Home

the ratings are still one of the game’s biggest flaws. I offer a solution

This is a discussion on the ratings are still one of the game’s biggest flaws. I offer a solution within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #33
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: the ratings are still one of the game’s biggest flaws. I offer a solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbs
The overall rating is a problem.

I agree with changing it to letter grades or tiers. The numerical ratings are meaningless. I don't want people bumping up individual attributes or deflating certain attributes for guys just so that they are sound "overall" relative to other players. The overall rating is meaningless. I also think its funny that guys like Rashidi see the overall ratings and propose new "overalls" without even knowing what individual ratings in each category is.
Thats one thing I really dislike about Rashidi overall. He loves to sit there and talk about Overall ratings. Like it is the most important part about a player.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 3

I know one thing about EA/Madden is you can edit ratings as well. Not that it is a super big deal, but when you edit the player ratings and you select online it wont let you play if you have altered player ratings. Does anyone know if 2k is the same way?
Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 13

The ratings in 2k are going to remain a problem until they fork up the money to outsource it. Members in the community who are true fans, know the game and actually care about the ratings for every player will always do a much better job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnomega
I know one thing about EA/Madden is you can edit ratings as well. Not that it is a super big deal, but when you edit the player ratings and you select online it wont let you play if you have altered player ratings. Does anyone know if 2k is the same way?
I'm not familiar with Madden's online system, but 2k is not the same as what you described. You can edit rosters to your heart's delight offline and it has no effect on the online rosters. The rosters are stored on 2k's servers. Before you go online the game automatically loads their updated standardized rosters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Thats one thing I really dislike about Rashidi overall. He loves to sit there and talk about Overall ratings. Like it is the most important part about a player.
Where did you get that idea from? He might talk about overall just like I do because it's easiest to discuss, but Rashidi and I have gotten into a ton of debates over specific ratings.

We all know overall ratings aren't going anywhere because it's what people look for and no matter who does the ratings there will always be arguments.

Last edited by oOausarOo; 09-27-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #36
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

oO... Sometimes he gets a little out of hand with the Overall ratings of players and teams.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #37
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
Thats good. I would never want a middle ground. I want people to challenge everything. Go further than me.

To edit in what I'm getting at.

I know I'm about to butcher an old saying. We should not let perfection be the enemy of progress. Even if we found a better way and the Insider had a team of scouts and things were a lot better, and reviews were marveling at the accuracy of the ratings we should still challenge the system.
In other words: No matter how good something is, even if it's the best thing in the universe, people will NEVER, EVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVER(shout out to Y2J)will be completely satisfied with a 2K Game again.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #38
MVP

RedmanR's Arena

OVR: 11

A very good post and ratings analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman

CoSign

Also, ratings are still to high and over inflated, I wanna see strengths and weaknesses stand out like a lip sore...
I'd like to see some strengths and weaknesses as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom1990
Not to get this off-topic, but Dante Cunnigham mid range game was money his senior year. Anything out to the elbows he pretty much knocked down.
Dante's mid range game was a joy to witness his senior year at Nova. He was one of the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOausarOo
The ratings in 2k are going to remain a problem until they fork up the money to outsource it. Members in the community who are true fans, know the game and actually care about the ratings for every player will always do a much better job.

I do agree 100% that the 2K ratings are going to remain an online problem, but not to the point that they discourage me from participate in online play because I can careless of my opponents exploits. I'm only worried about my... enjoyment level at this point as I can turn an exploiter off and return to the lobby where there are many other members waiting patiently for a decent game of basketball.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #39
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts18
KVork,

Nice discussion.

But I have a point to make. I don't think it is really accurate to always use the speed and quickness drills at the draft combine to determine athletic ratings on the game. Why do you ask? Some players don't test well in these drills. I read an article on DraftExpress about this and I think you should take it into consideration.

Tell me what you think

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...-Results-2096/
Its no secret that the combine is mainly for measurements. Wingspan and Standing Reach are linked to overachieving. If you have a shorter wingspan your margin for error is shorter. You have to be more consistent with fundamentals and skill. Guys like Iverson (who has long arms and narrow shoulders), Jared Dudley, OJ Mayo, and Monta Ellis have pedestrian wingspans but they have a lot to make up for it. Even before the playoffs when Brandon Roy was healthy Dudley’s defense gave him more trouble than anyone that I have seen him matched up against. It was know how more than anything.

The rest of the combine has to be taken in context and scale. It rarely trumps production. In how it applies to the ratings I would say you can take vertical and the ¾ with perspective to how old a player was at the time. Ellis was not the same Ellis. Until 2k's hoops calculates wingspan and standing reach guys like Durant should get a boost in vert. Otherwise it’s a good indication as to how fast someone is when simply running straight and how high they jump. So it’s a good guide for the speed rating and vert. The agility drill could work as a marginal influence on the quickness rating. Obviously the agility drill doesn’t gauge changing directions while playing basketball nearly as well as the ¾ sprint gauges sprinting. The bench press can have a marginal influence on strength. Lower body is more important. I would be more interested in how much a player squats.

Another thing I noticed with the speed rating is that the speeds actually seem to be based on the 3/4 sprint until you get to the slowest of the slow and then it falls off. Guys that deserve a slow rating in the high 30s or lower are just too slow. I could not picture Robin Lopez who deserves a low speed rating of mid 40s or lower doing this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASbNlC2_JeA in 2k10.

Last edited by Kaanyr Vhok; 09-27-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:48 AM   #40
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
In other words: No matter how good something is, even if it's the best thing in the universe, people will NEVER, EVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVER(shout out to Y2J)will be completely satisfied with a 2K Game again.

Even when every NBA player has a nanochip injected in their brain that reads and monitors every thought and movement of the player then transmits data directly to a quantum computer to develop the data into 500 ratings before updating them on the companies server which then sends them to your console or PC people will complain that it took too long.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »