Home

Slimm44's 2k14 Editing Guide

This is a discussion on Slimm44's 2k14 Editing Guide within the NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Slimm44's 2k14 Editing Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
Yes it is, I am looking at it as I type this.

It is in the Paragraph under the list of Post shot types. It starts with Post Moves - Then Post Shots, its not next to the list of the shots, its under them and right above Passing
Hook shot post fade are really not on what I am looking at. I'm not saying your wrong I just really don't see them
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoleowens
Hook shot post fade are really not on what I am looking at. I'm not saying your wrong I just really don't see them
Fine I'll tell you what the guide says.

POST SHOTS - 100 for all players with a 'Post Up' tendency above 0. 0 for everybody else, then I use a 100-80-60-40-20-0 scale for the 4 shots.

It is up to you to determine what tendencies to give players.

For example:

Post Hook - 40
Post Fadeaway - 60
Shimmy Shot - 20
Hop Shot - 0
This player has decent all around post game and uses bot hooks and fadeaways.

or

Post Hook - 100
Post Fadeaway - 0
Shimmy Shot - 0
Hop Shot - 0
This player only shoots hook shots

or

Post Hook - 0
Post Fadeaway - 100
Shimmy Shot - 0
Hop Shot - 0
This player shoots only post fadeaways(most likely a guard)

I can't give specific examples and each editor is going to have a slightly different take on these, but the base for editing is right in the guide where I said it was(PAGE 8 of the guide at the top directly under where it says:
POST SHOT
Post Hook
Post Fadeaway
Shimmy Shot
Hop Shot(says step in the guide, its a typo)

Last edited by qpc123; 10-24-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #43
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
Fine I'll tell you what the guide says.

POST SHOTS - 100 for all players with a 'Post Up' tendency above 0. 0 for everybody else, then I use a 100-80-60-40-20-0 scale for the 4 shots.

It is up to you to determine what tendencies to give players.

For example:

Post Hook - 40
Post Fadeaway - 60
Shimmy Shot - 20
Hop Shot - 0
This player has decent all around post game and uses bot hooks and fadeaways.

or

Post Hook - 100
Post Fadeaway - 0
Shimmy Shot - 0
Hop Shot - 0
This player only shoots hook shots

or

Post Hook - 0
Post Fadeaway - 100
Shimmy Shot - 0
Hop Shot - 0
This player shoots only post fadeaways(most likely a guard)

I can't give specific examples and each editor is going to have a slightly different take on these, but the base for editing is right in the guide where I said it was(PAGE 8 of the guide at the top directly under where it says:
POST SHOT
Post Hook
Post Fadeaway
Shimmy Shot
Hop Shot(says step in the guide, its a typo)

Okay thank you! Sorry bout all the trouble.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 19

I've done some preliminary testing on Potential and what I've found is not encouraging.

Testing Otto Porter (with an overall of 70 and a Potential rating of 65), I found that after the first season his Potential rating increased to a 72 (which is also what his overall rating increased to). His overall increased because 10-12 ratings increased by one point per. The single-point increase in random ratings continued until year 8, but it appears that every other year about half of the ratings that increased by a point also decreased by a point to neutralize any real progression, thereby causing the overall rating to stay the same.

At year 8, due to a decrease in playing time (going from 33 MPG to 12 MPG), he had several random ratings decrease by one point each and his overall dropped 1 point. During the beginning of the next several seasons I made sure he had around 33 MPG and no ratings changed at all. My theory is that, as a player gets older, playing time directly effects the rate at which the player regresses moreso than production, but it could be tied to either.

I did a second (shorter) test with Otto Porter with a 95 potential rating. After the first year, I found that EVERY rating (except potential) increased by 3-5 points. This occurred for the first 3-4 years that I tested. What I noticed is, with Potential at 95, if a rating is under 85 it will increase by 5-6 points per year, if a rating is between 85-90 it will increase by 3-4 points, and if a rating is above 90 it will increase by 2-3 points. EVERY RATING DOES THIS BESIDES POTENTIAL.

I haven't tested it far enough, but if a player does continue to progress at this rate for the first 7 hears he is in the league (if given playing time), he could theoretically see a 35 point increase IN EVERY RATING. I will do a little more testing to see if this theory is valid or not.

I am strongly considering setting potential rating equal to or slightly higher than the overall rating a player starts out with to avoid a ridiculous skewing of ratings over time and only allowing controlled progression during Association mode through the use of practice drills and the end-of-the-year camp (can't remember what it is off the top of my head).

Progression also doesn't appear to be based on a logical progression of ratings. Otto Porter is an All-Around SF/PF (in the 65 potential test) in my roster and the ratings that increased the first year were 3PT, Dunk, Eurostep, Runner, Step Through, Post Fade, Post HOok, Handling, Off Hand, Pass, On Ball D, Low Post D, OFF AWA, Stamina, Strength, Vertical, and Emotion. With a 95 potential EVERY rating increased. Every one. I'm assuming that if I ran enough tests I could determine how many and which ratings increased based on what rating Potential is set at but I doubt I'm going to go that deep.

In case you are concerned about stats if a player doesn't progress very much (as Porter didn't with 65 Potential), his stats in the years 3-5 were:

33 MPG, 12.7PPG, 6.3RPG, 3.4APG, 1.5SPG, 1.2 BPG, 41.7FG%, 28.4 3PT%
34.6 MPG, 14.3PPG, 6.5RPG, 4.3APG, 1.3SPG, .9BPG, 44.2FG%, 30.1 3PT%
35 MPG, 14.6PPG, 6.7RPG, 3.5APG, 1.3SPG, .9BPG, 45.5FG%, 31.9 3PT%

I gave him ratings/tendencies similar to a young Tayshaun Prince who's numbers in years 3-5 were:

37 MPG, 14.7PPG, 5.3RPG, 3APG, .7SPG, .9BPG, 48.7FG%, 34.1 3PT%
35.3 MPG, 14.1PPG, 4.2RPG, 2.3APG, .8SPG, .5BPG, 45.5FG%, 35 3PT%
36.6 MPG, 14.3PPG, 5.2RPG, 2.8APG, .6SPG, .7BLK, 46FG%, 38.63PT%
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #45
MVP

The progression with 95 potential slowed to 2-3 points per rating (and nearly every rating increased) after the 4th season and to 1-2 points per rating (and nearly every rating) after the 5th season. The beginning of the 4th season he was a 93 overall which was nearly equal to his Potential rating. I think the gap between overall rating and Potential Rating is what determines how fast a player develops.

In this test, Porter progressed in the following manner:

Years 1-3 5 Points per rating if under 85, 3-4 points per rating if between 85 and 90, 2-3 points per rating if above 90. His overall Rating at the end of year 3 was 92.

Years 4-7 1-2 points per rating regardless of what the rating was. It seems the progression slows to not allow the Overall Rating to not go past the Potential rating and vice versa. At the end of year 7 his Overall Rating was 95 which matched his potential.

In year 8, he decreased by 1 in several ratings and his overall rating dropped to a 94.

Everything stayed the same in year 9.

I am not going to test anymore right now, but the Progression in both tests lasted from years 1-7, there was a slight decrease in year 8, then a plateau beginning in year 9. I would assume this plateau lasts for 3-4 years, then a slight regression (probably 1-2 points per rating for random ratings) occurs until retirement.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #46
MVP

In the test with 95 Potential, his 3-5 season stats were:

35MPG, 18.1PPG, 8RPG, 3.7APG, 1.4SPG, 1.3BPG, 45.7FG%, 32.73PT%, 80FT%
35.4MPG, 20.2PPG, 8.1RPG, 3.9APG, 1.5SPG, 1.4BPG, 47.5FG%, 38.53PT%, 84.1FT%
36.1MPG, 18.2PPG, 8.1RPG, 3.4APG, 1.5SPG, 1.4BPG, 48.7FG%, 42.43PT%, 83FT%

His Take Shot Tendency also increased to From 52 to 74, his 3PT Tendency increased from 30 to 53, and his Touches Tendency increased from 57 to 77.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #47
Rookie

Would you still recommend 100 pass out for all players?

And if you don't mind could you give me a few examples of what pick and roll vs fade to give certain players?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #48
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm44
The progression with 95 potential slowed to 2-3 points per rating (and nearly every rating increased) after the 4th season and to 1-2 points per rating (and nearly every rating) after the 5th season. The beginning of the 4th season he was a 93 overall which was nearly equal to his Potential rating. I think the gap between overall rating and Potential Rating is what determines how fast a player develops.

In this test, Porter progressed in the following manner:

Years 1-3 5 Points per rating if under 85, 3-4 points per rating if between 85 and 90, 2-3 points per rating if above 90. His overall Rating at the end of year 3 was 92.

Years 4-7 1-2 points per rating regardless of what the rating was. It seems the progression slows to not allow the Overall Rating to not go past the Potential rating and vice versa. At the end of year 7 his Overall Rating was 95 which matched his potential.

In year 8, he decreased by 1 in several ratings and his overall rating dropped to a 94.

Everything stayed the same in year 9.

I am not going to test anymore right now, but the Progression in both tests lasted from years 1-7, there was a slight decrease in year 8, then a plateau beginning in year 9. I would assume this plateau lasts for 3-4 years, then a slight regression (probably 1-2 points per rating for random ratings) occurs until retirement.
Good findings! Haven't started my association yet but what I think what your getting at is that by year 7-9 that is when a player reaches their potential rating? Also, with the 95 potential rating testing, did that attribute increase or decrease overtime?

I guess the trick is to edit the players based on production. I'm making a draft class right now and basically, even in real life, no one knows how the players will pan out, everything is based on potential. And usually people always overestimate potential. My fear is that if I have a 64 overall player in my draft class with a 91 potential that he will be getting 5 point increases in every category each year but he didn't even touch the floor that year or even the next year. I wished 2k just gave us a letter grade for potential like A,B,C,D,or F in where someone with an "A" potential has a higher chance of being a future HOF or All Star but still has the possibility of being a buss (Ex. Kwame Brown) it makes it more unpredictable. Even with a "F" potential it just means there are more chances for the player to be a buss but he still has a chance to be a HOF, based on his stats and the randomness factor.

Also,

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters »