Home

The Purist(s) NBA 2K11 Sliders (Post-Patch)

This is a discussion on The Purist(s) NBA 2K11 Sliders (Post-Patch) within the NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #401
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: The Purist(s) NBA 2K11 Sliders (Post-Patch)

I used your slider philosophy to generate more non-shooting fouls and it worked! I'm finally seeing non-shooting fouls! You the man!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #402
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
Just a general question for you guys. I am posting in here because I appreciate greeniblue's dedication in the lab and I can tell he has a good eye for basketball in the real world and how it's translated into video games (not just looking at end game stats, but how they get there). I'd like to see his input.

Anyway...

How many games do you guys play before making a slider adjustments based on statistical output?

How many games do you guys play before making slider adjustments based on the "feel" (tendencies, animations etc.)

At what point is a slider tweak from a value of 36 to a 37 is justified? How do we know that what we are seeing isn't placebo, or a variation of MULTIPLE things affecting it...from the dice roll of animations, player attributes, ratings etc. It's not like we can play in a vaccum and isolate individual sliders and test them repeatedly in the EXACT situation. Can we honestly say there's a difference between Clutch Factor at 3 or at 9? Or Help Defense at 78 as opposed to 79? Do we use elite defensive teams over and over to get to that conclusion? and against what opponent?

I find the game plays slightly different from game to game, yet most of us tweak multiple sliders here and there after a game or two, throwing in different variables all at once.

Also, the Lakers in real life recently went through a 5-6 stretch against mediocre and subpar teams. Their offense was struggling, their defense was lapsing, they played fatigued and looked vulnerable without Bynum/Ratliff. Anyway, can you imagine if this happened in 2k11? We would be going crazy with slider tweaks, especially if it was on Pro (lol). I'm just saying, I see a lot of people posting game stat results and over analyzing...

Just browsing in last night's boxscores in the NBA, I saw a team grab 4 offensive rebounds, Minnesota grabbed 21. I saw Memphis attempt 5 three pointers, while Houston attempted like 25. I saw the Clippers shoot something like 12 free throws all game, while Denver had near 40. I saw Charlotte go something like 2-15 from down town while Miami was 10-18. Do we bump down 3-point success or bump it up if we had a game like that in 2k11?

I'm just curious how you guys are coming to certain conclusions. I see it in multiple threads, people posting completely different sliders and everyone that tries them say how amazing they are. If I didn't know any better, I would think that out of the box settings are the worst...

Wow, PB. I could write a dissertation on this topic.

I'm afraid if I answer some of your questions honestly, I'll offend some people. I'm not so good with PR. And I don't really know how to talk about the others without writing a dissertation.

The long and short of it is: I don't know. I don't know what's the difference between 3-9. I don't know how many games makes a proper assessment. I don't know what is already there and what I've done. Etc.

The one thing I do know is, I look at all the stats coming in and the important ones resemble mine and mine resemble the NBA's. Of course, I look at other slider threads and I see the same thing. So, yeah... I don't know.

Sorry man. Maybe if you distilled the general idea of your post I could find something less flammable. Lol.

Trust me, I would love to have this conversation. Maybe more than any other on this board... well, it would actually be second in that race... but I don't think I should. I don't think it's a good idea if I do.

Last edited by greenieblue; 12-18-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #403
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_24
I used your slider philosophy to generate more non-shooting fouls and it worked! I'm finally seeing non-shooting fouls! You the man!

Lol, c'mon dude!

Even I saw that coming (both times). And, I can't see your IP.

Anyway, glad I could help. Although, I have no idea how I did.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #404
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil2DaSon
Im not to worried about it cause with the sliders this way it makes me really think about who I pass the ball to. On the other hand it is frustrating cause I will see the other team make amazing passes. Then they make horrible passes too. That's why this slider set is so good. I play the show and madden also, and no slider set on any of those games has ever done that. I know you can't compare, but they actually play almost similar to real players. On the show and madden I never found a slider set that does that.

Thanks, man. But I think credit goes to 2k. And blame goes to the other two developers.

I'm glad you are enjoying them.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #405
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenieblue
Wow, PB. I could write a dissertation on this topic.

I'm afraid if I answer some of your questions honestly, I'll offend some people. I'm not so good with PR. And I don't really know how to talk about the others without writing a dissertation.

The long and short of it is: I don't know. I don't know what's the difference between 3-9. I don't know how many games makes a proper assessment. I don't know what is already there and what I've done. Etc.

The one thing I do know is, I look at all the stats coming in and the important ones resemble mine and mine resemble the NBA's. Of course, I look at other slider threads and I see the same thing. So, yeah... I don't know.

Sorry man. Maybe if you distilled the general idea of your post I could find something less flammable. Lol.

Trust me, I would love to have this conversation. Maybe more than any other on this board... well, it would actually be second in that race... but I don't think I should. I don't think it's a good idea if I do.
What do you mean less flammable?

Feel free to PM me..I don't know if you meant PR with me or with people in this thread or with people in other threads....haha.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #406
Banned

OVR: 17

Just starting a Golden state Association....I'm using these sliders!! I'll let ya know what i think!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #407
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
What do you mean less flammable?

Feel free to PM me..I don't know if you meant PR with me or with people in this thread or with people in other threads....haha.
I just mean that the question (or general idea) is so wide open, it's hard for me to answer carefully.

I'll put it this way, there is no doubt that some of it has to do with brand and the popularity thereof, and PR and the unpopularity thereof.

For me it has to do with putting in a ton of work for something that I consider less than pointless and self-fulfilling prophecies. And, I think in some cases, proper identification of how a slider affects a game immediately and educated guesses.

I still catch myself wondering what would make the game even better. But, above, and that's a dark, lonely, dead-end road.

I think if you feel like browsing back through this thread or the other, I've answered the other questions directly or indirectly through my actions. If you know what I mean.

It's a great question and a great topic, but I have that effort required/ultimate importance/benefit battle going on.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #408
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaugherty
Just starting a Golden state Association....I'm using these sliders!! I'll let ya know what i think!
Cool, man. Let me know!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders »