Home

NBA 2K13 Hands-On Preview From Gamescom (JerzeyReign)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13 Hands-On Preview From Gamescom (JerzeyReign) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #33
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: NBA 2K13 Hands-On Preview From Gamescom (JerzeyReign)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
Great great great preview jerzy. I've seen some footage or a player going up for a layup or dunk, and it looked like the shot blocker and shooter just glazed each other, when the defender went right up to him. It's hard to describe and I forgot which video it was titled.

Did you see things like that example I gave?
I'm one of those DIY type players so I didn't see it often enough to consider it a problem. I did see it once though. I was playing Wade too close up top and he turned the corner. As I started to yell 'Step up!' to my computer teammate (like they can hear me, right?) Wade went into a full windmill slam. Honestly, I had more issue with Wade performing a windmill in that situation than the defender avoiding being posterized. In that situation it seems more realistic that Wade would have 'cocked back' with one hand with a threat of shot blocker in the area just in case he jumped. I wouldn't get disappointed yet though since I was playing on a difficulty meant to 'wow' people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
JerzeyReign were you shooting with X button or did you go full control stick? If you went full control stick how did you like it?

How would you say they improved speed between the fast or slow players?

Did you feel the effect of the sig skills at all?

How did the "live" ball feel this year? I know DaWolf said it was more loose any examples?
I've always been a 'right stick' shooter so the adjustment wasn't that difficult for me. I didn't dive into the shot stick because I'm not used to Broadcast. I really wanted to try floaters out to ensure they work. Something I forgot to mention in my impression -- floaters seem to work better this year as I witnessed a couple of them take flight in front of the shot blocker's face. I was never in a situation use them but it seems as if the release has been set to be a little faster making them effective. No more 'tooth fairy' gathers/takeoffs -- the speed of them will probably improve their effectiveness against big men.

The difference in speed between players in the halfcourt is very noticeable. I don't fastbreak often (only after steals or blocks ) and the guys that were doing it weren't really good at the game so it was hard to tell since they weren't running it realistically. I had two fastbreaks that I can remember and they were a 2 on 1 with Westbrook and Durant (ended in a Durant oop) and a 3 on 1 break with James, Chalmers, and Cole that ended with Cole not popping and eventually messing up an alley oop to James. I really don't recall if we outran them for numbers or what but then again I don't remember too many 3 on 1 breaks in NBA 2k12. Could of been an anomaly but I really hope they are realistically possible.

I honestly forgot about that signature skills -- I just used guys the way they play in real life and was having success against other users. I don't even remember seeing any icons or anything. This may be a question for Vann.

The ball felt the same to me. For example, Westbrook was just standing there dribbling with his left hand. I swiped at it and looked like I made pretty good contact with it. Instead of the ball being knocked away his dribble continued undisturbed. It was kind of annoying since I had 'cookies' so I had the same feeling as last year. I did see some protect the ball animations after it looked like the ball was slightly knocked away. As far as a 'live ball' in any other area -- I didn't see it. It seemed as though they toned it down as I didn't witness one ELBOW BLOCK! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBeach
As a South Florida resident, I noticed the same thing you did after watching a few videos. The fans down here aren't really wearing Miami Heat colors in regular season games. I did notice a bit too much of that burnt yellow/orange.

Do you remember anything about fast breaks at all? Was there any clear separation between offensive and defensive player relative to their speed attributes? Perkins catching up to Wade/LeBron chasing down Thabo?
I answered the fastbreak question above. And I'm glad that I was right about that orange, lol. In some instances I saw fans with a Heat jersey over an orange shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak_Baki_Hanma
Any word on fatigue?... is it still a non-factor? Will calling timeouts still allow you to play the same 5 energized players for the entire game?

Any word or the ability to save an online profile so we don't have to make a whole slew of adjustments before every game?

And, of course, any word on server improvements, if any?

Thanks.
The game auto-subbed so I couldn't really tell how much fatigue plays a part. I did see the Gatorade symbol on a couple of my opponent's players so their may be hope. Probably a question better suited for the Team Up guys since they can use longer quarters.

I just played a demo and I didn't see any 2k reps (besides the teens making sure we don't record) on site to ask. I do recall LD2k saying they will talk about this stuff in September so we probably have another week or two before we get an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmass413
Did you notice any off the ball fouls?
Not that I can recall. Their may have been but everything was in German so it was hard to distinguish where the foul happened unless it happened on the shot. I didn't see anything that looked like an off ball foul.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #34
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Great impressions Jerzey, I am looking forward to this game more this year than I think I ever have, so I am extremely excited. I have one question for you. Do the CPU teams/players seem to play more like their real selves this year? I am not a huge head-to-head guy (but that may change this year) and last year guys like Andrew Bynum wouldn't shoot enough, or when he did shoot he would take too many jumpshots instead of working down in the post. I tried adjusting player ratings, sliders, new roster sets, etc... but I just couldn't get the players to play how they should. One team that seemed really off was the Dallas Mavericks. Jason Terry and Vince Carter would shoot like 100 shots a game while Dirk did nothing at all. Terry I could understand somewhat, but Vince Carter? I really hope that they tuned and adjusted the ratings so that the right players are taking the bulk of the shots for each team (and in the right spots as well), because that has been my biggest beef with NBA 2K the past few years.

Thanks again for the impressions sir!

Last edited by Illustrator76; 08-17-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #35
Rookie

silverskier's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07
to initiate post position is it still Y on xbox?[the reason i asked i have no arms and play the game with my feet...it made it so much easier for me]
Beluba said that Y is the button on his twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #36
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Thanks for the detailed preview.

I would like to hear about the post game. I'd like to hear about calling for picks, but I believe once again that has been disabled in the demo.
I can't lie -- I was confused when it came to the post. I'm so used to L2/LT being my fake that I really struggled down there. I can't honestly give an opinion on that. I need to hop in the virtual gym on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelito Kache305
Question!!! From the videos I have seem, it looks like the passing game havent change much... The issue its still there for wat I seem, the only difference is the bounce pass... Do they still have that ugly over the head pass?? Tha rarely happends in the real nba??
Thank you it was a gread read but I still think the passing needs way more improvement than a bounce pass.....
Agree but the speed the pass gets there will help tremendously for the time being and the manual bounce pass is truly a hidden jewel IMO. I'll take what they've done this year over those soft lobs any day of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domidomdomz
Thanks for the preview.

Like what others have raised, have you tried the new post-up controls? How was it? How about the too much up-and-unders of mediocre players, is it still there?

And last one, how was the hop-step button? Could it be a source of cheesing again like NBA 2K11?
Answered the post question above. When I played against the CPU I was always Miami. While playing against OKC they didn't really throw the ball inside often -- it was mainly Westbrook and Durant putting up shots. I didn't see any up and unders. As for the hop step button, I didn't see many users use it and I didn't use it myself. Unsure if it will be cheesy -- really wouldn't matter -- cheesy players will find some way to cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07
to initiate post position is it still Y on xbox?[the reason i asked i have no arms and play the game with my feet...it made it so much easier for me]
Yes, the post is Y/Triangle this year.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #37
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelito Kache305
Question!!! From the videos I have seem, it looks like the passing game havent change much... The issue its still there for wat I seem, the only difference is the bounce pass... Do they still have that ugly over the head pass?? Tha rarely happends in the real nba??
Thank you it was a gread read but I still think the passing needs way more improvement than a bounce pass.....

I'm wondering about the passing also, this is the second or third time I think someone has mentioned the passing doesn't seem changed from 2K12, but Ronnie mentioned on one the 2K videos that passing has been fixed and we shouldn't see the slow lofty passes any more.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 21
Thanks for the follow-up. Players "get" tired in the current versions but calling a timeout replenishes so much energy that even the centers with the lowest stamina ratings can play an entire game with more than 1/2 of a full energy bar. If this isn't adjusted, then it will be another year of "your best 5 vs mine" and that's just not a good look for sim ballers.

It literally kills the experience (for me).
Old 08-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #39
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Sounding great. Thanks JR!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #40
Rookie

Bulls321974's Arena

OVR: 6
Don't know. I got very mixed emotions after watching the footage and reading thru the preview. Might actually not be as good as 2K12 eventually...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »