Home

The changing scene in gaming that applies to 2k also

This is a discussion on The changing scene in gaming that applies to 2k also within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
F1 2021 Review - One for the Ages
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Include Brand New Swing Mechanics, Three Click Swing Returns
FIFA 22 Gameplay: Breaking Down the Latest Details
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0
The changing scene in gaming that applies to 2k also

I for one read that interview done on ESPN for 2k13 and didn't agree with the new casual friendly approach 2k was taking the NBA2k franchise. Today while looking at Gamespot for some new PS4 news. i stumbled upon this video that touches on the subject of the "lowered complexity" of todays games. Check it out Agree?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: The changing scene in gaming that applies to 2k also

No doubts and we're all responsible for it.

The gaming industry will crash again at some points.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
No doubts and we're all responsible for it.

The gaming industry will crash again at some points.

i blame angry birds lol cheap casual agme that millions play. 2k on the other hand have the only bball game on the market. Once they removed "#1 rated bball simulation" from their box cover, it was a turning point from simulation to casual
Old 02-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24

^They removed it because they were the only basketball simulation.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 02-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
Pro

WizardJay's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by airaron32
^They removed it because they were the only basketball simulation.
But now there not even simulation anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I ask this with sincerity, do you guys believe 2K is dumbing down their game? If so, in what aspects?

My hope is for 2K to maintain a great center where they know for a fact they're creating a great simulation basketball game, regardless of what Facebook people are voting for or against in polls on what should or should not be added to the game itself. Appealing to the majority of your market is surely important, but I do not think it can always be at the complete expense of the minority (and to be sure, I do not think 2K's only appealing to majority folk).

For the most part, 2K still seems to be doing a great job. I just sometimes become concerned when certain alterations are made to the game that seem to be mostly inspired by what 2K thinks we all want versus what they truly thought would be a wise and sensible addition to their game.

I don't mean to come back to this yet again, but I think one of the bigger examples would be the addition of Jay-Z and all the gold painted extras that came along with him. Additions like that make me wonder a little if maybe all those folks on Twitter and Facebook were speaking and being heard while my voice remained silent - or was being squashed out by whoever was loudest or carried the largest numbers. I just wonder, are ideas like bringing Jay-Z into the basketball fold really things that basketball game creators would feel to be positive and necessary additions to their games? I have a hard time picturing games like 2K2 or 2K3 going that route.

Similarly, is game difficulty becoming something that's not so much being left up to the minds of the game creators themselves, but rather just feeding into the largest and loudest requests of a given market? Does 2K hold back on certain aspects of their game in hopes of keeping it accessible?

Last edited by VDusen04; 02-25-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm not sure if this game is casual. Watching my casual friends try to play this is like watching a shark try to play chess. The learning curve for this game is pretty high. I know dunks are too easy and unstoppable, but other than that this isn't really a pick-up-and-play game. Maybe online it is, I don't mess with that. But hall of fame mode is pretty brutal, and in 2k11 hall of fame was very easy.

Some aspects, like the aforementioned dunking, are pretty casual, but other things like passing and basic movement around the court take a lot of time to get used to(and in the case of passing, its unnecessarily frustrating, and casuals hate it as much as 2k veterans).
Old 02-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I ask this with sincerity, do you guys believe 2K is dumbing down their game? If so, in what aspects?

My hope is for 2K to maintain a great center where they know for a fact they're creating a great simulation basketball game, regardless of what Facebook people are voting for or against in polls on what should or should not be added to the game itself. Appealing to the majority of your market is surely important, but I do not think it can always be at the complete expense of the minority (and to be sure, I do not think 2K's only appealing to majority folk).

For the most part, 2K still seems to be doing a great job. I just sometimes become concerned when certain alterations are made to the game that seem to be mostly inspired by what 2K thinks we all want versus what they truly thought would be a wise and sensible addition to their game.

I don't mean to come back to this yet again, but I think one of the bigger examples would be the addition of Jay-Z and all the gold painted extras that came along with him. Additions like that make me wonder a little if maybe all those folks on Twitter and Facebook were speaking and being heard while my voice remained silent - or was being squashed out by whoever was loudest or carried the largest numbers. I just wonder, are ideas like bringing Jay-Z into the basketball fold really things that basketball game creators would feel to be positive and necessary additions to their games? I have a hard time picturing games like 2K2 or 2K3 going that route.

Similarly, is game difficulty becoming something that's not so much being left up to the minds of the game creators themselves, but rather just feeding into the largest and loudest requests of a given market? Does 2K hold back on certain aspects of their game in hopes of keeping it accessible?
The majority of the market is only the majority "currently"
By 'dumbing' down the game it attracts more people who wouldn't have bought it to begin with and they then become the new majority.

They don't need to make it sim, they need to make a sim mode. End of story.
Yes you veterans who been playin since 2k8 etc may be bored but for new players the buttons alone are difficult and sometimes are still not mastered when the next one comes out.

At the end of the day the goal is to sell the game.
If they lose 1million full sim hardcore whining baby pro ballets and gain 3million newbie casual just wanna play a game players then they have done their jobs.

You don't get into business to lose money. You can't have sim OR casual, you MUST have both or casual will always win. The sooner people see that, the sooner we will all be playing instead of whining.

Either that or pick up 2k11 and stay with that. I did. Got a good price for my 2k13 too on eBay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »