Home

Question about steals

This is a discussion on Question about steals within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 33
Re: Question about steals

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschicago
Well I started to wonder after looking at the team stats after a 48 min game. 2K would show a total of 6-8 fastbreak points when I know that I had at least 12-14.

Again, I need confirmation from others if this is true or not.
I have had that feeling too ... of doing more FB points than what it is shown.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2424
This might have been already answered but does anyone know if 2k fixed their steal system in regards to who is awarded with the steal? It's always been the player who picks it up instead of the player who causes the deflection. It's not the end of the world but I always found it frustrating when it wasn't ruled correctly. Thanks
Steals are attributed to the player that gains control following a lost possession from the opposing the team, who is not necessarily, the person who caused the deflection.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

i hated how in 2k when someone deflects a pass they dont begin to streak towards the hoop, they jus stand there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzYFXb8_fTU

we need this
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
Rookie

jr2424's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
Steals are attributed to the player that gains control following a lost possession from the opposing the team, who is not necessarily, the person who caused the deflection.
But is that how it's supposed to be scored? I always thought the player who causes the steal gets credit in real life. Not the player who picks up the ball.

Ken Griffey Jr.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2424
But is that how it's supposed to be scored? I always thought the player who causes the steal gets credit in real life. Not the player who picks up the ball.
No, it's not. Whoever recovers it gets the steal.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

I remember we had a discussion here on OS about this exact topic of who gets the steal recorded in the box score.

Usually it depends on who's recording it, but as far as I remember some members had concluded, after a long review, that it was the person who caused the steal who got the credit. I'll try to find the thread here and post a link for you guys.

Edit: check VDusen04's post down below!

Last edited by strekedesire; 08-29-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
Double Edit: Here's the link to our first discussion with a lot of references on the topic. I know a lot of us are hardwired to feel it's a foregone conclusion a steal is credited to the player who ultimately gains possession but if a scorekeeper is doing his job correctly, that would not be the case: http://www.operationsports.com/vBull...als-going.html

I'm going to go ahead and try to search for the thread (I'm horrible at searching for things) but we had a long discussion about this a few months ago. That thread had a lot of sources (FIBA, NCAA, certain high school associations, NBA) stating that a steal indeed is to be credited to the player who initiates the steal.

On that same wavelength, a player who is able to tip a missed shot to his teammate is the one who is credited with that rebound, not the player who ends up with the ball. An example, in a play where Rodney Stuckey shoots and misses a three pointer and Ben Wallace is able to tip it back out to the top of the key to Charlie Villanueva to retain possession, Ben would be the one to be credited with the offensive rebound, not Charlie.

The contention regarding the steals was, "Well, what if a ball is deflected by a defender but the offense retains possession? Does it go in the books as nothing?" In regards to the steals stat, yes, it'd count as nothing. In the case of advanced statistics, it may count as a deflection.

In summary, through my years of basketballing, I always operated under the presumption that steals were indeed credited to the initiater and it is backed by official rule books on various levels. Now, I will go ahead and search for the thread we went back and forth on a couple months ago so I can show some evidence.

Edit: Ha, StrekeDesire beat me to it.

Last edited by VDusen04; 08-29-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

Per Fiba: "A steal is credited to a defensive player when his positive aggressive action causes a turnover by the opponent. No steal is credited if the ball becomes dead and the defensive team is awarded possession of the ball out of bounds. A defensive player can achieve a steal in a number of ways:
• Taking the ball away from an opponent holding or dribbling the ball.
• Intercepting an opponent's pass.
• Tapping the ball away from an offensive player in control of the ball or deflecting
an opponent's pass either:
- Directly to a teammate.
- Such that the ball is loose and a teammate retrieves the ball.
- Such that the ball is loose and a teammate and an opponent grab the ball
simultaneously, a held ball results and the defensive team is awarded the ball
according to the alternating possession rule. (Obviously this cannot happen
when the alternating possession is awarded at the start of a period of play)."
http://homepages.tesco.net/~Roger.Ya...ats-manual.pdf

Per NCAA: A steal is credited to a defensive player when his positive aggressive action(s), which includes contact with the ball, causes a turnover by the opponent. This may be accomplished by:
(a) Taking the ball away from an opponent in control of the
ball.
(b) Getting a hand on the ball in control of an opponent and
causing a held ball to be called, and having his or her
team be awarded the ball for a throw-in.
(c) Batting a ball in control of an opponent to a teammate.
(d) Batting a ball in control of an opponent away from and
off the opponent and out of bounds.
(e) Intercepting an opponent’s pass.
(f ) Deflecting an opponent’s pass to a teammate.
(g) Deflecting an opponent’s pass away from and off an opponent
and out of bounds.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...sy%20print.pdf

Per Wikipedia: "In basketball, a steal occurs when a defensive player legally gains control of the ball from an offensive player. This can be done by deflecting and controlling, catching, or batting (to a teammate) a pass or [dribble] of an offensive player."

So we never found the NBA specifics (again, I'm horrible at searching for things on the web) but each basketball rule book and definition we could find supported the fact that steals are indeed awarded to the player creating the turnover.

Last edited by VDusen04; 08-29-2010 at 10:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »