Home

Anyone care to talk about the job listings 2K/VC has up?

This is a discussion on Anyone care to talk about the job listings 2K/VC has up? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8

Job listings generally provide strong insight as to where a company is headed.

Let's have a look at what's open for 2K games in Novato, CA.

For those not in the know, Visual Concepts, the development team behind NBA 2K, is located in Novato.

I'm not going to list all of the job listings, because there's a ton, but here's some standouts.

The Machine Learning Engineer role stood out for this one point.

Quote:
Help design and develop machine learning models to solve classification, pose estimation, character transition, and mesh generation problems.
I'm predicting 2K is making an attempt to move away from "canimations", or at the very least provide seamless transitions between animations without them appearing jarring to the user.

Next Gen 2K definitely has a few "huh" or "what" moments. They tend to occur most frequently when there are clear transition points, like gathering for a shot attempt or going for a steal and or shot contest.

I'm also predicting 2K is going for an A.I. which behaves more like a human? As in making actions based on predicted outcomes, and adjusting over the duration of the game, series, or season. Very much like machine learning, but on the fly.

So the end result isn't the fake difficulty we've been given since the Dreamcast days.

What do you all think? ��
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by luda06
Job listings generally provide strong insight as to where a company is headed.

The Machine Learning Engineer role stood out for this one point.

I'm predicting 2K is making an attempt to move away from "canimations", or at the very least provide seamless transitions between animations without them appearing jarring to the user.

Wow. Interesting find. I really hope that the Machine Learning Engineer and the references to animations and pose estimation is VC’s intent to pursue what Ubisoft has been pioneering:

https://montreal.ubisoft.com/en/intr...tion-matching/

What it would mean would be context appropriate animations that would respond to input and environment without breaks and glitches. I’ve been fascinated by this and tracking it for awhile, but I wonder how much more challenging this would be to properly synthesize all the responsive, quick micro movements and footwork that’s involved in basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sundown; 02-12-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #3
Pro

Re: Anyone care to talk about the job listings 2K/VC has up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Wow. Interesting find. I really hope that the Machine Learning Engineer and the references to animations and pose estimation is VC’s intent to pursue what Ubisoft has been pioneering:

https://montreal.ubisoft.com/en/intr...tion-matching/

What it would mean would be context appropriate animations that would respond to input and environment without breaks and glitches. I’ve been fascinated by this and tracking it for awhile, but I wonder how much more challenging this would be to properly synthesize all the responsive, quick micro movements and footwork that’s involved in basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yo, that is awesome.

With machine learning, all of the hard work is within creating a model that produces desirable results. Once the model is in place, it's smooth sailing for the most part.

Definitely not easy work, but the payoff will be amazing.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by luda06
Yo, that is awesome.

With machine learning, all of the hard work is within creating a model that produces desirable results. Once the model is in place, it's smooth sailing for the most part.

Definitely not easy work, but the payoff will be amazing.
This is awesome. Im dreading the the griping thats gonna overtake the universe while they transition.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #5
MVP

I always feel like I should email Ronnie 2K or someone for using my signature shots. I couldn't even begin to think how one could debate the non-player signature shots they have are better. Just not sure how I would go about doing that because I feel like they would have changed it a while ago if they thought it were a problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #6
Rookie

XxStew21xx's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zten11
I always feel like I should email Ronnie 2K or someone for using my signature shots. I couldn't even begin to think how one could debate the non-player signature shots they have are better. Just not sure how I would go about doing that because I feel like they would have changed it a while ago if they thought it were a problem.
You should. What do you have to lose
Old 02-17-2021, 10:51 AM   #7
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zten11

You should definitely do that though I think that contacting Mike Stauffer, who is responsible for rosters, would be far more practical than contacting Ronnie, who is just the community clown that has no say in the game at all. Or at least contact both.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »