Home

Basketball Fundamentalists: What do you expect from 2K13?

This is a discussion on Basketball Fundamentalists: What do you expect from 2K13? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Basketball Fundamentalists: What do you expect from 2K13?

I want to be able to crush an opponent from start to finish without feeling like the game is making me miss 10 out of 12 wide open shots while all of a sudden the other player is on fire in traffic with everyone. Why is this not a problem for most.

I can still win by just hanging in there because the game seems to remember that It virtually cheated me the whole 4th quarter and makes it right but keeps it close. Can we please have no cpu assistance to help the losing team come back?!? That alone is the most frustrating thing ever.

Remember NBA Jam and NFL Blitz where you could go down by 5 on purpose and hit shots from anywhere because the game wouldn't let it get out of control? There was actually a code you could put in before the tip to turn that off.SAD

At cheese, I'm trash. At basketball, I'm great!

NCAAMadnet
BadGuy
Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I expect a decent pick and roll. Effective and not overpowered, run with the same speed and decisiveness as in real life, and realistic defense to counter it.
Good point. I second this. With the inclusion of signature skills, I expect realistic situations to occur with the proper scenario as far as hedges, going over, under etc. I also hope they got the logic right to create mismatches on switches to really take advantage of slow footed defenders etc.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 0

I expect big men with a quick feet to not be slow as Andrew Bynum. Houston has two quick big men that can guard the pick and roll and they should be quick in the game also
Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #20
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segatti
The most important thing by far to me: I want the game to force me to play with more than one player. If a guy shoots 45% from the floor in 20 shots in real life I expect that I'll not be able to shot 45% with 30 shots (in regular basis of course). I want the cpu to deny the ball to my hot player and relentless double team him in order to stop the scoring. A smart idea would be a system that the players get tired much more fast if you keep shooting with him or if that player is playing defense against a superstar.

Talking about defense, for Christ sake, if I am Lakers against Dallas, Shawn Marion has to guard Kobe and not World Peace just because he is a SF. This is just stupid. The Cpu has to put their best defense against my best offense.
Yes, I was just about to post that, I want the cpu to make adjustments. Put their best defender on the hot player or the biggest threat. Use double teams when a player is in the corner or near the sidelines, of course offensively I want them to run the offense through the PG if the PG is their best player, also I want them to actually read pnr situations, you could basically go over the screen a head of time, and the cpu would not recognize it. I had to stop doing that, because it was cheesy, but I want the cpu to reject that screen, and make me pay for going over or under a head of the screen.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #21
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

I expect 2k to implement more of a strategy aspect of basketball for all modes. In some of the previews they talk about how the teammate AI is better in myplayer, example they can play off of you better but this has to apply in all modes with some realism with the CPU. Like others have said it is not just about double teams it is about matchups, the CPU needs to adjust their matchups to place their best defender on the user team best player. The CPU should recognize missmatches and have the abilty to alter their gameplan/ tendency on the fly if they have clear missmatches. I think this should be on the higher levels the CPU should alter their gameplan realistically which should make me switch up things on my end. I know we got the double teams this year but that is not the only strategy

Last edited by stillfeelme; 09-12-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #22
Pro

To me the most important thing regarding fundamentals is to balance properly the risk/benefit of everything.

For instance, some people complained about the “deny ball” to be the same as “play tight” in 2k12, the problem with “deny ball” in other iterations was that it was a clear exploit because the risk-benefit was not balanced, I mean you could not take advantage of it with back doors and that kind of stuff as you will do in real life, also the opponent was not penalized with too many off the ball defensive calls as it would happen in the real NBA if you put the on ball pressure too high and gamble a lot… In fact I remember that was the defensive setup of many cheesers (to deny ball to every player in the court along with the maximum on ball pressure) and it got a game almost unplayable in a realistic basis…

Hopefully 2k13 will be much better balanced (and in a realistic way) regarding coaching sliders and defensive settings.

Cheers! ;-)
Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

A little thing that I hated in 2k12 was the stripping the ball animation on jump shots. Your jump shooting animation was intentionally delayed for a split second in order to allow the defender to catch up for the animation to occur. The whole thing was a pre-determined animation, similiar to the contact dunks. I'm hoping the action isn't as predetermined and the cpu AI doesn't pull it off as often.

A big thing is the pass logic. The manual bounce pass is great, but it won't be required in every situation. If I'm in the paint and I want to pass it over the d's heads, I don't want to do some low lazy flip pass that goes off a defender's back. Also, the handoffs need to be improved a lot. The simplest pass in basketball would get bobbled too often in 2k12, even on the perimeter without much defensive pressure.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

Spacing improvements (i can't realistically expect A.I. teammates to immediately scatter if i dribble in their direction, but move, do something damn it!)

Fewer magical offensive rebounds for the CPU (i.e. 1 cpu player out rebounds 3 of yours, or CP3 grabs a board over Pau Gasol)

Realistic CPU offense (if a shooter's open for the love of God shoot it, and no more miracle turn-around fadeaways by some big with a garbage mid-range rating)

Realistic user offense (if i execute a dribble move correctly, Tony Parker should easily blow by Dirk, Bynum, etc.)

And most importantly, i expect the ball handler to actually pass the ball when i push the corresponding button (icon or directional), not three seconds later

There's more i'm hoping for (but can't realistically expect) from 2k13, but all i'm really asking for is a realistic challenge. If i play the CPU on Hall of Fame, they shouldn't do magical crap to keep the game competitive, they should just up their intensity and play smarter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »