Home

CPU Catching a rebound=ALWAYS fastbreak

This is a discussion on CPU Catching a rebound=ALWAYS fastbreak within the NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: CPU Catching a rebound=ALWAYS fastbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythreesons
I posted earlier and stated I had never noticed this (CPU constantly fastbreaking). Well I played against the Clippers (vs Heat) and they toasted me for 30 fast break points out of 53 total points (All-Star/Sim 5 mins qt). Pushing the pace after EVERY missed shot.

So I played them again making a concerted effort to get back on "D" usually with my 1 or 2 guard sprinting all the way back to the rim then coming forward to pick up the ball.

CHECK THIS OUT: They scored 4 FBPs out of a total of 40.

Guys, you don't want to hear this, but the CPU is doing what most real NBA teams will do (at least those with the right personnel): Push the pace and try to score if you don't stop them. Even if the primary break fails they will continue to attack if your defense is still in dis-array. Like I said, you probably don't want to hear it, but you can counter the break, not with sliders, but sound defense. I found that when they were stopped a few times the CPU tended not to do it as often. When they are having success the CPU is merciless and will ram it down your throat.

Not intending to DIS on anyone just relaying my experience.
You might be onto something-- they CPU might just be doing whatever works. There were games that seemed to slow down and turn more into a slug fest once I prioritized getting back on D. Does the CPU reset after a failed fast break though? That I would like to see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
You might be onto something-- they CPU might just be doing whatever works. There were games that seemed to slow down and turn more into a slug fest once I prioritized getting back on D. Does the CPU reset after a failed fast break though? That I would like to see.
Yes they reset... I even had a few possession (of theirs) that went down to the shot clock countdown [3.. 2.. 1..]. I had to work on "D" though, but they did reset.

I do a lot of hands up on defense (hands down man down); even deflected a few alley-opp attempts. A time or two hands up defense caused misses on FB lay-up attempts.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Yes they reset... I even had a few possession (of theirs) that went down to the shot clock countdown [3.. 2.. 1..]. I had to work on "D" though, but they did reset.

I do a lot of hands up on defense (hands down man down); even deflected a few alley-opp attempts. A time or two hands up defense caused misses on FB lay-up attempts.
Hmm. Is it more effective than block attempts? I have had zero success with block attempts on fast break layups unless my guy was already riding him. Even when they collide in the air, the CPU just slides me out of the way and swishes the layup. There should at least be contact, probably a missed shot, and a foul.

That's a real problem this year-- that their collision engine seems to turn off when any player gets a head of steam and goes into an animation.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #28
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
I posted earlier and stated I had never noticed this (CPU constantly fastbreaking). Well I played against the Clippers (vs Heat) and they toasted me for 30 fast break points out of 53 total points (All-Star/Sim 5 mins qt). Pushing the pace after EVERY missed shot.

So I played them again making a concerted effort to get back on "D" usually with my 1 or 2 guard sprinting all the way back to the rim then coming forward to pick up the ball.

CHECK THIS OUT: They scored 4 FBPs out of a total of 40.

Guys, you don't want to hear this, but the CPU is doing what most real NBA teams will do (at least those with the right personnel): Push the pace and try to score if you don't stop them. Even if the primary break fails they will continue to attack if your defense is still in dis-array. Like I said, you probably don't want to hear it, but you can counter the break, not with sliders, but sound defense. I found that when they were stopped a few times the CPU tended not to do it as often. When they are having success the CPU is merciless and will ram it down your throat.

Not intending to DIS on anyone just relaying my experience.
Doesn't using the turbo button leave your #1 or 2 guard fatigued and coming in and out of the game more?

For me, I don't want my best players, Jennings and Ellis, on the pines after 5 minutes of a sprint fest.

Am I missing something?

Just trying to understand your theory.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #29
Pro

OVR: 0

The overuse of fast break, the lack of shot distribution when a shooter is not shooting well, and the lack of plays ran by the cpu are probably the only issues I have with the game at this point. I fixed the offensive rebounding, drives, points in the paint, and the horrible defense off screens and picks. Seems to be tougher to fix then I originally thought...
Old 10-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #30
Rookie

it's just plain stupid, isn't it - how in the hell did 2k not notice this? this kind of issue deserves immediate attention and patching, even for the pc version. it just ruins the game for me.

the only solution is to switch to the cpu controlled team after they rebound and call a play for them, then switch back to your team. that's no way to play the game...
Old 10-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 14

Last year we were complaining that cpu didn't run break or play aggressive.
Like the other poster said, its actually not that bad if you prioritize to get back. If you stop them on the initial break, they back off, and then run a play. After a few times they slow it down.

The key is to not switch defenders right away. Thus fixed the O rebounding too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #32
Rookie

i've played two entire games trying to counter this problem including fixing sliders and a myriad of different ways to create a defensive presence/stop. sorry, but you're wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders »