Home

NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Making a Smarter Game

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Making a Smarter Game within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #97
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Making a Smarter Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBaller
Looking at it right now, MSG has 3 dornas.
quick question if you have a minute SimBaller is the crowds more responsive to what is happening on the court this year, and is there more team spirit during the playoff.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #98
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Lol looks like I opened up a can of worms...thnx for the response sim and uh apologies when you get a ton of questions...
Old 08-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #99
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Simply put...WOW!!

So many great things in this blog, but the two biggest for me were the fact they have separate game settings for casual, the casual hardcore(default), and the hardcore(simulation) fan. I hope other games are taking note of this.

The other is the end of game AI. It seems that seems to be the one thing that has plagued basketball games for the longest time, is how the cpu handles the end of close games.

My birthday is October 5th...man what a great present. Thanks 2k.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #100
Rookie

OVR: 2

Hey SimBaller...love what I'm hearing and reading on this year's game. Haven't been this siked for a bball game since...well, ever I think. Hope you guys let people wear with the half calf sleeve with socks so people will quit complaining about it everytime you guys post a pic (apparently this is a big deal) and maybe include the elbow pad thats attached to most arm sleeves now and the addidas sleeve dwight howard wears (hate to be the "dress up guy"). But frankly thats all i mention at the moment cuz it sounds like you guys have everything else clicking. Great job. Oh, two more words...PLAYOFF ATMOSPHERE
Old 08-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #101
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuture4sho
I can't cosign this... Wat u mean forget about online.. I love this insight but if all of this don't apply for online meaning the game style don't apply for rank games then this is useless plain n simple.. For offline I can change my sliders however i want it.. Myself n alot others want these options for online.. Offline is cool if dats wat u like most.. But this needs to b online... If not den it's a waste for me.. Ghost
This insight doesn't mention online play, but this will obviously effect online because this should help and improve some nagging gameplay issues. Plus even though your playing against a human player, this still effects the other 8 (4 players on each team) AI controlled players on the team; unless you are talking about team play.

One thing I hated about last years game on defense was that I never felt like my team was going to be in good position to make the play, I felt that I would have to swith players and try to move them into position myself. That simply was too hard to do because defenders couldn't move to the right spot fast enough. They also mentioned that man to man defensive is improved, including shading to the baseline and cutting off players. If this works as good as it sounds then defending should be a lot better, and make for a more realistic game.

The offensive adjustments sound like they will help out spacing and also off ball movement, which is something that really bothered me last year. Nothings more annoying on offense to see players standing around, and players not reacting to whats going on on the court. I hated when I would have no one to pass the ball to because they just stayed in one spot. If you drive to the basketball players should move and look to be open for a pass, whether they are on the perimeter or in the paint. It sounds as though they have worked on this and i cant wait to see how much is has improved.

Again these don't directly effect online but they change the actual gameplay, which will make for a better game, both online and offline. Every week I see people who seem unsatisfied with the developer insights because they don't say anything about online. Just be patient and wait until they have the insight for online, they will eventually talk about everything they have done online, they are just focusing on the gameplay aspect first, because that is the most important part of the game. You need to make sure you have a good, solid game to play online before you can address the online aspect of the game. Its only early August just have patience.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #102
SimWorld C.E.O.

ronyell's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insight "Making a Smarter Game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoobie
those gotta be 2k10 pics...if they added wingspans for the players then Gasol's arms should be longer...kinda short in this pic...

LOL... look at Dwight Howard's face on that pic!.... LMAO! he looks like "WHOWHOOWHOO, HOMIE, GASOL JUST JUMPED OVER YOU!"

great read on the additions... agreed that the tendency need to ACTUALLY work for this to truly be praise worthy. i most excited about the spacing & transition revamping. I ALWAYS ended games with like 4 fast break point unless i threw alleys all day
#SimWorldSports #SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 08-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #103
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy
the 'man crush' had me lol'ing.

One thing i really hope they fix is the decision process for who doubles when you are trying to double down on a low post player. Say you are playing the Celtics and you want to double KG on the block because he is killing you. You hit the double team button and your team chooses to leave Ray Allen WIDE open to come for the double rather than to leave someone like Rondo or Perkins who couldn't hit a jumper to save their life.

Seriously though it seems they have true hoop fans working on this game which means it is in good hands and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm still playing 2k10 to this day and enjoying it (the longest i have played a basketball game since inside drive) so i can only look forward with hope for what these guys have in store of 2k11.
Lol at your avatar....
Old 08-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #104
Rookie

OVR: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by womalee23
Wow, I am really pumped for this game, it looks like 2k really listened this year. I can't wait to see what lies ahead. Oct 5 can't get here fast enough for me. I has a feeling this is going to be a "Classic" from every aspect.
I'm with you sir

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »