Home

Mike Wang Twitter Poll On Shot Aiming

This is a discussion on Mike Wang Twitter Poll On Shot Aiming within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Mike Wang Twitter Poll On Shot Aiming

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
Greens are the real problem the community doesn’t want to admit. There was a patch yesterday that killed the aiming scripts on current gen..2k claims zens are gone.

Far from the truth there are still excellent timing scripts on current gen and they’re working on one for next gen. Excellent scripts are the worst cause they’re hard to detect.

double post but lol.

I didn't play yest, so I dunno. Still kinda wanna see. The aiming scripts are way more OP tho. I'm sorry but all those people went thru and remade builds w/ whatever was necessary to green w/ a zen and if they actually fixed it... RIP. Gonna prol fire it up tonight.

It's not hard FOR ME to detect excellent scripts because the 85% of dudes who are using them can not even properly move their player around LOL. I stopped doin YouTube crap but I mean I could do that and get tons of people banned if 2k actually cared about stopping this cheating. The amount of people who are HOT TRASH at every other aspect of the game, super late pass timing, cant dribble except a few moves (hmm), then are wet on every J yea ok.

Like I said before, let me say it again and pull s'more of my hair out. When you have a game that sells VC... you buy the super pack for 100 or 150 or whatever, so you can ball out. IF you have the option to spend money on a controller that will let you make every shot, it's almost a no brainer. It's a smarter investment. How easy is it gonna be to get all your badges anyway + vc.

-Smak
Old 04-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Shot aim looks to be going the way of maddens (vision cone, if you guys remember that).

One and done......
Wang tried shot aim in 17 when you got a boost for pulling the stick directly down. This is something he's been trying to put in the game for years. Not exactly a one and done, but I think the horse is dead at this point.

Ironically Madden's vision cone was a step towards simulation that the community mostly rejected (I loved it, personally). Conceptually, shot aiming doesn't get a lot of hate, and those that put some time into it have mostly said they enjoy the feature from what I've seen. The cheating through zen is what broke it, but there have been timing scripts around anyway. This is always going to be a dynamic.

I don't see the middle ground; I lack the perspective. People want to compete on this game (At least with their MyPlayers) and leaving shot percentages to RNG is never going to sell.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:10 PM   #35
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
Wang tried shot aim in 17 when you got a boost for pulling the stick directly down. This is something he's been trying to put in the game for years. Not exactly a one and done, but I think the horse is dead at this point.

Ironically Madden's vision cone was a step towards simulation that the community mostly rejected (I loved it, personally). Conceptually, shot aiming doesn't get a lot of hate, and those that put some time into it have mostly said they enjoy the feature from what I've seen. The cheating through zen is what broke it, but there have been timing scripts around anyway. This is always going to be a dynamic.

I don't see the middle ground; I lack the perspective. People want to compete on this game (At least with their MyPlayers) and leaving shot percentages to RNG is never going to sell.

But "people" don't see that competing is done through playing better, not timing/aiming better. If everyone hits in regards to their rating and shot quality, then it is again same chance for both parties, exactly like it is right now. Just with realistic numbers...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #36
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:

I tried it both times. NBA 2K17 wasn't as bad. For me (and still is technically), my broken thumb just made it hard for me to pull the stick straight down. To be fair, when I turned the aiming off in NBA 2K17, the RS was still functional and responsive. To me, it was neither here or there. I was happy that I could still use the RS like I was doing before.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:52 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
But "people" don't see that competing is done through playing better, not timing/aiming better. If everyone hits in regards to their rating and shot quality, then it is again same chance for both parties, exactly like it is right now. Just with realistic numbers...
I think, generally, the "comp" population does understand it takes more than shooting. Others have noted such in this thread, "Getting back on D and contesting shooters/pnr defense is what determines who wins." (Smak, 2021)

I understand the basis for the argument, I just don't know if I agree with taking the control out of the user's hands. When I consider two equally competent teams creating similar or even identical scoring opportunities, I don't get excited about leaving it up to 2K to decide who wins. It's like when the MyPlayer blows an open dunk; that is a disgusting feeling.

It's not a hill I would die on, but I think from a business standpoint it is not in the developers best interest to take the user out of that mechanic and leave it up for a formula. If users desire simulated outcomes they can do so by themselves or in leagues with RPP.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:

The aiming feature goes back to nba live. Not sure it’s the one he worked on but what we got now is almost a carbon copy of what live had. I hope they keep it and improve upon it for 2k22.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #39
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
I think, generally, the "comp" population does understand it takes more than shooting. Others have noted such in this thread, "Getting back on D and contesting shooters/pnr defense is what determines who wins." (Smak, 2021)

I understand the basis for the argument, I just don't know if I agree with taking the control out of the user's hands. When I consider two equally competent teams creating similar or even identical scoring opportunities, I don't get excited about leaving it up to 2K to decide who wins. It's like when the MyPlayer blows an open dunk; that is a disgusting feeling.

It's not a hill I would die on, but I think from a business standpoint it is not in the developers best interest to take the user out of that mechanic and leave it up for a formula. If users desire simulated outcomes they can do so by themselves or in leagues with RPP.
I have to disagree. Some form of RNG should be part of the success probability. The problem with the leaving it strictly to the user is that they will always always find a way to make sure that they can hit 100% of shots whether it's using certain animations, using exploits, creating the contextual situation (constant use of a screen for example), etc. If you want the honest to God truth, I believe the current generation of gamers is scared of competition if they have to compete without an "unintended" advantage. That's why "The best...." or "How to build the best...." are so popular on YouTube. Personally, I create what I create, and I roll with it.

And no...I'm not going to play the "If NBA players were open 100% of the time and used perfect mechanics, they would hit blah blah blah blah." game. If they could, then they would be doing it. It's that simple to me.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:47 PM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I have to disagree. Some form of RNG should be part of the success probability. The problem with the leaving it strictly to the user is that they will always always find a way to make sure that they can hit 100% of shots whether it's using certain animations, using exploits, creating the contextual situation (constant use of a screen for example), etc. If you want the honest to God truth, I believe the current generation of gamers is scared of competition if they have to compete without an "unintended" advantage. That's why "The best...." or "How to build the best...." are so popular on YouTube. Personally, I create what I create, and I roll with it.

And no...I'm not going to play the "If NBA players were open 100% of the time and used perfect mechanics, they would hit blah blah blah blah." game. If they could, then they would be doing it. It's that simple to me.
As far as the italicized (aside from blatant cheating), it is what it is. The game is not a simulation, it is an arcade video game with simulation elements. 2K has built this and marketed it to this niche; to this demographic. It is what sells, just like Madden sells a rather poor excuse of "football" to ignorant football fans and children.

As far as the bolded, I would never get into that debate either. It's been had and I believe, like most things in life, the answer falls somewhere in-between.

Anyone's opinion is rather irrelevant, ultimately. The vast majority of the community wants control of the outcome in this regard (in my perception, at least) and 2K's recognition of that is proven in sales.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »