Home

NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Making a Smarter Game

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Making a Smarter Game within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #57
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insights: Making a Smarter Game

That was definitely the best developer insight blog so far. I love how they're making a strong effort than ever before to make elite point guards stick out. That "pass-first" tendency also frees up the passer rating to actually do its intended job. I also love that guys like Duncan, Wade and Bryant will use the glass more on offense.

Having authentic plays and better "freelance" animations are also going to help playing half-court offense more fun and less of a chore. Maybe we'll also see Shawn Marion or Carmelo Anthony leak-out or cherry-pick for easy baskets like real life too?

Side-note: The kicks on Carmelo looked awesome and the lighting really has improve a lot.

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

Last edited by J_Posse; 08-06-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #58
MVP

noshun's Arena

OVR: 14

Wow, 1st day 3 copy purchase for me.. all my systems will have this game. Im liking everything theyve discussed thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dounte/MLBNFLNBALGS
I'd be the first to call myself a hypocrite.
Current Rotation: -/-
"Just know no matter who you are, the right system could turn a role player to a superstar." - Joe Budden
All Pro Football 2K8 Uniform Codes
Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #59
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

OVR: 2

CRAZY!!!

The Lebron pic looks very nice & detailed.I can see the new players models on that pic.Nice VII's btw Melo

Only thing defensively I want to hear about is contact when players cut.

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!

Last edited by 49UNCFan; 08-06-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #60
Pro

OVR: 8

I really enjoyed the developer insight but some things missing (perhaps they will be discussed in a future insight):

-Lead passing. I want to know if this is more realistic. I know Rob Jones said this:

Quote:
We wanted to differentiate good passers from bad ones both from a User standpoint and from a ratings standpoint.
-I'm not sure but is this the animation I've been talking about(Da_Czar called me out)? Off-ball defenders 'putting a hand on their man' animation.

Quote:
For offball (and onball) defenders, they will now cut under the traffic when chasing after their man out in the perimeter. This way, they do not get tangled and get beat especially if their man is making a cut to the basket. It was pretty frustrating last year when AI defenders put themselves in a bad situation because of a poor pursuit angle and decision making. This is much better now with NBA 2K11.
-More types of fouls and violations. With all these new defensive animations, there should also be illegal screens/pushing/holding/hand-check/tripping/double fouls/offball fouls. Also offensive fouls when the offensive player would clear the defender with their off arm. Would make the game more physical and more team fouls which is realistic.

I'd also like to see carry/palming/double dribble violations being added when users try to do too many crossovers at once.

-After 12 years of 2K basketball, the referees still don't have whistles!! I always find it awkard when I hear a whistle and yet it is nowhere to be seen. This is evident in the LeBron pic. Perhaps that is a 2K10 pic or an early build.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #61
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Thats YOU not the rest of us

This Insight is about the AI so all of the online talk doesnt belong in here, so lets not clog this thread up with online talk

...and most of all the AI should be the most important aspect of making the game #1 point blank, and Thank Goodness 2k decided to highlight that by talking about the AI this soon and as one of their first blogs

I agree. Although im a homer for audio and presentation type things, every insight so far has amped me up even more for this game. I guess i pretty much know what to expect in the audio/presentation area so these things are fresh concepts that I didn't even think about.

I feel lucky that the dudes working on this game are the dudes working on this game, I dont know them but im like thankful man, I never felt that way before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #62
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

I think 2k is also giving back to us.From dominating in sales last year,they now have more money to outsource,expand,and upgrade.If everything goes as planned I believe we're waiting on a masterpiece.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #63
MVP

XenoZograscope's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NBA 2K11 Developer Insight "Making a Smarter Game"

Im definitely loving what I read...especially the new specs on defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD OF LIFE
idc what you think man, only god can jude me.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #64
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderGH
I agree. Although im a homer for audio and presentation type things, every insight so far has amped me up even more for this game. I guess i pretty much know what to expect in the audio/presentation area so these things are fresh concepts that I didn't even think about.

I feel lucky that the dudes working on this game are the dudes working on this game, I dont know them but im like thankful man, I never felt that way before.
I'm hoping they nail atmosphere like Live 10 did last year and expand on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »