Home

What happened to Kareem, Dr. J., and C-Webb?

This is a discussion on What happened to Kareem, Dr. J., and C-Webb? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #65
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: What happened to Kareem, Dr. J., and C-Webb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I can't speak for the other players, but it seemed Barkley's comment was made in the vein of, "I don't need the 10K, but a lot of my former teammates and coworkers do." Like I said, I'm not exactly sure I understood what Barkley was trying to negotiate with 2K, but I think he was originally trying to set something up where he'd command a larger pay that'd then be given to other players in need (or something like that).

Apparently a lot of former NBA players from the years where they all weren't automatic millionaires (say, 1990 and earlier) don't have the greatest pensions from the NBA. I think that was Barkley's stance. I think his comment was saying he didn't care about his own money because he was rich. He was more concerned with those who he felt were improperly compensated after their years of service were completed.

I think some players undoubtedly refuse to sign to have their likeness used by 2K because they just want more money. But I do not believe we can assume that is the case with everyone. The NBA is a source of entertainment for us, but it's a current or former business/boss to each player. Like Barkley, I bet there's other players who refuse to sign simply out of principle - they may no longer want to be associated with the league for any number of reasons. Similarly, I think there's a lot of people in the real world who are compensated by their jobs (sometimes very well) yet still hold a grudge or take a stance against something that job does or does not do.

For some, I just don't think it's always as simple as saying, "C'mon, the NBA paid you awesomely for 10 years, the least you can do is sign on to be in a video game." It appears most players don't have a problem agreeing to such terms but maybe to others, they're tired of being used, even if they get a cut. Or maybe they're wanted from so many corners they just had to plug the floodgates somewhere. And yes, some are probably just greedy. I just don't think we can paint everyone who doesn't agree to join with a broad brush.
If i was in their situation - I'd do it for free. Professional sports players complaining about pensions and payments is just absolutely ridiculous, they earn more than most people could dream of, even in retirement. What possible issue could they have about appearing in video games? People like Pippen, as much as I love him as a player, he's always had a chip on his shoulder, probably silently seething about being in the shadow of Jordan for his whole career - all that rubbish about his attributes should be better blah blah - seriously Pip? It's just a damn game. Put your ego to one side and just roll with it. Wouldn't matter if you were ranked 99 in everything, wouldn't change how the general public used you in the game. (Probably still be running in circles and turbo sprinting as they do with every other damn player)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #66

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
If i was in their situation - I'd do it for free. Professional sports players complaining about pensions and payments is just absolutely ridiculous, they earn more than most people could dream of, even in retirement. What possible issue could they have about appearing in video games? People like Pippen, as much as I love him as a player, he's always had a chip on his shoulder, probably silently seething about being in the shadow of Jordan for his whole career - all that rubbish about his attributes should be better blah blah - seriously Pip? It's just a damn game. Put your ego to one side and just roll with it. Wouldn't matter if you were ranked 99 in everything, wouldn't change how the general public used you in the game. (Probably still be running in circles and turbo sprinting as they do with every other damn player)
So you're saying people shouldn't gave a right to their own image and shouldn't be able to make what they think they are worth?

You want them in the game. They aren't clamoring for you to play as virtual them.

Professional sports salaries (especially for non star players) up until relatively recently weren't all that high. Maybe they didn't manage their money well, maybe they don't want to be associated with the league or team anymore or maybe they just feel like someone using them to make money should be worth more to them. If I were famous and someone came up to me and said hey we want to use you to help sell a game that makes over a hundred million dollars for us, you bet yourself I want what I think is fair compensation.

It's the joys of capitalism. This sense of entitlement is silly.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #67
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
This is what I was talking about in another thread - '10k aint nothing to me'

These players and former players are so loaded with cash yet are so greedy they can't just sit back and think, 'I don't need the cash, I'll just let them use my likeness and give enjoyment to the masses'

Barkley's issues are with the NBA itself, not 2k. I just don't understand these guys. Just get over yourself and take the dollar signs out of your eyes. Most of you are all millionaires, why do you need top dollar from 2k just to include you in a video game?
But then you would someone else the right to make money of something you have made. If I come up with an idea and make money out of it, why should I give it to someone else so they can make money too, without having to do any work?

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 07-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #68
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
But then you would someone else the right to make money of something you have made. If I come up with an idea and make money out of it, why should I give it to someone else so they can make money too, without having to do any work?
I see your points, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »