Home

Questions about 2k10

This is a discussion on Questions about 2k10 within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 15
Questions about 2k10

Believe it or not I'm pretty new to basketball as I've just never really got into it. I've played the demo, but it barely scratches the surface.

My question is how is the franchise/association modes in 2k10 in comparison to lets say MLB 2k10, or even Madden 10. I know they are totally different games, but does 2k10 have great commentary, lots of franchise options for both regular season and offseason, etc?

Do I really need to first learn the game of basketball or could I jump into a franchise mode and learn as I go?

Edit: I forgot about one thing. Should I get this game for the 360 or the PC version?

Thanks alot in advance!

Last edited by joejccva71; 03-18-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Questions about 2k10

No one?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Well in my and many other users opinions this is the greatest Association/Franchise/Dynasty mode EVER. Although I must warn you there are a few bugs you will encounter along the way.

The most noticable one is the big man 3 point shooting glitch. Apparently a bunch of big men will shoot an incredible amount of 3's during the year when simming which brings down their shooting %. To fix this you must turn off player roles and team chemistry but doing that ruins association mode in itself so I just leave them on and deal with the so called glitch. A lot of people call it a game killer but it doesn't bring down the fun for me.

The off-season is great, realistic draft, Free agent signings and the works. Controlling all 30 teams make the experience even better IMO. I would recommend it to any sim junkie
Old 03-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Hi man, i'll take a stab at this for you.

I'd say just jump into a franchise. Remember you can max your teams budget over the salary cap as long as you're resigning players you already have under contract, but you can't sign free agents if you're over the cap or if signing them would put you over the cap.

Each year you get an approx 5 million dollar mid level exception you can use to sign free agents even if you're over the cap. If you sign Player A to a 3 year contract for 5 million a year, in the second year of that contract, you will have another 5 million mid level exception if you want to sign someone else. Player A's contract just counts towards your teams total salary figure, but you get a fresh mid level exception every year.

Some chores to kept on top of, make sure everybody's in a good mood, scouts are busy, do your development every month. Not overly complicated. They do a really nice job of really laying out the offseason for you step by step so you can't really miss anything when that time of year rolls around.

As for PC or Xbox, some others will probably have better opinions about that. Whichever one you pick though, make sure to check the bug threads because it seems like people have identified and found ways to avoid some annoyances. I use the PS3 and was on the fifth year of an association that somehow got stuck and now i can't even simulate through the rookie sophomore game. Still not sure what happened there.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I'd say there's no harm in running a few exibition games to get the hang of 2K10. For someone not acclimated with basketball games, the initial learning curve may be steep. I'd suggest making use of the tutorials found in "Game Modes" in the main menu. The dribble moves particularly take a bit of time to get the hang of. I'd imagine it may be frustrating trying to score at first but over time you should be able to get the hang of things.

In terms of franchise and commentary, if you're familiar with MLB 2K10 (it appears you may be) then you should know that NBA2K and MLB2K are relatively similar in this regard. They both make use of a "MLB/NBA Today" mode both in online exibition and in franchise. This provides updates on your players and franchise through commentary as you progress through the year.

Overall, I'm a huge fan of NBA2K's Association/Franchise Mode this season. If you're not a bonafide stat-head, I find it's unlikely you would have ever noticed the aforementioned "big man 3pt%" glitch. I'd highly recommend this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
Banned

Thanks for the advice guys. Are there plans for a patch to fix that 3pt big man glitch sometime in the future?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:44 AM   #7
Rookie

mustardnmayo's Arena

OVR: 6

No, the 2nd patch caused it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »