Home

Let's compare "NBA 2k1 OR ESPN NBA 2K5" FRANCHISE MODE

This is a discussion on Let's compare "NBA 2k1 OR ESPN NBA 2K5" FRANCHISE MODE within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
Let's compare "NBA 2k1 OR ESPN NBA 2K5" FRANCHISE MODE

NBA 2K1
PROS
Begin able to to trade Draft picks for the future ex. two years ahead.
The GREATEST POENTIAL SYSTEM EVER!!!There was no potential system, it was how you perform, One year in my game DeMarr Johnson was a 100 then the next year he was a 79, it was too cool.
It had more Awards and a NBA Finals Celebration
It had more shoes, not skocking.
All Star venue changed every year.
Realistic trades
the dunks were better, no question about that
It had the 86' ATL Hawks Throwback
rookies Players names where said, and they had nicknames.

CONS
gameplay great for that time, like I said, for that time
A create player couldn't enter the franchise mode
Scouting was confusing
It's Weekly simlation, no game to game sim.
the fact that it franchise mode is better then 2k5
You couldn't afford skit. because the players step up in contract years.
the cpu def. was top notch.

NBA2K5
PROS
Chemistry thing is cool
Import draft classes
Real Money

CONS
I don't know where to start
Progression sucks
the draft sucks no second round players become stars.
the setup is lame and harder to figure out then last years game.
All Star game venue never change
It's the same people in the All Star game every year
celebration sucks
the franchise mode is boring and only one player
no highlights like NFL 2k5
NBA Action on Sega Saturn had 10 awards ROTY, POTY, DPOTY, SBOTY, RBOTY, ALOTY, PLOTY AND MORE, while ESPN 2k5 has 6th man, POTY, AND ROTY very weak Sega, very weak.
No HOF or retired jesery like MLB 2k5.
This game sucked; Take Two you need to pick this piece Suckga screwed up, you can do it, it's not that hard, play NBA 2k1 and you will quickly see that that Franchise mode was polished, while 2k5 mode just sucked.
And please get rid of 24/7, it's gay.
The Throwbacks looked horrid.
They say numbers like it's NCAA football 05 or something
Trades needs to be BETTER, no Lebron for J Kidd who's a 20 year pro.

The pics don't do the game any justice.
NBA 2k1:
NBA 2k5:

Last edited by nbasuperstar40; 04-16-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Let's compare "NBA 2k1 OR ESPN NBA 2K5" FRANCHISE MODE

from ign.com about espn nba 2k1: Seriously, though, the franchise mode is pretty dope. It is basically the same set-up as football, and the best part of the whole experience is watching player stats flow with their performance throughout the season. Have a series of great games with a secondary player like Kendall Gill, and suddenly, his stats may show him to be the type of guy he thought he was when he left Charlotte. Keep giving him the pill, and next thing you know, the numbers for guys like Steph and Van Horn might dip a bit. Or, if you are winning, they might rise too, and suddenly you're a front runner for play-off contention. Draft a good rookie for a team like the Warriors, play him, develop him, and see if you can't get these guys back to respectability.

this is from gamespot.com about NBA 2k1: There are twice as many dunks as the original, with throw-downs like Rider's "East Bay funk," Jordan's leaner, double-clutch dunks, and two-handed windmills, among others. Both the dribble moves and the dunks are very much player specific, as attempting a dribble move with "Big Country" or to taking it strong to the hole with old man Stockton would be ill-advised.

Last edited by nbasuperstar40; 04-11-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

i havent played 2k1 one in so long i cant really compare, but i do know there are some things i like about 2k5 and alot of things i dont. the graphics are pretty close to top notch now, dont need to really tweak them anymore other than the crowds. the shot animations looked really good this year for the most part except everyone shoots the same, but the animations did look good. isomotion is stupid, bring back the one button crossover or spin, or just do something but get rid of isomotion. like you said in 2k5 the layups and dunks need to be completely redone and add tons of them, no excuse for lack of them. there were tons back then. the association is garbage, chemistry would be good if it actually affected anything, and talking to players was so dumb. there is so much more you can add to make the game alot better. i wish they would actually sit down and take our wishlists seriously. for some reason i think this years game is gonna be a really good one. ive got my fingers crossed.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #4
Banned

There lazy, I'm not buying there crap next year, I'm done with them, I wrote them a hefty list on how to make the game better, and they made it worse, well franchise wise. I'm done, Take Two. Sega screwed it up for you.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnettrules21
i havent played 2k1 one in so long i cant really compare, but i do know there are some things i like about 2k5 and alot of things i dont. the graphics are pretty close to top notch now, dont need to really tweak them anymore other than the crowds. the shot animations looked really good this year for the most part except everyone shoots the same, but the animations did look good. isomotion is stupid, bring back the one button crossover or spin, or just do something but get rid of isomotion. like you said in 2k5 the layups and dunks need to be completely redone and add tons of them, no excuse for lack of them. there were tons back then. the association is garbage, chemistry would be good if it actually affected anything, and talking to players was so dumb. there is so much more you can add to make the game alot better. i wish they would actually sit down and take our wishlists seriously. for some reason i think this years game is gonna be a really good one. ive got my fingers crossed.

