Home

Defense Help & Strategies?

This is a discussion on Defense Help & Strategies? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Defense Help & Strategies?

So I like to play online a lot, and it's fun for the most part. However I hate when I run into two types of players, the Knicks users who cheese with Novak and Melo, and the Heat users who cheese with LeBron and Wade on the Drive.

I have fairly decent defense, but nothing amazing. I always tweak the Defensive adjustments before and throughout the game. I still for some reason have problems stopping those players. I can contain them for a bit, but in the end I still get scored on. I try to run 2-3 to stop LeBron, and for some reason there still ends up being a gaping hole in the paint where Jordan should be (I play with the Clippers). As far as Knicks go, I can beat them, but Novak and Melo somehow get open, even with Off Ball Pressure at Deny Ball. I try to run 1-3-1 and still fail.

Like I said, I can contain them for the most part, but there's just some games where I can't get a stop to save my life. Idk if I'm just running the zone wrong, or if my defense actually just sucks. I usually come out on top because of how good my shot selection on offense is, but it annoys me how close my games are because of some dumb things on defense. I'm asking if anyone has any tips for me on how to stop those two types of players (Drive and dunk, run around til someone is open for 3), or just any defense tips in general, I'd appreciate it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Defense Help & Strategies?

it's not your defense it's the game. I have tried everything to stop 3pt shooters it's impossible to keep up with them and defend them at the same time. The way you control your player on the defensive side in this game is terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCblast_23
So I like to play online a lot, and it's fun for the most part. However I hate when I run into two types of players, the Knicks users who cheese with Novak and Melo, and the Heat users who cheese with LeBron and Wade on the Drive.

I have fairly decent defense, but nothing amazing. I always tweak the Defensive adjustments before and throughout the game. I still for some reason have problems stopping those players. I can contain them for a bit, but in the end I still get scored on. I try to run 2-3 to stop LeBron, and for some reason there still ends up being a gaping hole in the paint where Jordan should be (I play with the Clippers). As far as Knicks go, I can beat them, but Novak and Melo somehow get open, even with Off Ball Pressure at Deny Ball. I try to run 1-3-1 and still fail.

Like I said, I can contain them for the most part, but there's just some games where I can't get a stop to save my life. Idk if I'm just running the zone wrong, or if my defense actually just sucks. I usually come out on top because of how good my shot selection on offense is, but it annoys me how close my games are because of some dumb things on defense. I'm asking if anyone has any tips for me on how to stop those two types of players (Drive and dunk, run around til someone is open for 3), or just any defense tips in general, I'd appreciate it.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursAreGood
it's not your defense it's the game. I have tried everything to stop 3pt shooters it's impossible to keep up with them and defend them at the same time. The way you control your player on the defensive side in this game is terrible.
I don't think it's even that. It's the AI for me. I guard the ball handler for the most part if it's someone like LeBron or Wade. I sag off, and Caron Butler does a good job of denying space. But if/when they eventually are able to get past (with less than 10 seconds left on the shot clock at that), the paint is wide open. Even with 2-3 Zone! Jordan/Griffin should be waiting, but instead, they're off running around after someone like Haslem. Idk what to do.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Rookie

you could try controlling your center or raising help defense in coach profiles.
Quote:
I don't think it's even that. It's the AI for me. I guard the ball handler for the most part if it's someone like LeBron or Wade. I sag off, and Caron Butler does a good job of denying space. But if/when they eventually are able to get past (with less than 10 seconds left on the shot clock at that), the paint is wide open. Even with 2-3 Zone! Jordan/Griffin should be waiting, but instead, they're off running around after someone like Haslem. Idk what to do.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursAreGood
you could try controlling your center or raising help defense in coach profiles.
I'll try that next time. It's just rather annoying when the paint is left wide open, when the goal of the 2-3 is to protext the paint Is it cause I set DeAndre and Blake to Deny Ball on their man? Or is it cause the zone is just broken for me? Haha.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
MVP

d11king's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
I'll try that next time. It's just rather annoying when the paint is left wide open, when the goal of the 2-3 is to protext the paint Is it cause I set DeAndre and Blake to Deny Ball on their man? Or is it cause the zone is just broken for me? Haha.
How bout running zone defense in College Hoops?

It's not hard to keep up with your man if you're playin great on-ball defense. I've actually had no problems on defense, in fact to me it's the best it's been.

I stopped playing online for that simple reason you said, quick ranked matches getting boring when people decide they want to run Syracuse defense in the NBA and control the center all game, when I play the same 4 teams online every game, blah blah blah.

JasonWilliams55 I believe his name is, posted a thread a few weeks ago about defense, I'll look for it and try and post it in here.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by d11king
How bout running zone defense in College Hoops?

It's not hard to keep up with your man if you're playin great on-ball defense. I've actually had no problems on defense, in fact to me it's the best it's been.

I stopped playing online for that simple reason you said, quick ranked matches getting boring when people decide they want to run Syracuse defense in the NBA and control the center all game, when I play the same 4 teams online every game, blah blah blah.

JasonWilliams55 I believe his name is, posted a thread a few weeks ago about defense, I'll look for it and try and post it in here.
I understand what you're saying. I can keep up with the players manually, it's my AI teammates that can't. When I guard LeBron one v one with Caron, it's usually pretty good, except some plays he blows past me when I'm supposed to have DeAndre or Blake ready to move in front of the basket to alter the shot. Not a uncontested dunk.

As far as teams who spam the 3, I'm good at guarding that as well, except there's instances where someone manages to have Novak/Melo (Whichever one they have at the 4), manages to get open and Blake is still around the mid-range area. It's frustrating when I don't give up the 3, my teammates do.

Maybe I just need some suggestions on how the Coaching Sliders work or how to switch players fast enough. Those are my 2 main problems on defense. One on one though, I'm usually pretty good.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Let them take the open 3....you have a better chance of them missing that than a contested 3.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »