Home

Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them?

This is a discussion on Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
How SDS Can Improve the 'Full Minors' Feature for MLB The Show 21
Top 10 Shootout Players to Fear in NHL 21
Skatebird Preview - Updated Hands-On With New Rooftop Level
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #1
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Sep 2011
Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them?

I was just thinking of ideal Player Development in MyLeague... If I drafted a talented rookie with high Potential, and he's meant to be a cornerstone to my franchise, is there any benefit to playing him and giving him substantial minutes in his first few seasons? To me, unless I'm contending and I NEED him, it feels the priority should be to really develop him while he's in his Growth phase.

For instance, the Warriors this year drafted James Wiseman. With Klay Thompson out for the season, even if they made the playoffs, I don't see them getting very far. To me, it feels like the contention window will really open up next year when Klay Thompson returns and Wiseman is in Year 2.

Is there any benefit to giving Wiseman minutes, or does it make more sense to prioritize giving him Very High intensity training? Does giving him play time do anything for his development?
iamwubbie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
MVP
 
Therebelyell626's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwubbie
I was just thinking of ideal Player Development in MyLeague... If I drafted a talented rookie with high Potential, and he's meant to be a cornerstone to my franchise, is there any benefit to playing him and giving him substantial minutes in his first few seasons? To me, unless I'm contending and I NEED him, it feels the priority should be to really develop him while he's in his Growth phase.

For instance, the Warriors this year drafted James Wiseman. With Klay Thompson out for the season, even if they made the playoffs, I don't see them getting very far. To me, it feels like the contention window will really open up next year when Klay Thompson returns and Wiseman is in Year 2.

Is there any benefit to giving Wiseman minutes, or does it make more sense to prioritize giving him Very High intensity training? Does giving him play time do anything for his development?
Iíve done a few test franchises with several different teams since I have gotten the game, to test things such as development etc. I used default myleague sliders as I am not advanced enough to move things around.

Young player development feels quite random to me. If had guy start in their rookie/sophomore year and do pretty well, and still go down in potential. Iíve also had guys not play at all and develop a ton. In one franchise I did with the kings I had tyrese haliburton as my 6th man playing 25 minutes a game. He only averaged like 8 pts, 4 asst, and like 3.2 rebounds, but his per 36 were amazing (16 ppg, 7.9 ***, 4.5 reb; something like that). At the end of the season his overal progressed to 79 but his potential dropped from 83 to 79 in his rookie year! So while he got better his long term outlook suffered.

To me it feels completely random but I would love to hear someone else with more knowledge of the progression systems inner working weigh in
Therebelyell626 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #3
Pro
 
dwayne12345's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Dec 2010
Re: Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them?

Training is more important than minutes. Too many minutes for a rookie can get them injured and hurt their potential. Not enough practices can also hurt their potential by not progressing fast enough.


Also each player is different. Look at their work ethic to see how much you can practice them. If you over practice a non legendary or high work ethic player you will get diminishing returns to their growth.


I haven't seen minutes factored into the growth equation of a player though. So giving players 36 minutes doesn't seem to help them improve (aside from keeping their morale high)
dwayne12345 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
MVP
 
howardphillips214's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jan 2018
Re: Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them?

Tyrell Terry has a 91 three rating but no badges. I have him starting at the 2 spot and has been averaging about 12ppg in the playoffs. His potential is only 80 and he’s 79 right now. I wish if players played well they could raise their potential. Like.. say we win the championship this year. That should boost his potential a ton for having championship experience. Hell having playoff experience should raise his OVR and potential if they play well. Superstars should also rise and fall due to playoff performances.
howardphillips214 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:16 PM   #5
Rookie
 
TitanUP2's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jan 2011
Re: Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them?

Is there a training development tutorial anywhere? Or like a guide on what to do between games? Or even what you guys do for development of not only rookies but younger guys?

I usually never play more than one season due to I play all 82 games + playoffs if i make it. But was curious how all the training and other stuff that happens between the games does. Never sat down to learn it all.
TitanUP2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2021, 01:04 AM   #6
MVP
 
itsmb8's Arena
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: May 2011
Re: Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
Tyrell Terry has a 91 three rating but no badges. I have him starting at the 2 spot and has been averaging about 12ppg in the playoffs. His potential is only 80 and heís 79 right now. I wish if players played well they could raise their potential. Like.. say we win the championship this year. That should boost his potential a ton for having championship experience. Hell having playoff experience should raise his OVR and potential if they play well. Superstars should also rise and fall due to playoff performances.
They can. 2K gives you a potential rating along with a maximum and minimum potential. if his potential is 80 his max is probably 85-90.
__________________
PSN / Xbox GT - BLUEnYELLOW28
itsmb8 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #7
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Oct 2015
Re: Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them?

Next Gen also had boom/bust/ average % so this is a factor in the Randomness. Helps make 2nd round picks possibly good and 1st round picks not always great. Don't forget you can increase potential (3) in off season training.
Rabbott24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:55 AM   #8
MVP
 
OVR: 14
Join Date: May 2003
Re: Rookie: Any Development Benefit to Starting Them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbott24
Next Gen also had boom/bust/ average % so this is a factor in the Randomness. Helps make 2nd round picks possibly good and 1st round picks not always great. Don't forget you can increase potential (3) in off season training.
They could have implemented this in current gen, yet chose not to..
500bloc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 AM.

Top -