I never played 2k1 , but i agree 2k5 needs lots of work. get rid of iso, totally revamp association. as far as 2k6 goes i will buy based solely on the news that some of the old inside drive guys are on board. gameplay should be improved and hopefully individual player tendencies(editable) will find their way into the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2005, 02:07 AM   #6
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

you know, im going to say one thing in this thread then leave it be, maybe it will shine some light on some things for people, so that they structure threads liek this and make them constructive, detailed, and well thought out...

Beleive it or not, developers do come to these boards, they read all the threads, threads like THIS however.. get read and thrown in the trash..

you might ask "why".

Well all you are doing is saying in few words.. "This game sucks!! VC is LAZY, they dont know what they are doing, im smart i know more then them".. in a nutshell...

Listen to me now,

A thread like this COULD be VERY informative and VERY useful to developers.. think about what your typing, provide explinations and details of why things bother you,(how they could improve, etc).. a pros an cons list is a good START, but the constant flaming does NOTHING to developers, nothing AT ALL.. believe me.

So to reiterate.. construstive critiscism(sp?) is ALWAYS a good thing.. but just be more descriptive and provide ways to make the product better instead of just flaming..

i hope no hard feelings, just trying to help

-gsw

Last edited by GSW; 04-13-2005 at 02:10 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 5

i agree 100 percent with the original poster. the 2k series for nba has fallen off hard. 2K2 though to me is the best ever in the series, not 2k1.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:16 AM   #8
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenstWarrior
you know, im going to say one thing in this thread then leave it be, maybe it will shine some light on some things for people, so that they structure threads liek this and make them constructive, detailed, and well thought out...

Beleive it or not, developers do come to these boards, they read all the threads, threads like THIS however.. get read and thrown in the trash..

you might ask "why".

Well all you are doing is saying in few words.. "This game sucks!! VC is LAZY, they dont know what they are doing, im smart i know more then them".. in a nutshell...

Listen to me now,

A thread like this COULD be VERY informative and VERY useful to developers.. think about what your typing, provide explinations and details of why things bother you,(how they could improve, etc).. a pros an cons list is a good START, but the constant flaming does NOTHING to developers, nothing AT ALL.. believe me.

So to reiterate.. construstive critiscism(sp?) is ALWAYS a good thing.. but just be more descriptive and provide ways to make the product better instead of just flaming..

i hope no hard feelings, just trying to help

-gsw
Good point out on the real. It's appreciated by me even more which is something that I can use next time I need to. I am a cool-tempered guy so I don't believe in the flaming. Or at least I try not to towards the developers. By the way, it's criticism. The structure at first was real good in comparing both games. However, I see a lack of pros for NBA 2K5

NBA 2K1
PROS
Begin able to to trade Draft picks for the future ex. two years ahead.
The GREATEST POENTIAL SYSTEM EVER!!!There was no potential system, it was how you perform, One year in my game DeMarr Johnson was a 100 then the next year he was a 79, it was too cool.
It had more Awards and a NBA Finals Celebration
It had more shoes, not skocking.
All Star venue changed every year.
Realistic trades
the dunks were better, no question about that
It had the 86' ATL Hawks Throwback
rookies Players names where said, and they had nicknames.
Quickness with the crossover
The emphasis on big man dunking (hanging on the rim) vs. little man dunking

CONS
gameplay great for that time, like I said, for that time
A create player couldn't enter the franchise mode
Scouting was confusing
It's Weekly simlation, no game to game sim.
the fact that it franchise mode is better then 2k5
You couldn't afford skit. because the players step up in contract years.
the cpu def. was pretty nice for a good time
The stealing was kind of cheap where you couldn't crossover without getting ripped easily.

NBA2K5
PROS
Chemistry thing is cool
Import draft classes
Real Money
The Next Movement
Creative Dunks not seen before in other games
Great low-post game
More injury specific than previous games
New concept of Full Authority
The new music from new artist
Automatic defense making it more realistic
Most up-to-date graphics with muscle movement and everything like that
Create-A-Shoe
Hall of fame mode (though it has to be unlocked)
CONS
Progression needs more improvement
The draft sucks no second round players become stars.
The setup is lame and harder to figure out then last years game.
All Star game venue never change
It's the same people in the All Star game every year
Celebration sucks
Very subpar franchise mode with lack of user-friendly interface
Lack of highlights like NFL 2k5
NBA Action on Sega Saturn had 10 awards ROTY, POTY, DPOTY, SBOTY, RBOTY, ALOTY, PLOTY AND MORE, while ESPN 2k5 has 6th man, POTY, AND ROTY very weak Sega, very weak.
No retired jesery like MLB 2k5.
This game sucked; Take Two you need to pick this piece Suckga screwed up, you can do it, it's not that hard, play NBA 2k1 and you will quickly see that that Franchise mode was polished, while 2k5 mode just sucked.
The Throwbacks could be improved with accessories
They say numbers like it's NCAA football 05 or something
24/7 PERIOD IS ANTI-BASKETBALL

Last edited by luv_mist; 04-15-2005 at 12:29 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »