Home

NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Part Two)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Part Two) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Previews keep talking about the same thing over and over and I don't care for online, or my player much, I just care about playing association with the legends
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #26
MVP

Eman5805's Arena

OVR: 15
Logos can go anywhere on the headband? Oh me, oh my!

Just take my money already, 2K. This $60 is burning a hole in my pocket!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #27
Rookie

Re: NBA 2K12 Hands-On Preview (Part Two)

glad to hear u can now lob ball to post over a fronting defender
Old 09-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #28
MVP

fatleg3's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
I try my best to figure out the new finger Olympic controls. It’s not going too well, in fact you could say I sucked at it. Fortunately, there is a new training camp mode this year, where you can practice all the moves.
What does he mean by Olympic controls?

Quote:
A nice animation shows a player pushing the ball forward and taking a few running steps before dribbling again. (See Rondo in the Momentous trailer).

You have to be careful when attempting this in traffic though, as it leads to a turnover. I tried to split a double team and the AI wouldn’t have any of it.
So you can manually make your player do this? If so, then thats a big thumbs up

Quote:
Lobbing a pass over a defender, who is fronting in the post, is possible this year. While it’s not an easy pass to make, it can be done. I didn’t have any luck with it, but Rob Jones stated it is successful based on the ratings of the passer, the teammate you are passing to, how far away the player is from the basket and how much space the offensive player can make, before the ball comes in over the top. Players will throw higher lob passes down court instead of bullet passes that are easily picked off. If you recall last year, after a pump fake pass, there was a delay in being able to pass to another teammate, the other way. There is no delay at all this year.
He said there is not manual bounce pass, but what about lob pass. Can we choose to do this? And im glad 2k added this when passing in the post. In 2k11 if your guy was being fronted in the post then it would be an automatic steal if you tried to pass it to him. Hope we can even throw an ally opp if he is being fronted.

Quote:
Drawing a foul using a pump fake was toned down and there are no loose ball fouls. Off the ball fouls, illegal screens and over the back fouls are still in the game. I did see some occasional sliding, but collisions are done so well you don’t see much of it.
Nobody has said anything about charges. Last yr charges in the paint was non existent. They only occurred when a player was running full speed down the court and you got in front of him.

Quote:
New this year, during timeouts, you can choose the player you want to inbound the ball, the shooter and the play type (quick 2, 3 pointer, alley-oop, post or best ft shooter). There are also quick strategies for offense and defense. On offense you can space the floor to get that 1 on 1, screen for shooters, leak out on the break or crash the offensive boards. On the defensive side of the ball, there are different ways to put pressure on the shooters, double down in the post, focus on star players or force constant pressure on given situations.
These will be great only if it dont take your team 4.5 seconds to run the play. in 2k11 if you called an inbound play you teammates would stand around for 3 seconds then take their time going through the play.

Quote:
On the downside, the crowd seems to be lost at times. I noticed on a few occasions, I’d hit a big 3 or just a big shot in general and the crowd didn’t react like you would think they would. Even “And 1” calls didn’t cause much of a stir from the fans.
This is a let down. They talked about improved crowds but the only thing that seemed to be improved is the crowd wearing the same color in the playoffs. The crowd sounds and movements should have been the first priority when working with the crowd

Quote:
Other times, while playing in the post, I was abused with pump fakes, up and unders, spins and a plethora of other moves. It’s great to see so many new moves being utilized by the AI.
In 2k11 there was a problem with players like ronny turiaf doing up and unders, spins and other moves they would never do irl. Hope that is fixed.

Quote:
, but they did add standing alley-oops
There is not stopping d12

SORRY FOR THIS BEING SO LONG LOL
Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #29
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20
Awesome stuff. Presentation sounds incredible once again.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #30
Rookie

Only thing I noticed was where it says no self alley-oops yet during the time OS was down playing 2K12 @DustinToms_OS said on Twitter he saw Rob Jones do it.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #31
MVP

Eman5805's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatleg3
What does he mean by Olympic controls?
No. Finger Olympic...controls.

As in if there were an Olympics for fingers, then you'll have to be good enough to compete in them to master the new post controls.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #32
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehippo24
Only thing I noticed was where it says no self alley-oops yet during the time OS was down playing 2K12 @DustinToms_OS said on Twitter he saw Rob Jones do it.
He came back on right after and said he was mistaken or misunderstood the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »