Home

What does the +/- stat mean?

This is a discussion on What does the +/- stat mean? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Rookie

dredogg90's Arena

OVR: 6
What does the +/- stat mean?

At the end of the game, in the box score, in the very last column there's a +/- stat. I have no idea what that means. Does anyone know?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: What does the +/- stat mean?

How the team performs while that player is on the court. So if the Heat score 30 more points when Wade is on the court than the other team, his +/- would be +30. It's similar to how they do it in hockey.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Rookie

dredogg90's Arena

OVR: 6

Oh ok. Thanks a lot!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 8

The change in points when they're on the floor.

If they are negative, it means the player did not contribute to the team winning.

Weather it was a turnover, missed shot, being scored on, etc.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 8

The+/- stat shows the power of teamwork. It's a way of showing the best-engineered/best combination of players on the court. The +/- stat is a statistic that looks at the point differential when players are both in and out of the game, to see how the team performs with various combinations. The +/- stat can look at a variety of combinations including the best two player, three player and even five player combinations for each game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockafella2x
The+/- stat shows the power of teamwork. It's a way of showing the best-engineered/best combination of players on the court. The +/- stat is a statistic that looks at the point differential when players are both in and out of the game, to see how the team performs with various combinations. The +/- stat can look at a variety of combinations including the best two player, three player and even five player combinations for each game.
Copy and paste ftw.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 12

Do you guys like this stat and do you think it has merit? The NBA started using it last year I believe. I'm not sure what I think of it. I think it's great for guys like Bruce Bowen and Tayshaun Prince who's true impact don't always show up in the box score. On the other hand, it can also inflate the performance for someone who isn't that good by simply being on the floor with a star all the time.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears5122
Do you guys like this stat and do you think it has merit? The NBA started using it last year I believe. I'm not sure what I think of it. I think it's great for guys like Bruce Bowen and Tayshaun Prince who's true impact don't always show up in the box score. On the other hand, it can also inflate the performance for someone who isn't that good by simply being on the floor with a star all the time.
Ehh it's okay, only thing wrong with it is the fact that the best team is going to have the top players on it. Look at the rankings of it, it goes like KG, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Rondo. But it's still kind of cool to see on a game to game basis.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »