Home

I need help about which sliders should i use

This is a discussion on I need help about which sliders should i use within the NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
I need help about which sliders should i use

Im looking for someone who has the best Nba 2k sliders Ive played a friend that always run down court and just score and the defense just sit there and watch him they dont respond at all So i'm trying to figure who has the best 2k sliders that offers realism thank you
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: I need help about which sliders should i use

You should use mine, I just posted my highly fine-tuned slider set onto another forum. Needless to say I decided to post my own because I found that many slider set on forums are conceptually wrong. But somehow I can't make a post here; maybe the account is too new.

Should read my post here... damn I can't even post links.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Rookie

Re: I need help about which sliders should i use

Damn it, before I figure out how to unlock my account I'll paste my post content here.

I have been watching NBA for 14 years now (15 if you count this season). I watched NBA games as a fan, and read the articles/blogs by NBA.com writers (David Aldridge, Steve Aschburner, etc.) regularly. In some sense I am still an amateur but I do consider myself knowing enough (or just enough, to show some humility) about the NBA and the way professional basketball is played in general. Needless to say, I play basketball too (though not professionally).

So when I adjust the sliders in NBA2K, trust me I know what I am doing. More or less.

The major problems with default sliders which I attempt to fix, are that

1. The jumpshot success in general is higher than usual,
2. FG% of contested shots is MUCH lower than usual, FG% of open shots is higher than usual
3. The foul frequency is MUCH lower than usual.

2K developers have set it this way because:

1. Gamers will start complaining how hard it is to hit shots when they hit only 40-45% (real-life perimeter players %; a bit higher for big men). Hitting 60-65% in a good game, 50% in bad ones, people feel better, more in control.

2. From a game perspective, the developers have no choice but to reward open shots which you need to put in effort to work for, and punish contested shots. If the game is like reality where open shots don't always go down, and moderately/heavily contested shots sometimes go down, the game would become less predictable and gamers are bound to feel frustrated (it's one thing to feel frustrated while getting paid millions of dollars in real life, it's another thing to feel frustrated in a video game, where you're supposed to have fun).

3. A high foul frequency (like in actual NBA game) would only make gamers complain about getting called for foul too often and having their game flow disrupted (Again, it's one thing to get called for foul for the slightest of contact while getting paid millions, another thing to get called for easy foul in a video game).

2K developers won't do anything that frustrates gamers and hurts the sale.

Resulting problem: In NBA2K it is better to settle for spot-up jumpshots than to attack the basket, which is the complete opposite of the reality.

The motto for basketball games at the professional level is always "take it to the rim, don't settle for jumpshots". It is eternally true because shots in the paint, particularly in the restricted area (right below the basket), has the highest point efficiency all things considered. Attacking the basket/taking shots in restricted area also has a good chance of leading to another type of efficient scoring which is shooting free throws. But in NBA2K, a low foul frequency and high jumpshot success are only encouraging people to "settle for jumpshots, don't take it to the rim".
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

That's where this slider set comes in.

Features:
1. Sliders are for ALL-STAR difficulty

I was told that at Superstar or HOF difficulty, you or your team are merely given a reduction in ratings while the opponents are given a boost. The game feels more difficult at higher difficulties only because you're put at a disadvantage, not because the AI logic is better. The reverse is true for Pro and Rookie. This slider set is based on All-star difficulty, where both teams start on equal ground.

2. Open shots will not go down as often; mildly/moderately contested shots will sometimes go down

Simply because it's the truth. NBA players don't hit 80% of the open shots like NBA2K. Other times when given enough space to follow through the shooting motion, the shot sometimes actually go down even if the shooter has a hand in the face with the defender breathing right under. This slider set should mimic the reality much more closely.

3. Being more realistic means the game could be more difficult, and less video-game-friendly

With this slider set, you can't be happy-go-lucky with low 70s shooting abilities and still take 25 shots or so and score 30-sth points a game, hitting 50%+ of your shots. In fact real NBA players with average shooting (at this 2K scale 70-75), and not weapon-grade shooting (80-85, or higher), do not go around and take 15-20 shots a game (maybe except Brandon Jennings). In other word, know your place.

4. Both CPU and Human slider values are the same

I disagree with most slider changes posted on forums in the past, where values set for CPU are different from Human's (usually favoring Human). CPU may be thought to be more mechanically precise and was thus given a bit of a nerf, but that violates something on a wholly different dimension and that is the principle of fairness. Could you go around telling people you had 34-12-9 and hit the buzzer-beating game winner, "but yeah I set the human sliders 4-5 units higher than CPU"? Could you go to sleep at night knowing that you have owned CPU with a slider set that favors human? Could you? Could you? I mean, well... oh, nevermind.

5. Charging, blocking, loose ball fouls basically not functional in 2K14; No meaningful change made

There is basically no working mechanics in the way charging and blocking fouls are called in 2K14. You might find a charge or two called on aggressive backing-down, but mostly it is non-existent. Even so that's totally not how a charge is supposed to be like. Blocking foul is a bit better, but not by a lot. You might find blocking foul called on someone defending a standing layup, which is just not how it works. Any change made here is merely in response to the frequency of their occurance. No change in number here could make it any meaningfully more realistic. Ironic how the two most common fouls called in NBA is not functional in 2K14.

6. Sliders are adjusted many times, after many hours of playing time and observation

Yes. Simply that. Fine-tuned many times.

7. Custom sliders only reflect in "played" games, not simulated games

By "played", I mean games that are actually playing, either by Human or by AI vs AI. It has nothing to do with my numbers; it's how the game works. See here for more details.

Custom Slider for ALLSTAR difficulty (same for CPU/Human; not mentioned, no change)

GAMEPLAY:
Game speed: 49
Free throw difficulty: 55

GAME SLIDERS:
OFFENSE
Inside shot: 45
Close shot: 47
Mid range: 46
3PT: 46
Pass accuracy: 43
Alley-oop success: 45

DEFENSE
Layup D (takeoff): 51
Layup D (release): 54
Jumpshot D (gather): 44
Jumpshot D (release): 40
Help defense: 70
Steal success: 52

ATTRIBUTE
Ball handling: 47
Hands: 49
Blocking: 52
Offensive awareness: 52
Offensive rebounding: 44
Consistency: 45
Fatigue rate: 47

TENDENCY
Throw alley-oop: 42
Attempt dunks: 53
Contest shots: 54

FOULS
Over the back: 45
Charging: 90
Blocking: 59
Reach-in: 55
Shooting: 69
Loose ball: 90

I must say I hold a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality when I adjust the sliders. I did not overhaul everything, just the ones that are obviously off.

Finally, these changes are made with the purpose of making the video game as close to real life basketball as possible. If you do not agree with some of the changes here, you can still make your own final adjustment. After all isn't that the meaning of allowing users to adjust difficulty sliders?

May the odds be always in your favor.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Sliders »