Home

(Yet Another) Interior Contest Suggestion

This is a discussion on (Yet Another) Interior Contest Suggestion within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2021, 06:11 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
(Yet Another) Interior Contest Suggestion

So I’m thinking a cruise ship…

Nah, but slightly unrelatedly I feel I have mastered the rebounding game and it might be the one part of interior play that is deep anymore. Bigs just stand and body you, catch oops, contacts, super stale… so, how do we make contesting inside take skill?

I don’t know if they abandoned the pro stick shooting , but imagine pro stick interior contests. It makes sense when you think about it. You choose your defense type like bump, jump, hands up stone wall etc by beginning as you would a lay up and pressing rs in a direction. The success of the contest is based on the same yellow bar (size depending on ratings, location based on the shot type so iq and awareness can help too) and outside of the yellow is basically always a foul.

Green would be a block or smother, a double clutch or long reverse might move and you’d have to keep it in line . It would simulate arm and hand movements that are actual contests opposed to this belief that not only standing there makes people miss but especially holding hands up and pushing into someone is the best possible defensive option.

Apologies if format is weird, not at keyboard.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2021, 07:54 AM   #2
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: (Yet Another) Interior Contest Suggestion

The skill of defense should be positioning and timing (of the positioning). Please, no more artificial "skill" gaps.

What they should do is improve the whole contest system so that just standing somewhere not doing anything is not considered a good contest but actively positioning in front of the shooter putting up a hand is.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
The skill of defense should be positioning and timing (of the positioning). Please, no more artificial "skill" gaps.

What they should do is improve the whole contest system so that just standing somewhere not doing anything is not considered a good contest but actively positioning in front of the shooter putting up a hand is.
I'd rather it errs on making shot contests more powerful, especially with badges like Blinders and Deadeye, which basically says "hey your defense don't matter"
Old 07-28-2021, 07:09 AM   #4
MVP

"Interior" as in around the rim for bigs.

Altho the contest system is broken, it's especially broken inside because, as mentioned, positioning and timing of contest do matter a bit, and unless you're wide open, it's likely someone with high defensive ability is going to be 'positioned' nearby, leading to a massive contest regardless unless you get a contact dunk.

Once again, the interior game is very low skill on defense (because meta is don't shoot unless you're open or catch an oop anyway), there has to be a way to make fine movements, as are what get you good shots inside, especially going AT the rim, around people, etc.

The only thing artificial about attempting to make shot stick matter (something I suggested years ago btw, balance ((the initial up/down)) and release) was that people were able to exploit it with, basically, hacks.

We're talking about a game where passing consists of pressing a button at the right time. It's COOL for me because I can see things developing and thus drop some crazy dimes, but, that's all it is, one button. Before, you could put it right by someone's ear, but now they made pass steals stronger/automatic(at times), to me, that is an 'artificial fix.'

Was just an idea tho. Guess not. Also this would not be exploitable unless it could macro read where the line is, because there wouldn't be 'straight down contests', as it would depend on shot type.

Not all of us who are bigs want the game to be about standing under the rim. Look at rebounding, as I mentioned, how well you can move people and seal them. Swim around them (without worm), even. I'm 70oreb 80dreb at 6'9 and I can swim around glass cleaners nearly every time (with 9 d badges: gold rim prot, box, reb chaser.) There is nothing like that for post scoring. And yea, as long as people aren't straight dunking on my face, I can make them miss very easily without intimidate badge with "positioning and proper contest." It's not deep at all. It's like they think big man game is for mouth breathers.

So, to reiterate what I said in my first post, the only large skill gap inside is rebounding, where I am familiar with punching way above my class, unless I just get chicken winged by glass cleaner taker over. I'd like it to be way deeper...

-Smak
Old 07-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #5
Rookie

adamspag's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31

They tried this in 2k18 at the start, they completely took out proximity contests, people complained and they patched it out within two months
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #6
Rookie

Dlee3's Arena

I like the idea. But they def need to fix the basics first before adding more complex to it. There is still the bandaid when you get the offensive rebound under the basket and 9 out 10 if you take it back up you missing it. Unless you do a standing dunk or you are wide open.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:52 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlee3
I like the idea. But they def need to fix the basics first before adding more complex to it. There is still the bandaid when you get the offensive rebound under the basket and 9 out 10 if you take it back up you missing it. Unless you do a standing dunk or you are wide open.

Like I said I'm moses malone. haha. If I'm not getting it, someone else is getting the reb. Maybe a foul. But yea, it's a 'bad shot' and people are gonna be mad if you shoot it. Sometimes you just gotta, tho.

I've finally been able to do more tips, but the tip animation is so weird. Is putback helpful for that? I might throw that on. There's no reason why you can't do a NORMAL REBOUNDING ANIMATION and THEN TIP it. Whether or not it's a 100% shot, same idea, getting it back up on the rim is fine with me and way more probable than going back up. Once you are rooted on the ground and people are near you, it's really hard to score inside unless you get a standing, yea, but fake then RS up for the foul is pretty legit sometimes, too, depending on how deep you are. The deeper you go, the more likely you are to get body blocked. You might be better off, despite conventional bball wisdom. To grab the board, engage post, and do something from there, put the ball on the floor etc.

-Smak

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »