Home

NBA 2K13 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13 Impressions Thread within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #401
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: NBA 2k13 Impressions Thread

I do seem to win time of possession each game though, which makes me think the CPU just shoots too quickly for 12 minute quarters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #402
Rookie

Anyway, through 3 games on All-star Sim, looking at my stat averages through the games:

My shooting percentages are high across the board.
Too many FGA (87.3 vs league average of about 81)
Around the right amount of 3PA (18.7 vs 18.3)
Too few FTA (15 vs 22.5)
My assists are about league average (22.3 vs 21)
Turnovers are too low (9.7 vs league average last year of around 14.5)
Fouls are too low (13 versus league average of 19.6).
Total rebounds are a tad high, but in the right area (45.3 vs 42.2)
Offensive Rebounds are low however, (9.3 versus league average of ~13 last year)
Steals and blocks are low
Points in the paint are high

So, small sample size, but more foul, more turnovers, especially in the paint, more steals and more blocks, and the CPU going a little slower would probably get the stats in line with reality.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #403
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenglund
This is how I feel. Not really sure why they changed L2 to be a shot modifier. I'd rather have the shot stick be unmodified for those quick layups underneath. Couldn't they have just made the skill moves more responsive and use L2? Curious design choice.

I played a couple of games last night...Kings vs. Suns, then Supersonics vs. 72 Lakers. First game was pretty ugly as it should've been. 2nd game was much better, with better players making great plays.

I think I will be trying to use the shot button. After I played, I looked at the manual, and it looks like most of shots I need are there.

It is just years of using the shot stick that I'll need to forget.

Other quick impressions:
--Went from 360 for 2k12 to the PS3 this year, and the graphics are noticeably worse.
--There is still an excessive amount of overhead passes. Only middle schoolers use overhead passes a lot.
--As everybody says, they just need to patch the blocking out like they did before.
--Jay Z presentation is ridiculously garish. Pretty tacky.
--The signing up/logging in when you first put the game in is a terrible design choice. Oh, the future of games...online all the time, must sign up to even play the game...what a bummer

However, overall, the game on the court seems great and really refined. Hope it stands up to the long haul.
I completely agree with you on the signing up/logging in and the overall direction gaming is going. I'm strictly an offline player with no desire to play online; patches and roster updates are the only things I use online connections for...

Other than that, I am pleased with how smooth this game feels. You also need to play to you teams strengths and utilize your players abilities/skills. The control stick feels natural as does shooting with the X button. Kinda reminds me of the fluidity of Live 10

The presentation fits and meshes well..maybe since NBA and Hip Hop have been quite related since the early 90s..
As long as the music/presentation isnt Drake influenced...
Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #404
Rookie

Actually, the CPU might be at the right tempo, I just might be kind of slow and an increase in turnovers are fouls would probably bring the FGA in line.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #405
Rookie

OVR: 0

I have a quick question. Im not having a problem getting my offense going off of the break but in the half court im having a few problems. Any ideas as to how to run plays? I never really understood how to run it efficiently in 2k12. I would love to free up a few players on my sixers like Young, Holiday and etc. Instead of having to try and break down my defender every half court possession.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #406
Rookie

What level are u playing on

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #407
Pro

exposedaking's Arena

Its a shame the game doesn't look as good as it plays

the art team needs to work as hard as the gameplay team

I absolutely love the game and will play til 2k14

im not looking for 100% accuracy but its killing the immersion

Too many player faces went untouched. im a big lakers fan and its sucks to see so many guys look off.

Guys like mario chalmers and matt barnes has had the same face forever along with many others lol

Its so bittersweet to see one of those awesome sprite slam cam replays and players looking so generic, killing immersion

Colors, home/away accessories needs major work
Amazing shoe game this year!

Awesome gameplay for sure its been said and it comes 1st. im just ready for the art/graphics to take the same leap

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by exposedaking; 10-03-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #408
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpinke
I completely agree. I find it very difficult this year to make the L2 and double tap of the shot stick work consistently for shots off the dribble. Often times i end up either launching a shot I didn't want, or doing a convoluted pump fake. At first it felt like cheating because it was easier, but now Im going to use the hop step gather button followed by the shot button for my off the dribble jumpers. It just feels more natural to me, and i know exactly what Im going to get. I just had to get my ego and my love for the shot stick out of my mind. Felt like I was cheating by going back to the hop button. But the level of control is so much better and consistent. Hit a buzzer beater with pierce last night off of a hop and shoot. I feel like with the shot stick double tap, I might not even have gotten that shot off.

Now im using the control stick for dribble moves, then once i decide what shot I want, I find myself naturally using the shot button for jumpers.
Yeah, the shot button really is the way to go i think. I don't find myself missing the shot stick really. like you said, with the shot button you get more consistent results on certain shots, and you get more responsiveness since you don't have to remember to hit L2.

the hop step button combined with the shot button gives you some nice results on moving jumpers, etc.

the one thing i miss from the shot stick is floater control...floaters are harder to do with the shot button, but i'm willing to give up that one shot...i rarely attempt floaters anyway.

Last edited by blues rocker; 10-03-2012 at 11:54 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »