and a house rule of no manual calling picks, I'm having a blast. I cant stop playing. I have never had this much fun with a 2k game so obviously they did a lot right.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
2K OL Legend

amedawg00's Arena

OVR: 15

My only gripe is the OP green machine stuff where you can literally green every shot if you master the timing. If they toned down greens, this would be the best 5v5 head to head user v user gameplay in 2k history. I don’t understand this philosophy of wanting to make greens so easy as it’s a 100% make which is ridiculous in its own right. If they simply went with current gen 2k21 green success rate it would be perfect. Greens in a sim setting need to be addressed going forward. Perhaps make it OP in pro am and park and other causal modes but in PNO or MyNBA Online, tone it down as NBA players don’t go 7/10 from 3 just because their shot form is perfect. The contested greens are the bane of my existence, otherwise the overall gameplay and balance between offense and defense is stellar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[XLSL SIX NBA 2K11 Champion]

[NSBA SIV NBA 2K11 Champion]

[NSBA SVI NBA 2K12 Champion]

[SCH SI NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SII NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SIII NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SIV NBA 2K16 Champion]

[SCH SV NBA 2K18 Champion]
Old 01-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #8
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedawg00
My only gripe is the OP green machine stuff where you can literally green every shot if you master the timing. If they toned down greens, this would be the best 5v5 head to head user v user gameplay in 2k history. I don’t understand this philosophy of wanting to make greens so easy as it’s a 100% make which is ridiculous in its own right. If they simply went with current gen 2k21 green success rate it would be perfect. Greens in a sim setting need to be addressed going forward. Perhaps make it OP in pro am and park and other causal modes but in PNO or MyNBA Online, tone it down as NBA players don’t go 7/10 from 3 just because their shot form is perfect. The contested greens are the bane of my existence, otherwise the overall gameplay and balance between offense and defense is stellar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just give us an option. They have options for green release showing. They could just have the option that says perfect release On or Off.

Settings I play on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »