Home

Best gameplay / defensive AI between 2K21 next gen, 2K21 current gen, and 2K20?

This is a discussion on Best gameplay / defensive AI between 2K21 next gen, 2K21 current gen, and 2K20? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Best gameplay / defensive AI between 2K21 next gen, 2K21 current gen, and 2K20?

I’m tired of this atrocious 2K21 next gen defense. I turned every defensive slider to 100 and it really helped. But weirdly I turned up hustle and tweaked other stuff and all of a sudden my MJ in MyNBA just literally walks past players to the hole. Maybe it’s in my head and it was always that easy. Zero challenge.

Which between the three is the most sim when it comes to gameplay and defense when playing AI? I’m talking defense logic, adjusting defense to stop a hot player, doubling a hot scorer, switching defenders onto players. Because 2K21 next gen does none of that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Best gameplay / defensive AI between 2K21 next gen, 2K21 current gen, and 2K20?

So I just downloaded 2K21 previous gen and emulated my Jordan build. Seems just as easy to get to the hole and score so far. Haven’t advanced far enough into a game to test double teaming and switching.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #3
MVP

Re: Best gameplay / defensive AI between 2K21 next gen, 2K21 current gen, and 2K20?

Another thing I noticed is DAMN the graphics are better in next gen. Pre gen has its charms and more accurate color palette in some ways but it’s definitely more video gamey seeming and motions aren’t as smooth. Body types not nearly as realistic.

And MAN is the court properly sized in next gen. The ratio of court to players is too small on the court side in previous gen.

Last edited by AIRJ23; 07-28-2021 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #4
MVP

Ok so I realized 2K21 previous gen DOES in fact double team you. Way more immersive as the AI is way more alive in that regard. But still, scoring and driving I found to be just as easy. I just dunked a lot less with MJ as it appears Posterizer isn’t a badge in pre gen (?) and it is in next gen which means you can cheese dunks in ridiculous manner.

Otherwise I really prefer next gen in terms of overall immersion and quality. Pre gen does play like a more well oiled veteran in AI regards.

What I’ll have to do is counter it by controlling the defense for my opposition in next gen. Switching sides just to put doubles on MJ or switch better defenders on him. Not as immersive but at least it’s some semblance of a fix.

I also love how pre gen gives you the view of the city before games. I bought it for $15 just for that alone. I’m weird so I figure before games on next gen I’ll get that city view in on pre gen just to give a better feel for the game.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:46 PM   #5
Rookie

H2UKNOW's Arena

2K21 Next-Gen. Definitely has it's problems, but more polished than the other two.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:14 PM   #6
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

I don't know about "best" gameplay balance between those 3, because I wasn't impressed with any of them.

However, I'll go to my grave saying 2k21 next gen has the worst defensive AI in modern basketball gaming history. Literally have to go to arcade games like JAM or hangtime to find worse.

Best way to describe 2k21 next gen gameplay is that it is a turn-based strategy game, where each player takes turn controlling the offense.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:42 AM   #7
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I didn’t have any major issues with defensive AI in 2K20. Next gen was bad. Terrible cpu PNR Defense, terrible rotations, they sag way too much off good shooters and they don’t double team mismatches in the post. And the 2K team did virtually nothing to patch it. Just heard it could take years to fix. Well then I will wait years to buy the next one because I did not play this last game very much and I’ve lost confidence in them as a result. They need to make sure defensive settings and sliders work properly too so we can at least attempt to fix problems.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »