Home

Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #73
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Tempo-Freelance-RunPlays

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtreydawg
Specifically, spot up tendencies. A few Roster makers (and I'm going to do this too) are doing away with all freelance tendencies except Spot up, set pick and post up.

For you sirjam, this is probably the way to go if you want to improve your drive and kick game. This is going to require A LOT of editing but it is worth it.

The Problem:

Give and Go - this is misleading because it emplies that they will only cut to the basket after a pass. In practice this actually effects the computers willingness to cut when his defender leaves him. This is why you expierience the lane being clogged when you start your drive. Worse if the cutter does not get the ball passed to him he will camp out in the lane for a bit.

Off ball screens - this would be cool if the computer was competent at setting up a two man screen play but the result is screwy at best with players looking over their wrong shoulder most times.

So basically you're gonna want to invest a week of your life over emphasizing each players tendency to spot up in freelance.

It will be worth it,

You will have grey hair.
What do you mean by do away with? Zero out all other freelance tendencies?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #74
Pro

bigtreydawg's Arena

OVR: 2

Yes. you want your bigs to stand by the baseline and eagerly await a pass from the player you're driving with. You do that by eliminating his other choices.

The game runs enough set plays so you don't have to worry about the game looking stiff. And the game is intuitive enough to properly shift locations depending on where the ball handler goes.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #75
Rookie

StickSkillz's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Specifically, spot up tendencies. A few Roster makers (and I'm going to do this too) are doing away with all freelance tendencies except Spot up, set pick and post up.

For you sirjam, this is probably the way to go if you want to improve your drive and kick game. This is going to require A LOT of editing but it is worth it.

The Problem:

Give and Go - this is misleading because it emplies that they will only cut to the basket after a pass. In practice this actually effects the computers willingness to cut when his defender leaves him. This is why you expierience the lane being clogged when you start your drive. Worse if the cutter does not get the ball passed to him he will camp out in the lane for a bit.

Off ball screens - this would be cool if the computer was competent at setting up a two man screen play but the result is screwy at best with players looking over their wrong shoulder most times.

So basically you're gonna want to invest a week of your life over emphasizing each players tendency to spot up in freelance.

It will be worth it,

You will have grey hair.
So your saying every Freelance tendency should have 0 except for Spot up, post up & set pick?

What about the touches and iso freelance tendency?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #76
Pro

bigtreydawg's Arena

Oh, I forgot touches is included in freelance. Leave touches alone that is important for who gets a play called for them. And I forgot to mention use pick. (Something cool you can do is set your hot spot pick and roll high for the corner positions. The game does not have enough corner plays so this helps a great deal with baseline activity.)

ISO, I'm conflicted about. someone respectable posted that it does not jive well with on court activity and I believe that. The way I figure there are enough ISO plays within the play book that look and feel significantly better than a freelance ISO.

NOTE: do not zero out ISO hotspots this helps the play calling engine choose the right ISO play for a given player.

Last edited by bigtreydawg; 03-24-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #77
Rookie

StickSkillz's Arena

Quote:
Oh, I forgot touches is included in freelance. Leave touches alone that is important for who gets a play called for them. And I forgot to mention use pick. (Something cool you can do is set your hot spot pick and roll high for the corner positions. The game does not have enough corner plays so this helps a great deal with baseline activity.)

ISO, I'm conflicted about. someone respectable posted that it does not jive well with on court activity and I believe that. The way I figure there are enough ISO plays within the play book that look and feel significantly better than a freelance ISO.

NOTE: do not zero out ISO hotspots this helps the play calling engine choose the right ISO play for a given player.
So would it be smart to have a player like Ray Allen have all other Freelance Tendencies at 0 except for spot up?
Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #78
Pro

bigtreydawg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickSkillz
So would it be smart to have a player like Ray Allen have all other Freelance Tendencies at 0 except for spot up?
Ding ding ding! When a play breaks down Ray Allen gets to stand at the three point. Not run around looking for someone to set a screen for him.

For floor spacing in general it is smart to set all your guards and wing men to 3 point spots. Those with high drive tendencies will look to blow past close out D while sharp shooters like Allen and Novak will sink bombs. I finally have what looks like a real game of Basketball.

I'm gonna get this thread back on topic when I get done tinkering but I like the results I'm having thus far. I haven't had to change a single slider to get perfect gameplay. (Other than coefficients for difficulty.)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #79
Rookie

StickSkillz's Arena

Quote:
Ding ding ding! When a play breaks down Ray Allen gets to stand at the three point. Not run around looking for someone to set a screen for him.

For floor spacing in general it is smart to set all your guards and wing men to 3 point spots. Those with high drive tendencies will look to blow past close out D while sharp shooters like Allen and Novak will sink bombs. I finally have what looks like a real game of Basketball.

I'm gonna get this thread back on topic when I get done tinkering but I like the results I'm having thus far. I haven't had to change a single slider to get perfect gameplay. (Other than coefficients for difficulty.)
What about a player like Lebron who posts up & also Spots up?

I have his Freelance Tendencies like:
Iso:100
Spot up: 100
Post Up: 100
Use Pick: 100
Touches at 23 (highest on team)
and everything else at 0

I wasn't saying you said that just was asking for your input

Last edited by StickSkillz; 03-24-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #80
Pro

bigtreydawg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickSkillz
What about a player like Lebron who posts up & also Spots up?
I never said they couldn't have both just remove the other tendencies.

I only give one starter and 1 bench player a post up tendency because it looks dumb as all hell when two people are calling for the ball in the post at the same time.

Edit: spot up just dictates where the player will stand on the court during freelance. What a player does when he gets the ball passed to him is all tendency based.

In most rosters Lebron has a high drive tendency so when he gets the ball passed to him it effectively behaves as an ISO.

Last edited by bigtreydawg; 03-24-2013 at 09:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders »