Home

If 2k wants to make association mode good, they need to focus on logic and reasoning

This is a discussion on If 2k wants to make association mode good, they need to focus on logic and reasoning within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
If 2k wants to make association mode good, they need to focus on logic and reasoning

Give players dynamic personalities. Often times players finishing out their first contract will want to sign with the team that drafted them. Guys coming off their second contract will often look for the most money. Guys who have stayed with their favorite team for 5-7 years will start to feel a sense of loyalty. Older players will begin to chase rings if they haven't won one already. Some guys are inefficient stubborn chuckers who will just want to be the number one guys on bad teams. Some guys with big personalities will be attracted to big cities like LA and New York. The personalities should affect the decisions of what a player wants to do. They won't always just test free agency.

Trades, FA, and drafting should be more logical to. What direction is a team headed? Are they tanking? Taking on expirers to free up cap space and trying to acquire picks? Are they a piece away from being a playoff team/contender? Do they need cap space? Are they a team like New York or LA that will never need to tank because everybody wants to play there? In the draft, Does a team have time to develop their players? Or do they need talent now? Teams will almost never simply just trade good players for other good players straight up at the same age and position.

Then, make player ratings and development for draft picks random. No, not completely random. What I mean by this is have a percent chance that a player reaches a certain level. Say Austin Rivers is drafted into the NBA. Give him percent chances towards how successful he would be in the NBA.
For Example:

Probably even make the percentages of being a mediocre player a lot higher, but I'm sure you understand my point. It would add some excitement to the Association mode.

Then just add some simple things like 10 day contracts, guaranteed and non guaranteed contracts, and protecting picks, and we're good to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
SimWorld C.E.O.

ronyell's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: If 2k wants to make association mode good, they need to focus on logic and reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwabalicious
Give players dynamic personalities. Often times players finishing out their first contract will want to sign with the team that drafted them. Guys coming off their second contract will often look for the most money. Guys who have stayed with their favorite team for 5-7 years will start to feel a sense of loyalty. Older players will begin to chase rings if they haven't won one already. Some guys are inefficient stubborn chuckers who will just want to be the number one guys on bad teams. Some guys with big personalities will be attracted to big cities like LA and New York. The personalities should affect the decisions of what a player wants to do. They won't always just test free agency.

Trades, FA, and drafting should be more logical to. What direction is a team headed? Are they tanking? Taking on expirers to free up cap space and trying to acquire picks? Are they a piece away from being a playoff team/contender? Do they need cap space? Are they a team like New York or LA that will never need to tank because everybody wants to play there? In the draft, Does a team have time to develop their players? Or do they need talent now? Teams will almost never simply just trade good players for other good players straight up at the same age and position.

Then, make player ratings and development for draft picks random. No, not completely random. What I mean by this is have a percent chance that a player reaches a certain level. Say Austin Rivers is drafted into the NBA. Give him percent chances towards how successful he would be in the NBA.
For Example:

Probably even make the percentages of being a mediocre player a lot higher, but I'm sure you understand my point. It would add some excitement to the Association mode.

Then just add some simple things like 10 day contracts, guaranteed and non guaranteed contracts, and protecting picks, and we're good to go.

10 day contracts are in now.
#SimWorldSports #SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 03-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: If 2k wants to make association mode good, they need to focus on logic and reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyell
10 day contracts are in now.
And they have been since 2K10 I believe.

But I like your potential logic.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 03-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I love Association mode, but what always bothers me is the fact that there really are no "busts" in a draft. In any normal draft in real life, at least 3 or 4 of the top 10 picks will spend their careers as bench warmers and might even be out of the league within 5 years. But in 2k, all of those guys will pretty much automatically be at least an 80 overall at some point in their career, which makes all the teams a lot better than they should be once you get 3 or 4 years into a franchise. I think the Austin Rivers scenario you gave was great, keep the mode interesting by giving players a % chance to become star, starter, role player, bench warmer, etc. It would make the game mode more frustrating if you draft someone 2nd or 3rd overall who never amounts to anything despite the "potential" rating, but the mode would also be more realistic and fun.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Also, they should add both protected and non-protected picks to association mode instead of me having to trade picks between teams manually. I'm a Suns fan, and in the next three drafts the Suns have 6 first-round picks, but of course in association they only have 3 which makes rebuilding a team harder.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper1030
I love Association mode, but what always bothers me is the fact that there really are no "busts" in a draft. In any normal draft in real life, at least 3 or 4 of the top 10 picks will spend their careers as bench warmers and might even be out of the league within 5 years. But in 2k, all of those guys will pretty much automatically be at least an 80 overall at some point in their career, which makes all the teams a lot better than they should be once you get 3 or 4 years into a franchise. I think the Austin Rivers scenario you gave was great, keep the mode interesting by giving players a % chance to become star, starter, role player, bench warmer, etc. It would make the game mode more frustrating if you draft someone 2nd or 3rd overall who never amounts to anything despite the "potential" rating, but the mode would also be more realistic and fun.
Exactly. No busts and second round pick steals.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Love this idea. It gets weird looking at all the teams in your association mode after like 2 years and seeing all of them stacked with a bunch of 80+ overall rated players
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Very good ideas. I really like the idea of players not working out or being sleeps in the 2nd round.

I did not realize you could use 10 day contracts in the game though?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »