Home

Coach2K's Hall of Fame Challenge

This is a discussion on Coach2K's Hall of Fame Challenge within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #81
Rookie

sreckless's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Coach2K's Hall of Fame Challenge

I'm going out of order here but the Raptors are playing the Celtics IRL today so I played them in a quick match.

I had a one-point lead with 18 seconds left and forced Kyle Lowry to take a bad shot from the corner, which he missed, but Aaron Gray got the rebound and threw it in. My fault because I user-controlled KG off Gray to trap Lowry. Pierce had a shot at the buzzer but missed. Offensive rebounding was the main difference in the game.

But I thought it was worth posting because again I held the CPU under 50 percent shooting and I also got 6 blocks. Pretty good I thought considering Boston is not a shot-blocking team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #82
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Great finish to that one sreckless.

The blocks are there. I had 5 against the Magic. More shot blockers though.

I've played sreckless many times and know that he plays straight up. A good example of what you can do on hall of fame mode against the CPU by keeping it simple.

Good game CPU though! You'll get them next time I have no doubt.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #83
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
I'm going to have to say this is exactly why you should play hall of fame mode. Because it does force you to improve your decision making.
I agree - the ai has the basics built in; mastering the basics is the foundation needed to be a great player online or offline.

Quote:
... The problem is in people's defense and their offensive decision making. ...
The one inescapable fact about this series is that it is a game that has a wide audience. Due to this, the ai is going to be weighed towards the offense. Most OS community members favor the sim aspects of the game, but the sad fact is that most gamers would be upset if they were not able to "be like Mike" every single possession.

Defense is something I really work hard at, but at best it is an unappreciated aspect in this game and a player does not need to focus on it in order to succeed... unless you play at the HoF level (or at least SS).

Playing MyCareer, you can see how unbalanced offense is valued over defense by the "team score" grading system. Things like forcing a pick-up, or a defensive rebound is graded at half value of offensive accomplishments such as good ball movement or good pass.

Quote:
... I'm not sure what kind of evidence it is going to take to move people from I can't, or it's not realistic or I can't get a pretty box score...
This is a red herring anyways. Just accept that the default rosters and default settings encourage offense and high scoring. Once you accept this and realize that your 2k universe will have a higher average on offense and lower average on non-related stats, you can concentrate on what is important here:

The ai will teach you the solid core basic concepts involved and once you master these, you will be in a position to succeed in any mode against any opponent you face with this series. This is what Coach is after and this is why I fully support him here.

I am currently playing a MyCareer campaign on HoF level in tandem here ... I have a problem "being" Kobe, Melo, Wade, etc ... so I can't officially join the effort here - but this effort is exactly what 90% of those that play 2k need; both offline and online players.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #84
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Appreciate the support Taer. Great analysis.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #85
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

I just played my favorite 2k basketball game ever. My Raptors were playing the Lakers. (Tried taking a print screen but it only gave me a pure black screen).

Halftime score: 51 - 49 Lakers over Raptors.

End of 4th Sore: 101 - 101; Kobe making the last second shot over me to tie it up.

End of OT1 score: 109 - 107 Lakers win.

I did have a triple double (pts, reb, ast) but it was a realistic 19pts, 10reb and 12ast and Kobe did have a 29 pt game, but once again it was very Kobe-like game.

The most wonderful thing about this game was that my team was really taking advantage of mismatches... specifically, when Dwight would swing out on help D, or Gasol got caught in between players (as he seems to be doing a lot this year) my Raptors got the ball to the right person and we scored.

I really wish I had the screens to share with everyone. The only stat that was not within today's NBA range was the points in the paint... it was truly my favorite 2k basketball game of all time so far.

@Coach - Dude, please don't let the bashing get you down. Even though you and I don't always agree on the nuances, we both believe that the community members here try to help each other...

Keep in mind that many of the OS community don't visit these boards during this time because, historically speaking, the complainers and negative Nancy's are always out in force... your efforts are appreciated by many, just as Da_Czar's and others are too!

idk .. sometimes I wish the moderators were not so tolerant of the bashing here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #86
MVP

OVR: 0
So is it legit to change the automatic shot contest to "always" in the controller settings? I've never done this but supposedly it helps--is that still considered simulation? I want to try it next game.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #87
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taer
@Coach - Dude, please don't let the bashing get you down. Even though you and I don't always agree on the nuances, we both believe that the community members here try to help each other...

Keep in mind that many of the OS community don't visit these boards during this time because, historically speaking, the complainers and negative Nancy's are always out in force... your efforts are appreciated by many, just as Da_Czar's and others are too!

idk .. sometimes I wish the moderators were not so tolerant of the bashing here.
FYI, if there weren't so called "bashers" and "negative nancys" the game would not improve because there would only be people pretending the game is perfect and nobody would talk about what could be better in the game. I don't get some of you guys, it's one thing to hate, but disagreeing and stating an opinion is not bashing lol. Since when is complacency such a great thing? I think you're overreacting a bit.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #88
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRINGS03
FYI, if there weren't so called "bashers" and "negative nancys" the game would not improve because there would only be people pretending the game is perfect and nobody would talk about what could be better in the game. I don't get some of you guys, it's one thing to hate, but disagreeing and stating an opinion is not bashing lol. Since when is complacency such a great thing? I think you're overreacting a bit.
I don't think he's referring to comments from your or people who just disagree. I think he is talking about some of the other insulting comments on the other thread.

I read your stuff over there and I agree with a lot of what you said so I'll try and do better. I'm not married to my method. It's just I don't see many methods out there.

For a more detailed over view of what I recommend, you can read this if you want. I've slightly changed my method in that I don't use create a legend mode anymore but instead use player lock in the association mode.

Here's the link:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/102879...ts/XK8wwFCaFzT

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »