Home

Is there any way to guard 5 out with shooting bigs?

This is a discussion on Is there any way to guard 5 out with shooting bigs? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2022, 02:55 AM   #25
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is there any way to guard 5 out with shooting bigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorMG
They absolutely would if they had the kind of success the OP is talking about. The mid-late 2000s Suns made a living (and a very good one) on almost nothing but Nash high pick-and-rolls surrounded by shooters.
I would get around my city faster too if I drove at 110 mph like I do in GTA. There's a reason why I don't/can't. There's a reason why the 5-out in NBA 2K is not what you see IRL...

The Suns ran the 7-Seconds offense...not a 5-Out offense in the half-court. Get your facts straight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2022, 05:58 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

While it's true that wide open threes go in at about a 90% rate in 2K22, if you can just close out enough to get a white or yellow contest, I find that those shots rarely go in this year, unless the person you're guarding has gold (or higher) deadeye + perfect shot timing. And even with hall of fame deadeye + perfect timing, the make rate on a red contest is extremely low, unless the shooter's takeover is active. Plus most players who qualify for HOF deadeye usually have bad defensive ratings, and can easily be exposed on the other end of the court.

I haven't found it that hard to hold people to realistic shooting percentages (30% to 40%) as long as you're consistently able to generate yellow or at least white contests. It's really only the wide open coverage bonus that has the potential to throw a given game's shooting percentages way out of whack.

Stopping the interior paint mashing without resorting to steals/charges is a lot tougher IMO since you cannot get stops solely by playing hands up defense like you can on the perimeter.

Here's a MyTeam clip from last night where I switch-all'ed a guy into an early rage quit:

Spoiler

Once people see that their picks aren't working, they tend to get out of there with the quickness.

I feel like this year's game has given us more ways to generate stops than any previous version of 2K, y'all just have to get more familiar with all of the defensive tools that are at our disposal. Turn on the communication speech bubbles so that you know what your AI teammates are thinking, and just work with them as well as you can. Some games you can stay out of the CPU's way and just let them handle their business all by themselves. Other times, you'll have to take a more hands-on role and user-defend wherever the ball goes. It all depends on the stick skills of your opponent and how he's trying to attack your defense.

But I have like 6 or 7 different ways to play defense that I've come up with this year, and I don't even use any of the zones, because I hate giving up open three point looks like 2K's zones tend to.

Last edited by jyoung; 02-06-2022 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:07 AM   #27
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
While it's true that wide open threes go in at about a 90% rate in 2K22, if you can just close out enough to get a white or yellow contest, I find that those shots rarely go in this year, unless the person you're guarding has gold (or higher) deadeye + perfect shot timing. And even with hall of fame deadeye + perfect timing, the make rate on a red contest is extremely low, unless the shooter's takeover is active. Plus most players who qualify for HOF deadeye usually have bad defensive ratings, and can easily be exposed on the other end of the court.

I haven't found it that hard to hold people to realistic shooting percentages (30% to 40%) as long as you're consistently able to generate yellow or at least white contests. It's really only the wide open coverage bonus that has the potential to throw a given game's shooting percentages way out of whack.

Stopping the interior paint mashing without resorting to steals/charges is a lot tougher IMO since you cannot get stops solely by playing hands up defense like you can on the perimeter.

Here's a MyTeam clip from last night where I switch-all'ed a guy into an early rage quit:

Spoiler

Once people see that their picks aren't working, they tend to get out of there with the quickness.

I feel like this year's game has given us more ways to generate stops than any previous version of 2K, y'all just have to get more familiar with all of the defensive tools that are at our disposal. Turn on the communication speech bubbles so that you know what your AI teammates are thinking, and just work with them as well as you can. Some games you can stay out of the CPU's way and just let them handle their business all by themselves. Other times, you'll have to take a more hands-on role and user-defend wherever the ball goes. It all depends on the stick skills of your opponent and how he's trying to attack your defense.

But I have like 6 or 7 different ways to play defense that I've come up with this year, and I don't even use any of the zones, because I hate giving up open three point looks like 2K's zones tend to.

i really hope that we get 2k23 as next gen version on pc....all of what you are talking about is just not available to me on old gen (or basically it is, but the settings don't work...). I have to live with dumb AI teammates that are not following any defensive gameplan settings which results in lots of open threes or easy layups that I basically now how I couldve taken them away but I lack the tools to do so.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:31 AM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I would get around my city faster too if I drove at 110 mph like I do in GTA. There's a reason why I don't/can't. There's a reason why the 5-out in NBA 2K is not what you see IRL...

The Suns ran the 7-Seconds offense...not a 5-Out offense in the half-court. Get your facts straight.
I'm not here to argue. I just offered suggestions. Anyone can take them or leave them, but please don't accuse me of not having my "facts straight."
Old 02-06-2022, 02:34 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung

Spoiler

That seems like the inverse of what data+ the eye test illustrates of NBA players. Everyone’s better than steph/Garry Harris if left open but shoot worse than average shooters when lightly contested.

I get that people want less randomness but 2k has to better relocate the concentration level of nba players contests aren’t auto misses irl.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:00 PM   #30
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

I know for me I use 5 out offense vs off baller who never want to play on ball. But I don't just isolate. I usually run plays and run the whole thing.

I don't know what to say for My Team type of games. I watched a user hit a 3 pointer with XAVIER TILLMAN. I wasn't mad because I've seen him hit 3's in real life.
https://youtu.be/85xRsInXQOI
It was the fact that I went and checked his ratings after the game and he was 62. That's when I got mad .

Didn't make sense in my mind. It was only one. But he was hitting with Ziaire Williams too. His rating was 67 . He went 2-3 with him. So yeah what am I suppose to do lol? Let Ja Morant dunk on me with poor rotations or hope these guys miss?
Old 02-06-2022, 06:45 PM   #31
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Is there any way to guard 5 out with shooting bigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I know for me I use 5 out offense vs off baller who never want to play on ball. But I don't just isolate. I usually run plays and run the whole thing.

I don't know what to say for My Team type of games. I watched a user hit a 3 pointer with XAVIER TILLMAN. I wasn't mad because I've seen him hit 3's in real life.
https://youtu.be/85xRsInXQOI
It was the fact that I went and checked his ratings after the game and he was 62. That's when I got mad .

Didn't make sense in my mind. It was only one. But he was hitting with Ziaire Williams too. His rating was 67 . He went 2-3 with him. So yeah what am I suppose to do lol? Let Ja Morant dunk on me with poor rotations or hope these guys miss?

They overreacted to his Play In game 3’s last year, lol

but nah, he’s on my MyTeam, he has a elbow hot zone from where he shot OK from last year…no shooting badges though.

Speaking from an online H2H (with NBA teams) perspective here-

At the end of the day, I think we can all agree, open 3’s go in at a way higher clip than they should, but there are also many tools to prevent an over abundance of completely wide open shots in the first place.

Onball defense is solid this year. If I played that Raptors line up, that Kawhi would barely even be able to penetrate well enough to draw defenders, if I set them to help…He’s going to have to show me how great his pull up game is, as well as show me he can get Gasol and Sialkims slow wind ups off consistently with me contesting.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 02-06-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2022, 01:24 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9

I mean, technically speaking, 62 or 67 isn't 0. It doesn't mean they can't hit any. Dennis Rodman once hit 3 three-pointers in a row, in like 90 seconds. Also, those threes you mentioned, were they open? Contested? Late closeout?

I remember seeing LeBron hit a drifting three against the Lakers (he was on Miami) and Jeff Van Gundy said "If LeBron's hitting that shot, go home. You got no chance."

If you force the offense into the worst shot that's realistically possible, and they still hit it, you just have to take the L sometimes and understand that you've done your job defensively regardless.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »