Home

XBOX 360: My graphics don't look like HD

This is a discussion on XBOX 360: My graphics don't look like HD within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
XBOX 360: My graphics don't look like HD

Hey,

Please help me!

I just got a FULL-HD-TV recently (Philips 47-7403) and attached my Box via a HDMI cable. I was expecting nice graphics with HD-resolution (I activated 1080p in the xbox settings, game is 2k9) but instead everythings looks jagged and lo-res It doesn't matter what kind of connection I use (Component-HDTV, VGA, HDMI) - I just can't get the nice HD-quality that I can see in those photos around this forum.
What am I doing wrong?!?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 14
Re: XBOX 360: My graphics don't look like HD

do other games look better?
if so, you're expectations were too high.

also keep in mind that you have to sit approx 3x your TV size away from the screen... so 47" makes a sitting distance of at least 150".... when close to the tv, it'll always looked jaggy.

another thing could be your TV calibration... check avforums.com and search for calibration settings for your set. some "good" features like noise reduction etc might screw up imagequality.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Rookie

Hey there,
thanks a lot for your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threatlockz
do other games look better?
if so, you're expectations were too high.
Well, the only game that "looks like HD" is Fight Night 3. There are hardly any jagged edges. Everything else looks like it was mid to lo-res.

Quote:
also keep in mind that you have to sit approx 3x your TV size away from the screen... so 47" makes a sitting distance of at least 150".... when close to the tv, it'll always looked jaggy.
I don't sit next to the TV, of course. But still: From that far away the game looks less jaggy but still not like high definition. Like in Black Top mode I can see jaggy edges along the benches in the background and so on.

Sadly, I am not yet allowed to post links. So I'll try to guide you to examples of what I am experiencing here.

Please go to the 2ksports forums and look in the nba2k part, --> "NBA2k9 General Discussion". On page 70, there is a thread labeled "Post your HDT/SDTV NBA 2k9 pictures". On the first page you'll see examples of what I think HD should look like. Too high expectations?

On page 11, post number 106, there is a picture that looks like it does here on my TV. See those edges?

Quote:
another thing could be your TV calibration... check avforums-com and search for calibration settings for your set. some "good" features like noise reduction etc might screw up imagequality.
Thanks for that link. I'll check it out. I doubt though that it'll change much since I've tried most of the available settings already

Last edited by T23Baller; 03-27-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Something must be wrong with your TV settings then because 2K9 has no jaggies on the 360. Check your settings, especially sharpness level.

Also are you sure your TV supports 1080p. Try 720p just in case to see if there is a difference in quality.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Rookie

Hey altimus,

thanks for helping me.

Did you see those pictures, especially the one with the low quality? Well, I do have those jaggies regardless the mode (720-1080p). And adjusting the sharpness didn't make much difference. With any other game (apart from FN3, as mentioned above) I have jagged edges and I didn't notice any (or much) difference in 720 to 1080p. I haven't checked ALL my games yet, though, so far only 2k9, Forza2, FN3 and the NXE avatar display.

((While using the Xbox to watch DVDs via the HDMI connection the pictures look sharp but also kind of low res. Just like movies in old PC games. I don't know but this might be due to the upscaling.))

According to the manual the Philips 7403 is a "FullHD TV" capable of displaying 1920 x 1080.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Rookie

Well, hopefully I am finally qualified for posting URLs

Here is the thread I mentioned:
http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187676

And here is how it looks when I take a picture with my digi cam:

720p
http://i42.tinypic.com/ir2moy.jpg

1080p
http://i42.tinypic.com/126bll1.jpg
Old 03-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Turn your SHARPNESS all the way down to 0 homie that should help
Old 03-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 15

in the xbox dashboard do the thing where it comes up with the reccomended resolution. I could jack mine all the way up to 1080p, but it actually looks better at the recommended 720p.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »