Home

Da Czar- Drive Help Settings Explained

This is a discussion on Da Czar- Drive Help Settings Explained within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2021, 04:17 PM   #9
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Da Czar- Drive Help Settings Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Czar said getting defense right took precedence over completely redesigning the menus put in place before he took over.

I'd prefer defense working well altogether out of box for the most part and the transparency over a nice new design menu and hotels everywhere personally

Rob is right though, clarification is needed

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

basically yes. I am on your side there. But what would be nice is if we get information about which options have been taken out of the game and have no effect and what actually works right now. That would be great.

Stuff like this video here about drive help!

Still one question left: If I want a "standard", proper help rotation. Should I just leave it on "Automatic"?

Last edited by jk31; 09-23-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #10
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Throw out the entire menu and start again. Eliminate the legacy issues by only putting in stuff that works. I’m certain that is the plan.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:21 PM   #11
MVP

Can’t watch the videos right now and have trouble following along to what’s being talked about.

Can someone give a cliff’s notes? I’m assuming certain defensive settings do nothing? Is there a recommended defensive setting he states to use (“automatic” etc)?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRJ23
Can’t watch the videos right now and have trouble following along to what’s being talked about.

Can someone give a cliff’s notes? I’m assuming certain defensive settings do nothing? Is there a recommended defensive setting he states to use (“automatic” etc)?

Basically saying that there was originally a bug in the menu making it appear as though the setting was set to no help, yet players were still helping. Now, what it says is what it is.

The catch is that the help often comes from the wrong place. A drive from the right wing shouldn’t trigger help from the right corner, but that’s often what happens and has been that way for SEVERAL years now. I can recall that happening back in 2K13.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:36 AM   #13
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Da Czar- Drive Help Settings Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
Spoiler
A drive from the right wing shouldn’t trigger help from the right corner, but that’s often what happens and has been that way for SEVERAL years now. I can recall that happening back in 2K13.

But that's fine. I hope I can mention to Czar that's how Robert Horry was so valuable to Kobe and the Lakers during those championship runs. Kobe would setup a drive to the open lane to sag the defense and he went right almost everytime. Just one clip below to illustrate

https://media4.giphy.com/media/mAiFg...giphy.gif&ct=g

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by JoFri; 09-24-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:17 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFri
But that's fine. I hope I can mention to Czar that's how Robert Horry was so valuable to Kobe and the Lakers during those championship runs. Kobe would setup a drive to the open lane to sag the defense and he went right almost everytime. Just one clip below to illustrate

https://media4.giphy.com/media/mAiFg...giphy.gif&ct=g

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

You don’t help from one pass away. Especially off of a shooter in the corner. That’s why coaches define the floor as the ball side and the help side on defense.

https://youtu.be/T7XNYXLvPA4
Old 09-24-2021, 11:28 AM   #15
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
You don’t help from one pass away. Especially off of a shooter in the corner. That’s why coaches define the floor as the ball side and the help side on defense.

https://youtu.be/T7XNYXLvPA4

Haha i think that guy sagging off Horry was HOF Pippen drawing a charge. Thats a ensuing possession, do u give up a 3 or high percentage shot in the paint by another HOF Kobe? It's a gamble and Pippen (or the coaching staff off the 2 TOs) chose stopping the drive to the paint and leave whoever out there in the perimeter. On that play, Portland was leading by 2 under 10 sec to play, game 3. If this is a game 7, the defensive gameplay may have been a little different just to be on the safe side (I dun know).

So I really think its fine to keep that logic as-is for the AI to help (whether strong or weak side whichever is the fastest to help in time). And the more the 'no drive help' is needed in such late game situation (I may rather give up the paint and defend the 3).

And since its video game, a lot us play with LBJ or Luka-like court vision and so weak side help really makes little impact on us with cross court passes to the opposite corner
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #16
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFri
Haha i think that guy sagging off Horry was HOF Pippen drawing a charge. Thats a ensuing possession, do u give up a 3 or high percentage shot in the paint by another HOF Kobe? It's a gamble and Pippen (or the coaching staff off the 2 TOs) chose stopping the drive to the paint and leave whoever out there in the perimeter. On that play, Portland was leading by 2 under 10 sec to play, game 3. If this is a game 7, the defensive gameplay may have been a little different just to be on the safe side (I dun know).

So I really think its fine to keep that logic as-is for the AI to help (whether strong or weak side whichever is the fastest to help in time). And the more the 'no drive help' is needed in such late game situation (I may rather give up the paint and defend the 3).

And since its video game, a lot us play with LBJ or Luka-like court vision and so weak side help really makes little impact on us with cross court passes to the opposite corner

But there you have your point: A Hall of Fame defender and their coaching staff decided that it was better to have Pippen help from the ballside than have a standard help rotation. That's where we want to get in the long run: scheming.

Standard Help is provided from the weakside. Players one pass away do never ever help away from their man. Get that right and in the next step give us the tools to define our own schemes, where maybe a player one pass away is allowed to help off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »