Home

A modest proposal: Remove zone defense from 2k

This is a discussion on A modest proposal: Remove zone defense from 2k within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2021, 01:54 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
A modest proposal: Remove zone defense from 2k

I understand that zone defenses are occasionally played in NBA basketball. However, the zone is not properly implemented in 2k. It's overpowered because of 2k's flawed passing, lack of momentum after catching the basketball, and poor positioning.

There's nothing more frustrating than making the right pass against a zone defense only for the combination of a slow moving pass, poor positioning, and lack of ability to move immediately after catching the ball to give the defense the advantage right back. It's broken and often abused in online games. The zone should leave wide open jump shots and open cutting lanes, but turnovers are more common.

2k should instead invest more time and energy in improving the help defense AI and adding more options to tune your defense. For example, help rules, sink defender options, preloading, etc. All of these concepts are based on zone concepts, but not actual zone defense and they require more skill and knowledge of basketball to execute.

Just my modest proposal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2021, 05:02 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: A modest proposal: Remove zone defense from 2k

I have absolutely no idea/experienced the exact opposite why you would say that zone defense is OP.

You can easily outpass, outsmart a zone defense, especially with the right freelance and of course the right personell. 2k is messing up so many rotations defensively which leaves sooo many blind spots for the defense when playing zone.

Maybe you should try to watch some YouTube movies how to beat a zone?

PS: I play current gen.
Old 02-19-2021, 05:27 AM   #3
MVP

jk31's Arena

The zone in 2k is implemented so badly, they completely neglect that a zone should rotate depending on where the ball is.

They leave the corners wide open all the time, because they stick to their spot outside the paint, sometimes they double the ball handler on one side leaving the weak side wide open. It's so easy to beat a zone in this game.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 2

I wouldn't say they have to remove it... just the opposite, they should implement zone defenses way better (because they are atrocious right now) and with much more variety... in fact, zones and zone concepts are more and more used in the real NBA nowadays.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #5
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

They need to put back the 2-3 zone and Horns freelances which were zone killers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #6
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

I agree with everyone else...I never really thought the zone was OP. Good freelances and Icon Passing can usually carve a zone defense up especially if you're able to score in different manners (i.e. mid-range jumpers, post moves, etc). Zone defenses really on work on people who are deadset on only shooting 3's or getting dunks. Hell...that's really the only time that I personally use it myself.

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-20-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:42 AM   #7
MVP

tru11's Arena

1-3-1 zone used to be OP when you controlled the dude in the middle lol.

Put an athletic fast guy there and you could help out on the entire half court.

Used to be my go to in pno to mix things up.

2-3 and 3-2 where easy to beat if you can shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-21-2021, 01:28 AM   #8
Pro

timsmooth503pa's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard-ian
I wouldn't say they have to remove it... just the opposite, they should implement zone defenses way better (because they are atrocious right now) and with much more variety... in fact, zones and zone concepts are more and more used in the real NBA nowadays.
The AI doesn't even play zone I put every team zone usage on 100 and they'll play it off the tip and then it's straight man the whole game

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »