Home

NBA 2k22 Current/Last-Gen Impressions

This is a discussion on NBA 2k22 Current/Last-Gen Impressions within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Sports Emulation in 2022 - Going Beyond Emulation
OS Reacts: NBA 2K23 Gameplay Improvements
MLB The Show 22 Missing Features

Old 09-11-2021, 02:42 PM   #1
Rookie

vetmin's Arena

OVR: 0
NBA 2k22 Current/Last-Gen Impressions

PSA: "Current/last-gen NBA 2k22" = PS4/XB1/Switch/PC versions of NBA 2k22.

Thanks to mods for stickying.

For my 2k21 Switch roster, click here.

Last edited by vetmin; 09-11-2021 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Clarification and thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NBA 2k22 Current/Last-Gen Impressions

I would love to have a Current/Last Gen thread. As someone who ONLY plays franchise mode. Never plays online, knows absolutely NOTHING bout city or neighborhood or what they even are, I'm trying to see if its fine to buy on PC. I love all the mods to use and usually always buy on PC. I didn't play 2K21 on next gen when it released on PS5 so i don't know how much better it plays or feels. Would love a last gen Impressions thread.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

There's an entire sub-forum dedicated to Last-Gen, however it's still labeled as being for the 360/PS3 generation.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...a-2k-last-gen/
Old 09-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #4
Rookie

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
There's an entire sub-forum dedicated to Last-Gen, however it's still labeled as being for the 360/PS3 generation.

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...a-2k-last-gen/
By "current/last-gen" I just mean the PS4/XB1/Switch/PC version. Last year we all said "current gen" for those but I dunno how long we can call the earlier gen "current," and I've seen people on Twitter start calling it "last gen," so whatever. This is a weird two-year (hopefully not three-year) transition period so it's disrupted the lingo.

Old 09-11-2021, 04:46 PM   #5
Rookie

vetmin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by franch1se
I would love to have a Current/Last Gen thread. As someone who ONLY plays franchise mode. Never plays online, knows absolutely NOTHING bout city or neighborhood or what they even are, I'm trying to see if its fine to buy on PC. I love all the mods to use and usually always buy on PC. I didn't play 2K21 on next gen when it released on PS5 so i don't know how much better it plays or feels. Would love a last gen Impressions thread.
I haven't had a ton of time to play yet, but gameplay feels a lot better. Played a 1st quarter on All Star with the Official Roster and neither the CPU nor I cracked 30 points in the quarter, with 3 and 4 turnovers each. Felt like both sides could genuinely defend, which I'm guessing is the much celebrated Da Czar effect everyone is talking about re: this game (kudos to him).

I was one of the few who liked 2k21 dribbling, and while I still like it better than 2k22 so far, they retained enough of what I liked about 2k21 that it's not a huge deal. Like, I thought reverse layups triggered more consistently in 2k21 than 2k20, and they do in 2k22 as well. Maybe that's just me though.

One thing worth noting that shocked me is that they actually added the Play-In to current-gen. Never thought they'd bother, but they did it! It's hard-coded into MyLeague though so you can't toggle it on or off during the Setup phase or as a post-season Rule Change (from what I saw, unless I missed it). Not a big deal to me personally as I don't play retro seasons and I think in real life the Play-In is here to stay. (I suppose if you were playing a retro season you could just Force Win the Play-In so that the 7 & 8 seeds both make the real playoffs.)

Also, tertiary positions made it to current-gen, so LeBron is a SF / PG / PF. Three positions could work wonders for AI rotations and also open up All-NBA selections a bit.

On PC specifically, we're still awaiting updated facescans, but that'll come soon enough. The modding community is already full steam ahead on the game and it sounds like 2k21 mods transfer pretty well on the whole.

Overall I'd say 2k22 is what 2k21 should've been (and maybe would have been, if not for the pandemic disrupting development), or maybe you could say that if 2k21 was really 2k20.5, then this would represent 1 full dev-cycle leap to 2k21.5

Last edited by vetmin; 09-11-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2021, 06:29 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetmin
I haven't had a ton of time to play yet, but gameplay feels a lot better. Played a 1st quarter on All Star with the Official Roster and neither the CPU nor I cracked 30 points in the quarter, with 3 and 4 turnovers each. Felt like both sides could genuinely defend, which I'm guessing is the much celebrated Da Czar effect everyone is talking about re: this game (kudos to him).

I was one of the few who liked 2k21 dribbling, and while I still like it better than 2k22 so far, they retained enough of what I liked about 2k21 that it's not a huge deal. Like, I thought reverse layups triggered more consistently in 2k21 than 2k20, and they do in 2k22 as well. Maybe that's just me though.

One thing worth noting that shocked me is that they actually added the Play-In to current-gen. Never thought they'd bother, but they did it! It's hard-coded into MyLeague though so you can't toggle it on or off during the Setup phase or as a post-season Rule Change (from what I saw, unless I missed it). Not a big deal to me personally as I don't play retro seasons and I think in real life the Play-In is here to stay. (I suppose if you were playing a retro season you could just Force Win the Play-In so that the 7 & 8 seeds both make the real playoffs.)

Also, tertiary positions made it to current-gen, so LeBron is a SF / PG / PF. Three positions could work wonders for AI rotations and also open up All-NBA selections a bit.

On PC specifically, we're still awaiting updated facescans, but that'll come soon enough. The modding community is already full steam ahead on the game and it sounds like 2k21 mods transfer pretty well on the whole.

Overall I'd say 2k22 is what 2k21 should've been (and maybe would have been, if not for the pandemic disrupting development), or maybe you could say that if 2k21 was really 2k20.5, then this would represent 1 full dev-cycle leap to 2k21.5
thanks for the impressions. i'm debating whether or not to pick this up during the steam holiday sales. it's really dependent on how well the ai defensive aspect has improved. anything further from you once you've really got a handle on how it plays, or impressions from anyone else here regarding defense would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #7
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42

Can anyone share their thoughts about physics and player interactions on current gen - compared to 2K21 and/or to 2K22 on next gen (if you played it)?

And how about animations - is there a lot of new content, or is it basically 2K21 with a few more animations?

Thanks!

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 09-11-2021, 11:46 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclazaris84
thanks for the impressions. i'm debating whether or not to pick this up during the steam holiday sales. it's really dependent on how well the ai defensive aspect has improved. anything further from you once you've really got a handle on how it plays, or impressions from anyone else here regarding defense would be appreciated.
I am not the greatest of basketball knowledge here, but just by simply playing and getting a good feel for it since the release date, I can say Defense is much better and attentive. Always room for improvement, but yes its defintely better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »