Home

Difficulty Spikes

This is a discussion on Difficulty Spikes within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Difficulty Spikes

Has anyone noticed massive difficulty spikes that force you to lose? I have been playing a fantasy draft association with a few friends on superstar. I can usually hold my own but after a few wins, the computer comes back with a vengeance. They start getting crazy amounts of offensive rebounds (15 to 3 in the last game) even when my players have the other team effectively boxed out, the ball will take weird angles and roll between multiple rebounders straight to the computer. They also knock down all sorts of rediculous contested shots. Timeouts don't help either.

Anyone else deal with this on a regular basis?

PS: This is what it feels like when the computer does this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
Training Camp Warrior

RustyRocket56's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Difficulty Spikes

It happened to me on mycareer, the spike happens from time to time and there is nothing you can do but accept the loss and move on. I did not and ended up scoring 68 points 14 reb and 3 blocks and we(celtics) lost to bucks 126 110 . I was subbed out for 4 mins 1st quarter and when I came back they were leading by 20, no matter what you do the lead stays around 20 all game.

Even though its frustrating, it usually lasts a game or two for me then its back to normal.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
MVP

AntiBandwagoner's Arena

OVR: 6

There was a forum like this a while ago. I totally agree. I lose in the 4th all the time.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

Every game there seems to be a few minutes where you miss uncontested lay ups and every defensive attempt is a foul. Especially if you're using a weak team against a good team.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

absolutely ~ this year more than any other has descended into "scripted gameplay"

I consistently go through stretches where I get outrebound by a 5-1 margin only "during the scripted run", with players like Mike Dunleavy jumping over the back of Love, reaching through the player model sans clipping and "suction rebounding" with no foul. Changing the sliders merely makes it immediately unfair in my favor during other scenarios... e.g. suddenly I will start getting defensive rebounds I had no business getting where I didn't even move the controller and the ball "flew to me" ~ that is no better. I wish I could confirm with video replay, but that feature is totally broken this year too and hasn't been patched.

Timeouts definitely do not help. I just finished a game with five separate runs roughly "15-2" or so flip-flopping back and forth between Boston (me) and LAL. Late in the second quarter I went 15-2 to get to a 50-50 tie ~ during much of that run, I didn't even feel like I was really dictating the action -- I would get a steal away from the ball, when I tried to slow up the break and go into halfcourt, the NPC players just ran the lanes perfectly baiting me to take the free points, and the computer didn't get back RIGHT until it was time to give up an and 1 in my favor. It wasn't even a satisfying comeback.

I called my own timeout just as I felt the computer responding favorably to the momentum swing from their timeout at 50-50, but it was useless. You can literally "feel" the fun slipping away via the under/over responsiveness of the controller. All of a sudden my human controlled help defense was either stuck in molasses OR if i took control of KG before I even got to the stick he had "run out to the 3pt line" botching the post fronting and leaving dwight for an easy and 1 (no way to stop the help defense from fouling in that half-second interval). It's just not enjoyable to move the stick one way and see a player just glued to the spot or go through some silly unrealistic animation to allow the offensive player space.

When you consider the ratings, these runs are even more head-scratcing. A run will make Steve Nash an incredible chase down defender and Antawn Jamison immovable in the post.

What makes it hard to quit for good is that games are always close, the stats "acceptable", you get a few rewarding plays where suddenly the controls respond and you feel like you are actually running the off/def set to perfection... just enough to keep you interested. And of course you get the occasional vice-versa game where everything favors YOU, help defense slides over perfectly when you recklessly reach for steals, YOU get suction rebounding when you didn't bother to block out.

It's just disappointing because the right stick iso motion and left trigger modifier for shot stick is so much more comfortable, I WANT to love this game, but I just can't.

I have no problem losing by 20, in any of these scenarios:
1) I don't run a gameplan that favors my team's strengths --e.g. what the real life lakers have been doing all year

2) I get exploited by computer matchups through their good ball movement -- e.g. getting jamison in the post on rondo repeatedly through switches

3) I take stupid contested shots or "off the dribble" on a fast break, throw the ball into double teams, or drive into help defense

4) the player ratings simply favor the computer so dramatically, that even playing the perfect game makes it unlikely for me to win. e.g. bobcats (me) with kemba and MKG out versus a healthy dreamteam (CPU)

^this rarely-to-never happens though. i never thought i would vent about a 2K game, because the flaws are usually completely manageable or small enough to ignore and the game plays great enough to carry through it all (e.g. NFL2K5). Never come away from a good feeling with 2K13 though. Sad day for me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

I know it's recommended to call time outs and I wouldn't say you shouldn't do that. What matters more than a time out is what you do during the time out, subs, any adjustments in defense and then after on the court it's important to execute.

It's a combination of those things and in particular the execution part.

I've seen the phrase "scripted game play" before. I am not sure I buy into that only because there are so many variables of things you can.

I'd say it's more likely that the possibility exists that the CPU has a pretty good idea what your tendencies have been and shuts you down.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 02-09-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 20

Maybe "scripted" is too strong of a word ~ clearly I'm not talking about 100% fixed events. I mean a series of similar and extremely unlikely occurrences that repeat AND are all strung together. For me at least, it's not a problem if the intelligence is reading my style~ that would be addressed in my last points as "acceptable ways to lose"

Rather, what I am specifically addressing is CPU behavior (either opposing team OR my players I am not controlling) that is unrealistic in terms of physics or player ratings... something that is outside the bounds of what I would deem fair, since a human player has no means to control it/repeat it

this could mean a player exceeding/dipping below his ratings dramatically like the Dunleavy example above or Nash running down and blocking a Rondo dunk. It could also mean animations that seemingly "break the physics engine" e.g. clipping goes away on rebounding (also the Duleavy example again), Jamison sliding over faster than any player can move w/o moving feet on help def, me physically not being able to move a player because of "molasses shoes"

These are "scripted events" to me because they continually happen, no matter what the two teams' variance is in ratings OR what style you play. It also seems to drive towards keeping the game level/close. I'm fine with getting caught throwing the same pass ten times or anything that can be explained by VIP/profile tracking

This is different in my opinion, however.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight13951
Has anyone noticed massive difficulty spikes that force you to lose? I have been playing a fantasy draft association with a few friends on superstar. I can usually hold my own but after a few wins, the computer comes back with a vengeance. They start getting crazy amounts of offensive rebounds (15 to 3 in the last game) even when my players have the other team effectively boxed out, the ball will take weird angles and roll between multiple rebounders straight to the computer. They also knock down all sorts of rediculous contested shots. Timeouts don't help either.

Anyone else deal with this on a regular basis?

PS: This is what it feels like when the computer does this.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's the way the game works this year. I play on SS/Sim with a young, but talented Kings team in association. 3 things you must know.

1. Always run plays. Also learn how to do many things on the same play. This is how I always get good, wide open shots (most of the time).

2. If you are up by 20, or go into the 4th up by about 10, ALWAYS turn your fast break to 0. Yeah, they'll still get some off. boards, but atleast you know you couldn't do much about it.

3. The one I don't like. If they cheese you (Turbo lead pass in the paint or crazy oops) you got to cheese them back to get back momentum. I was up on the Cavs by 20 who got Dwight and Iggy, and they attempted about 9 standing still oops on me in the 4th. Hit about 7 of em. Plus when they were down by 4 Dwight flew in the lane at 100mph morphing through dudes and dunked. I had to do a cheesy up and under and a standing still under the hoop dunk to win/ break momentum.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »