Home

I don’t wanna hear Devs talking about making defense Fun… just make it Functional

This is a discussion on I don’t wanna hear Devs talking about making defense Fun… just make it Functional within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #9
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: I don’t wanna hear Devs talking about making defense Fun… just make it Functional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
Lol the guy that was the head of the defensive gameplay left for NBA Live. The defense has been complete garbage since he took over in 15. Now that he’s gone I’m expecting the defense to be leaps and bounds better.
Ehh idk if i can agree with that completely. 2K16 and 2K17 were pretty solid games defensively. 2K19 was also a strong defensive game.
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Old 08-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: I don’t wanna hear Devs talking about making defense Fun… just make it Functional

2K19 was the most balanced in my opinion.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #11
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
Ehh idk if i can agree with that completely. 2K16 and 2K17 were pretty solid games defensively. 2K19 was also a strong defensive game.

Guess it's not the nostalgia glasses talking for me, because those 3 are the exact same 2k's I remember having solid defense too, but 2k16 was head & shoulders above 2k17 & 19. Those two still had some shaky moments, but still easily top 3 2k's in terms of solid defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2021, 10:47 PM   #12
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

16 is where the defense took a turn for the worst for the franchise. I’ve said for years that 2K16 had the best on-ball defense and I still stick by that. However, several other aspects took major steps back.

The transition defense in 16 was the worst out of any 2K game and they’ve just now started to make it decent again.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ts-finest.html

I remember playing PNO and having people literally throw pinpoint full court inbound passes for easy buckets and watching the AI do nothing to stop it. Players could literally inbound the ball and just turbo down court with no issue and the AI defenders would not even acknowledge their presence.

2K17 had all these same issues along with the paint defense being downgraded. I also remember AI defenders regularly shuffling out of bounds for no reason and destroying my entire defense.

You guys can go back and look at all the complaint threads about the defense in 16 and 17. I had tons of clips that I posted on here of the defense but I'm not able to search on this site for some reason.

As far as 19 goes that game still had its issues defensively such as the transition D still being bad but I think the strong on-ball D in that game really covered up a lot of the issues. I'm hoping the defense in 22 takes a more aggressive approach like 19.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #13
Pro

blk5tar5's Arena

Quote:
2K16 was the right balance
2K17 defense was extremely tight that 'everybody' was complaining bigtime, hence why 2K18 they came with the blow by!
Old 08-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #14
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

People complained about 2K16 too, which is why 2K17 was bumper cars...

That's why there is no "just make it right", because the community can't even agree on these things...and only really appreciate things in retrospect.

So it really doesn't matter what verbiage they use, or what you want to hear...I'm just hoping they design the game with balance in mind everything and get back to actively making adjustments based on SOLID feedback. My personal favorite, 2K16 wasn't the great game it turned out to be until Patch 6 and that's because real, tangible changes were made throughout the year, not just shooting buffs and nerfs. I feel like there's no way we would have went through a whole cycle with these 5 man posterizers in the past..

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 08-02-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #15
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
People complained about 2K16 too, which is why 2K17 was bumper cars...

That's why there is no "just make it right", because the community can't even agree on these things...and only really appreciate things in retrospect.

So it really doesn't matter what verbiage they use, or what you want to hear...I'm just hoping they design the game with balance in mind everything and get back to actively making adjustments based on SOLID feedback. My personal favorite, 2K16 wasn't the great game it turned out to be until Patch 6 and that's because real, tangible changes were made throughout the year, not just shooting buffs and nerfs. I feel like there's no way we would have went through a whole cycle with these 5 man posterizers in the past..

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
I feel like this is the first year where I feel mostly helpless on the defensive end. Previous years were "passable" if you dedicated yourself to defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #16
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
My memory sucks but all I remember OG bringing in was the players would sag off way too much and leaving guys open for 3.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »