Home

I don’t wanna hear Devs talking about making defense Fun… just make it Functional

This is a discussion on I don’t wanna hear Devs talking about making defense Fun… just make it Functional within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: I don’t wanna hear Devs talking about making defense Fun… just make it Functional

I think I'm in the minority but I enjoyed 2K18. The blow by was trash admittedly but I felt MUCH more comfortable stopping that move than anything on 2k21 especially next Gen. It seems like there is a lack of control with each passing year 2k releases each year. 2k18 response time on offense and defense is so much better than 2k21. I think 2k21 is the worst 2k ever so far.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:59 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: I don’t wanna hear Devs talking about making defense Fun… just make it Functional

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Shirls
I think I'm in the minority but I enjoyed 2K18. The blow by was trash admittedly but I felt MUCH more comfortable stopping that move than anything on 2k21 especially next Gen. It seems like there is a lack of control with each passing year 2k releases each year. 2k18 response time on offense and defense is so much better than 2k21. I think 2k21 is the worst 2k ever so far.
Yeah, me too, I think the fans were so used to that stonewall defense that when they changed it to get blowbyes and people did not know how to stop it it was just instant outrage. But in reality 2k18 was the most balanced of all modern 2ks. 3pt shooting was very powerful but there were no guaranteed make windows like there has been since 2k19. Before 19 a perfect release did not guarantee a green and therefore a make. Since 19, after like level 86 3ball a perfect release if open will always generate a green and therefore a guaranteed make. The shooting percentages were at least 10% lower in that game. Combined that with the ability for slashers to body non defenders and it was just had a much better balance between inside play and 3pt shooting. Blowbyes are also far more realistic to the current NBA because if you body bump and stonewall someone they will call a foul every time. But just like irl to guard a player great off the dribble drive you need to shade them into help and anticipate their moves. 2k18 also didn't have all these other junk dribble badges that just ice your player and don't let you move or push and pull you out of position. Even with blow byes the defense felt way better to play than 2k21 imo. 2k21 is the worst in every category, you get the guaranteed makes which are dumb, you get all the silly badges slide a defensive player around, you still have op speedboost dribble moves, you get 6'8 with hof posterizor having better pg badges than smaller players and you have the new postorizer badge combined with the new dunk on animations and and it is just a wrap for the Defense. You can literally just learn like 3 things to be an offensive force.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:40 PM   #35
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
Yeah, me too, I think the fans were so used to that stonewall defense that when they changed it to get blowbyes and people did not know how to stop it it was just instant outrage. But in reality 2k18 was the most balanced of all modern 2ks. 3pt shooting was very powerful but there were no guaranteed make windows like there has been since 2k19. Before 19 a perfect release did not guarantee a green and therefore a make. Since 19, after like level 86 3ball a perfect release if open will always generate a green and therefore a guaranteed make. The shooting percentages were at least 10% lower in that game. Combined that with the ability for slashers to body non defenders and it was just had a much better balance between inside play and 3pt shooting. Blowbyes are also far more realistic to the current NBA because if you body bump and stonewall someone they will call a foul every time. But just like irl to guard a player great off the dribble drive you need to shade them into help and anticipate their moves. 2k18 also didn't have all these other junk dribble badges that just ice your player and don't let you move or push and pull you out of position. Even with blow byes the defense felt way better to play than 2k21 imo. 2k21 is the worst in every category, you get the guaranteed makes which are dumb, you get all the silly badges slide a defensive player around, you still have op speedboost dribble moves, you get 6'8 with hof posterizor having better pg badges than smaller players and you have the new postorizer badge combined with the new dunk on animations and and it is just a wrap for the Defense. You can literally just learn like 3 things to be an offensive force.
You must have been fortunate enough not to play people who abuse the blow-by animations in NBA 2K18. When I played PNO, that was the meta. Blow-bys, snatchbacks, while calling for a screen on every possession.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2021, 10:10 AM   #36
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
You must have been fortunate enough not to play people who abuse the blow-by animations in NBA 2K18. When I played PNO, that was the meta. Blow-bys, snatchbacks, while calling for a screen on every possession.
You're right, I seem to remember that was the year all the 2K League "Pros" did was hunt for then exploit blow by animations. Guys were putting up insane numbers just dunking over and over again while the defense stood around helplessly.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:54 PM   #37
MVP

Eman5805's Arena

OVR: 15

Some aspects are never changing. The game is designed to punish you in MyCareer. You let the AI, which gets in juggernaut mode wheee you can’t stay in front or stop their momentum, get around you, literally no one will rotate and help you. You’re beat. You get this basket dropped and a negative teammate score.

What should happen is you get a bad teammate grade for them having to come bail you out of getting beat even if the CPU is forcing it by being unguardable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »