Home

Scoring in the paint

This is a discussion on Scoring in the paint within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2021, 06:05 PM   #1
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

OVR: 0
Scoring in the paint

I’m not a daily 2k kind of guy, I usually snatch the game to play during the off-season of football until madden comes out. In previous years I been an average player going against the cpu. But on the next gen for 2k21 I am struggling bad with scoring in the paint, especially layups or anything from my bigs.

It looks embarrassing having the cpu constantly block my shots, every time I go for an open layup a cpu defender comes out of nowhere to block it or heavily contest it where I don’t make it. By halftime my shooting percentages are in the high 20s.

I always played on all star difficulty, with real player % for layups. But just didn’t know what anyone thinks I can try to help get better?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2021, 05:38 AM   #2
MVP

Mos1ted's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Scoring in the paint

I just got a PS5 on Monday, so I'm new to the next-gen version of 2K21. On the PS4 version, I was having the opposite problem as you. I was scoring in the paint at will. In fact, it was the only way I could score besides free throws because shooting was so difficult.

On the PS5 version, I was initially having the same problem as you. I play on Superstar. In one of my first games, I only scored 20 points in the paint, which is the lowest PIP total I ever had in playing 2K or any basketball game, and I've literally played every 5-on-5 basketball game dating back to Double Dribble on the NES.

But since yesterday, I'm now scoring in the paint as consistently as I was on the PS4. For me, the key was fully immersing myself and attacking the basket using real basketball principles rather than playing it like a video game. I read the defense and think ahead how everything will play out once I make a move to the rim.

"What defenders are in position to react to me?"
"Any shot blockers I need to worry about?"
"If I can't get a clean look, what is the likelihood of at least drawing a foul?"
"Does the player I'm controller have a quicker first step than the defense?"

Also, here are some videos I watched back in the day whose principles can be applied in 2K21:

How to Finish Through Contact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lytUfw3-LLw

How the BEST Small Guards Finish at the Rim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66sGWSoDJbk
Old 06-21-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Scoring in the paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos1ted
I just got a PS5 on Monday, so I'm new to the next-gen version of 2K21. On the PS4 version, I was having the opposite problem as you. I was scoring in the paint at will. In fact, it was the only way I could score besides free throws because shooting was so difficult.

On the PS5 version, I was initially having the same problem as you. I play on Superstar. In one of my first games, I only scored 20 points in the paint, which is the lowest PIP total I ever had in playing 2K or any basketball game, and I've literally played every 5-on-5 basketball game dating back to Double Dribble on the NES.

But since yesterday, I'm now scoring in the paint as consistently as I was on the PS4. For me, the key was fully immersing myself and attacking the basket using real basketball principles rather than playing it like a video game. I read the defense and think ahead how everything will play out once I make a move to the rim.

"What defenders are in position to react to me?"
"Any shot blockers I need to worry about?"
"If I can't get a clean look, what is the likelihood of at least drawing a foul?"
"Does the player I'm controller have a quicker first step than the defense?"

Also, here are some videos I watched back in the day whose principles can be applied in 2K21:

How to Finish Through Contact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lytUfw3-LLw

How the BEST Small Guards Finish at the Rim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66sGWSoDJbk
Appreciate the reply, I will check those videos out.

Do you use real player % when shooting or user timing?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »