Home

OFFICIAL 2k14 Playbook Changes, ONLY Plays that ARENT BROKE

This is a discussion on OFFICIAL 2k14 Playbook Changes, ONLY Plays that ARENT BROKE within the NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: OFFICIAL 2k14 Playbook Changes, ONLY Plays that ARENT BROKE

I posted this in other thread as well but it really belongs here.

Alright I feel like I am heading in a better direction. Here is a video of my latest test.

I know there still issues with the shot clock, but it still seems like an improvement. I also had fouls turned off so I could see as mush offense as possible without FT interruptions.

There have been major overhauls to every player ratings and tendency wise.

Without going overboard here are some things I think are important, specifically when it comes to the playbooks.

The Pick and Roll and Low Post(possible High Post and cutter also I haven't tested those) are the "Key" play types.

You want 99% of the players to have either Pick And Roll Ballhandler, Pick and Roll Rollman, or Low Post in the top two slots. You can give just one or all three but if you give a player Mid-Range, Pick and Roll and Low Post then Mid Range needs to be lowest.

Even in mid-range plays that "work" if the player isn't open for a shot he is often in a sort of no man's kand that bogs down offense. I suggest any Mid Range be quick hitters, that way if they fail the CPU may have time to call another.
(For that matter I would also recommend that the large majority of the plays you choose be quick hitters.)

You can generate mid range shots with other plays. For example, the play 'IND P Quick Post' the SG(or whoever) can and will shoot if the screen leaves him open. In other words a 'Low Post' play created an open jump shot.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
I posted this in other thread as well but it really belongs here.

Alright I feel like I am heading in a better direction. Here is a video of my latest test.

I know there still issues with the shot clock, but it still seems like an improvement. I also had fouls turned off so I could see as mush offense as possible without FT interruptions.

There have been major overhauls to every player ratings and tendency wise.

Without going overboard here are some things I think are important, specifically when it comes to the playbooks.

The Pick and Roll and Low Post(possible High Post and cutter also I haven't tested those) are the "Key" play types.

You want 99% of the players to have either Pick And Roll Ballhandler, Pick and Roll Rollman, or Low Post in the top two slots. You can give just one or all three but if you give a player Mid-Range, Pick and Roll and Low Post then Mid Range needs to be lowest.

Even in mid-range plays that "work" if the player isn't open for a shot he is often in a sort of no man's kand that bogs down offense. I suggest any Mid Range be quick hitters, that way if they fail the CPU may have time to call another.
(For that matter I would also recommend that the large majority of the plays you choose be quick hitters.)

You can generate mid range shots with other plays. For example, the play 'IND P Quick Post' the SG(or whoever) can and will shoot if the screen leaves him open. In other words a 'Low Post' play created an open jump shot.

Awesome breakdown. Do you have any Current Plays I can ADD to the Main Post? I saw you mention the IND play.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Old 10-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
Awesome breakdown. Do you have any Current Plays I can ADD to the Main Post? I saw you mention the IND play.
That play is in the 94 Rockets playbook.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
That play is in the 94 Rockets playbook.
Ok. When you get chance, if you have time, just list a few plays that you feel are BEST to use that arent already listed. I am tired of looking at plays for a few days, LOL.

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
Ok. When you get chance, if you have time, just list a few plays that you feel are BEST to use that arent already listed. I am tired of looking at plays for a few days, LOL.
I'll have some in a minute. I was testing a new play. It worked.....

The play is 91 Lakers Mismatch 21. A good play for primary ball handlers who are also post up threats. The alley-oop is not part of the play, it was just icing on the cake of it working.

Here is how I am testing plays.

1. Set up a playbook with only 1 play in it(I used the standard playbook)
2. Choose the play you want to test and make it only play in that playbook
3. Assign that play to the player the play would be best for and on plays to all the other players so that is only play that will be run
4. Start a game with whatever team you chose to test with against it self to watch and see if the play works.

Keep in mind if the play creates a shot for a player in the process of it being that is not the designed intent of the play, that does not mean that the play is broken.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #22
MVP

Here are some of my favorite working plays:

Isolation
90 Pistons 51

Pick and Roll
DET 1 Angle
POR 1 Chest - Fade Mid
CLE 42 Side - FADE 3 pt
UTA Angle - Option

Low Post
91 Lakers 21 Mismatch(see above)
86 Celtics 34 Punch
90 Hawks 14 Punch
91 Lakers 25 Pin
IND P Quick Post
95 Knicks 23 Punch
24 Punch
96 Bulls 32 Punch

Cutter
Wide 2 Alley - The only player who has this play for me is Kemp

Mid Range
98 Bulls 23 Curl Post - as the name says this is actually a post play, good for guards who post.

*Side note on Mid-Range: I don't see myself using very many of these plays as long as other plays create opportunities for some mid range shots. In my mind most mid range NBA shots are, pull ups or pick and pop shots more than are double baseline screen ball reversal plays, those type of plays are more likely run for 3 point shots not 17 footers.

3PT
Blazers 12 Quick Up
92 Blazers 41 Reverse Up
96 Bulls 54 Over

I realize you have a lot of these but these are plays I have in playbooks at this moment.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #23
MVP

Another issue I just thought of that I think is part of the problem. I'll use 96 Seattle as an example.

The points guards on the 95-96 Sonics are the only players on the team that have play initiator set to yes.

This means if a play does not create a shot, in order for another play to be called the PG must get the ball and be in position on the floor where a play can be called(not in the lane).

I think this why plays that end with ball in the hands of some SG's and SF's turn to a wait fest until the shot clock runs out. They don't call another play because they simply lack the ability to do so.

Compare this to the 96 Bulls, besides the PG's, Jordan, Pippen, and Kukoc can all initiate a play.

I am going to be setting all SG's to yes for play initiator as well as some SF's.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #24
Pro

OVR: 2

One general observation...I tend towards eliminating high post plays entirely this year. 2k removed the best working ones from 2k14, and even if the cpu makes the entry pass, the posting player tends to pass back out far more often than in 2k13, even with adjusted attack/pass and shooting tendencies. The plays I've listed work, but if you know how to exploit the ai, you can shut the whole thing down. So if you want the ai to screw up, it will. Kinda annoying, even though if you play normal defense, it kinda works.

The problem is that while a few plays result in an entry pass more often than not, the catch occurs too far away from the basket for the ai to realize there's a one on one opportunity. Maybe post/face up tendencies need to be adjusted, but right now, with most of the working plays missing, I think it's better to use low post plays instead. Guys like Dirk should still tend to take shots more far away from the basket if the strength rating works correctly and prevents him from constantly backing guys down.

So yeah, in my opinion, low post plays are the way to go this year. 2k managed to screw up the high post game (which was nice in 2k11 and just horrible in 2k12/13) even more. No idea why. I remember in 2k11, plays just worked. Many sets were almost too effective. If you had shooting sliders at default, midrange and 3pt plays were pretty much too perfect and the ai got a nice look almost everytime. The same with iso and high post plays. If the ai called a high set for Dirk, he got the ball and went to work. Instead of tweaking defender ai to improve the way they defend off ball screens (which was the only thing wrong with set plays in 2k11) they continually screw stuff up. What the f*ck 2k???

Last edited by mango_prom; 10-06-2013 at 07:29 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters »