Home

Slimm44's 2k14 Editing Guide

This is a discussion on Slimm44's 2k14 Editing Guide within the NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Slimm44's 2k14 Editing Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm44
If you have any questions, please let me know.
First, thanks tons for this.

One quick question. For the "standing layup" rating, the stat you have as ins%, is that the shooting percentage on shots at the rim? Checking hoopsdata it looks like the league average make% is 65%, and that would be good for a 99 rating. What am I missing?

Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #58
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Vee
First, thanks tons for this.

One quick question. For the "standing layup" rating, the stat you have as ins%, is that the shooting percentage on shots at the rim? Checking hoopsdata it looks like the league average make% is 65%, and that would be good for a 99 rating. What am I missing?

Thanks again.
Nothing, if they shoot 65%+ then they get a 99 rating. It doesn't mean they won't miss but that rating will result in more accurate sim stats. Standing Layup took the place of the old Inside Shot rating.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:15 AM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Click the link
Ive tried but nothing comes up…
Old 10-31-2013, 03:34 AM   #60
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungDre
Ive tried but nothing comes up…
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxjZ...it?usp=sharing

It works.

You may have to sign into google(or create an account if you don't already have one).
Old 10-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #61
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Responses in bold. You're on PC, aren't you?
Yup, still on PC. Not having purchased 2k14 though. Rented it and wasn't really happy. Gonna wait till you guys release rosters based on your testings, maybe then.

A few more questions...

1) In general, have you found something like a sweet spot for tendency adjustments necessary to make a player take lots of midrange shots off the dribble consistently? I found it very difficult to balance out values for that. Having individual dribble move tendencies too low made the players run straight into the defender way too often, but if you set them a bit too high, they chain together move after move, forcing their way into the paint. You're still running with the cap at 25 for dribble tendencies and DTL from 0-50?

2) What is your opinion on defensive pressure in profiles and the on ball d rating? I really liked 1 vs 1 situations with OBD at 1 and maxing out on ball pressure in coaching profiles looking at the way it removed the canned bumping animations, but it has the obvious downsides in terms of allowing too much penetration. Are you seeing enough midrange iso shots with default on ball defense ratings, or do you use adjusted sliders for your testings?

3) If the guide is still accurate, you're using shot attempt per 40 minutes for shooting tendencies? Does this translate into realistic distribution in game for you? I saw a lot of passing around in the paint by players having low close/inside values instead of taking open looks, but this observation is based on using default playbooks and roster edits not nearly as extensive as your work. So I ran with having all shot tendencies maxed out globally to make players more aggressive, which seemed to have way less impact than in 2k13, where close/midrange at 100 was a huge difference from 50. That's not what you're doing I suppose, tendency sliders are mostly at default, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #62
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
Yup, still on PC. Not having purchased 2k14 though. Rented it and wasn't really happy. Gonna wait till you guys release rosters based on your testings, maybe then.

A few more questions...

1) In general, have you found something like a sweet spot for tendency adjustments necessary to make a player take lots of midrange shots off the dribble consistently? I found it very difficult to balance out values for that. Having individual dribble move tendencies too low made the players run straight into the defender way too often, but if you set them a bit too high, they chain together move after move, forcing their way into the paint. You're still running with the cap at 25 for dribble tendencies and DTL from 0-50?

2) What is your opinion on defensive pressure in profiles and the on ball d rating? I really liked 1 vs 1 situations with OBD at 1 and maxing out on ball pressure in coaching profiles looking at the way it removed the canned bumping animations, but it has the obvious downsides in terms of allowing too much penetration. Are you seeing enough midrange iso shots with default on ball defense ratings, or do you use adjusted sliders for your testings?

3) If the guide is still accurate, you're using shot attempt per 40 minutes for shooting tendencies? Does this translate into realistic distribution in game for you? I saw a lot of passing around in the paint by players having low close/inside values instead of taking open looks, but this observation is based on using default playbooks and roster edits not nearly as extensive as your work. So I ran with having all shot tendencies maxed out globally to make players more aggressive, which seemed to have way less impact than in 2k13, where close/midrange at 100 was a huge difference from 50. That's not what you're doing I suppose, tendency sliders are mostly at default, right?
Keep in mind that we're still testing, but this is what I'm seeing:

1. We have been testing with the DTL scale from the guide doubled, going from 0-10-20-30-40-50 to 0-20-40-60-80-100 and I am currently (right now) testing ATB being equal to the player's Inside Shot Tendency and PO being whatever needs to be added to that to equal 100. For example, Player X has an Inside Shot Tendency of 35. His ATB would be 35 and his PO would be 65. I think this significantly cuts down on passing amongst players in the paint (especially big men) because players are more likely to be aggressive.

I'm not sure if we've found the sweet spot yet, but we're pretty close if we haven't.

2. We've been testing the On Ball Defense Slider at 36, Strength at 0, and the Coaching Profile for On Ball Defensive Pressure on a scale of 25-37-50-62-75, depending on the TO% each team forced last year. It's working well. There is some bodying up on the perimeter but there are also blow-by's. I think we have something pretty good going here.

3. We are testing with the Mid-Range Global Slider and Coaching Profile Tendency at 100 and also have Offensive Awareness at 100. This really helps the mid-range game, both with spot up shooters, shooters coming off of screens, and players being more willing to shoot in general. I think having a lower PO Tendency and a higher ATB tendency helps in the sense of increasing FGA, also.

If you're on FB, send me your info in a PM. It's easier to conversate that way. Also, I can send you a copy of my roster if you want to re-rent the game again and see what I'm seeing. It takes a little while to get there, but this game is head-and-shoulders above 2k13, IMO.
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc123
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxjZ...it?usp=sharing

It works.

You may have to sign into google(or create an account if you don't already have one).
Aww ok gotcha!… thanks
Old 11-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #64
MVP

OVR: 19

A new version of the Editing Guide has been posted. This is a "rough notes" list of the changes.

A sample page where we got these statistics is found at:

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.htm...PerMode=Totals

To navigate to other players besides Durant:

Click Players
Click on name of player
Click Stats
Click General Stats -----> Click Shooting
Stats are on this page

All Stats for this came from NBA.com
Layup Rating = Driving Layup % +10, if player shot no driving layups you can use overall Layup %. Should never be higher than Standing Layup Ratings.
“New Layup Ratings”(Euro, Hop Step, Etc) = Layup ratings – 10 for athletic players. For Bigs I have these set to 25 unless they are know to be more athletic than that. EX. Thad Young is a PF he has Layup Rating - 10
Post Fadeaway – Use Turnaround Fadeaway Shot % based on Inside % chart in guide (I had to expand it on the low side), not sure all turnaround fadeaways are from the post, but I don't know what else to use
Hook Shot – Use Hook Shot % and Inside Scale
*Remember these are post shots a surprising number of players will have 25 in both these as they do not post or shoot post shots. I am not going to start making up ratings for players after putting all this effort into making them as realistic as possible

Speed and Quickness measurements found at: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...0&pos=0&sort=1

Speed and Quickness - New Scales from last night:
Speed Scale - based on 3/4 court sprint speed on Draft Express

99 - 2.95 or faster
95 - 3.05
90 - 3.15
85 - 3.25
80 - 3.35
75 - 3.45
70 - 3.55
65 - 3.65
60 - 3.75
55 - 3.85
50- 3.95
45 - 4.05
40 - 4.15
35 - 4.25
30 - 4.35
25- 4.45 or slower

Quickness Scale: based off lane agility drill

8.5-99
8.9-95
9.3-90
9.7-85
10.1-80
10.5-75
10.9-70
11.3-65
11.7-60
12.1-55
12.5-50
12.9-45
13.3-40
13.7-35
14.1-35
14.5-30
14.9-25

Tendencies: I looked at several shot types and used my judgement for a lot of this. For example, if a player only shot a handful of pull-up jumpers I gave them a low pull-up tendency
For TT tendencies I went with All 4 total 100 system, so for example: Thaddeus Young TT tendencies are: PF=5 TT=10 TT Shot=10 No TT= 75
For Shot Types, we looked at the # of these types of shots the player took on NBA.com.
I'll keep it really simple for now: Lets say a player took 100 jump shots and 5 of them were fadeaways, that means 5% of his total jumpshots were fadeaways so in fadeaway tendency he gets a 5.
Same for the others, if the same player shot 15 step back j's that tendency would be 15
I used turnaround jumpshots(non-fadeaway) for Spin J's.
One thing I noticed was that, regardless of what people think they see on TV, according to NBA.com, these type of shots do not occur often for 99% of players
For Dunk(v layup) I took layups shots taken+dunks, then found what the % dunks was of that total: 90 layups + 10 dunks = 100, 10 is 10% of 100 so this player gets a 10 dunk tenedency Real Life example: T. Young - 42 Dunks+219 Layups=261 42 is 16% of 261 so he has a 16 dunk tendency
Alley oops = total # of oops attempted(top of NBA.com stats)
I added Bank jump shot and Bank Hook Shot to get Use Glass tenedency
For Post Shots I used this to set to Post Shots(overall) tend. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...MR3dCU0E#gid=0
For Post Hook and Fadeaway I just used the raw attempt numbers.

So if a player took 67 hook shots and 12 turnaround fadeaways:
Post Hook=67
Post Fade=12

I put shimmy and hop shots to zero for the time being, you could split the Fades in half or partially for shimmy shots if you want.
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters »