Home

Current Gen v Next Gen

This is a discussion on Current Gen v Next Gen within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Rookie

GradyMac's Arena

OVR: 0
Current Gen v Next Gen

I am loving all the stuff I am reading about current gen, especially the Jaywilliams55 tease (WHAT IF I TOLD YOU THERE WAS A MODE THAT WILL MAKE YOU FORGET ABOUT MYPLAYER + CREW?), because those (with team-up) are my favorite modes.

But 2k has clearly stated that there will be significant differences between the two versions. I then read a lot of posts about how if money is short people are going to hold out for Next Gen. Stuff about people saying, "next gen is going to be sick, etc."

But no info yet on next gen. So am I the only one worried that next gen may have less features/modes than current gen. I am not a developer, but seeing as how they have said "significant differences" and they already have several years of current gen experience; maybe they will not have time/experience to accomplish everything in next gen?

Anyone else worried about this, or have I maybe missed something about Next Gen announcements?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Rookie

mreyes930's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Current Gen v Next Gen

Sadly, we won't know much until late September. Just before the Current-Gen version is released they will begin talking about the Next-Gen.

PSN: kingmike9
Old 08-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
sk
God's Son.

sk's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyMac
I am loving all the stuff I am reading about current gen, especially the Jaywilliams55 tease (WHAT IF I TOLD YOU THERE WAS A MODE THAT WILL MAKE YOU FORGET ABOUT MYPLAYER + CREW?), because those (with team-up) are my favorite modes.

But 2k has clearly stated that there will be significant differences between the two versions. I then read a lot of posts about how if money is short people are going to hold out for Next Gen. Stuff about people saying, "next gen is going to be sick, etc."

But no info yet on next gen. So am I the only one worried that next gen may have less features/modes than current gen. I am not a developer, but seeing as how they have said "significant differences" and they already have several years of current gen experience; maybe they will not have time/experience to accomplish everything in next gen?

Anyone else worried about this, or have I maybe missed something about Next Gen announcements?
Just because they have yet to announce anything doesn't mean it's because they have nothing to announce.

Just about every next gen sports game is doing this. Madden, FIFA, NBA 2K, NBA Live, and MLB The Show hasn't even been mentioned.

If there was one team working on both current and next gen, I'd be worried cause they'd most likely run out of time to put in some really good stuff. However there are two different teams so I have confidence in them.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
MVP

cthurt's Arena

I wouldnt say Im worried, but 2K saying there will be significate differences between next gen and current gen doesnt mean that the differences are better on next gen, now if they said there will be significate upgrades in the next gen system that is something that would excite me more.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Rookie

swaggedout's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
I wouldnt say Im worried, but 2K saying there will be significate differences between next gen and current gen doesnt mean that the differences are better on next gen, now if they said there will be significate upgrades in the next gen system that is something that would excite me more.
So you think their statement was about current gen being a lot better than next gen? I really don't think so. People aren't always going to word things the way you like. I believe that you're reading into it wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I really think next gen version will be a big step over current . And 2k is just staying quiet to let current gen sell first
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
MVP

cthurt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggedout
So you think their statement was about current gen being a lot better than next gen? I really don't think so. People aren't always going to word things the way you like. I believe that you're reading into it wrong.
Not saying that Im just saying "significant differences" could just be graphics alone... then what??? That doesnt say much its obvious there will be differences from the next gen trailer we saw.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 33

Something to keep in mind when trying to forsee next gen games.

- How these next gen consoles were conceived and how they are been marketed (ease the development, ugrade and provide tons of content, facilitate the running of multiple algorithms, such as physics and AI enhancers, integration of social media features, etc).

- The ever more aware/informed/demanding hardcore and casual videogame market (no longer can a franchise offer barebone games and come unharmed, nor can a console or game think is above its customers and try to impose us anything).

- The apparent fragmentation of the market and the progressive increase of other non direct yet competitive alternatives (movil games and indies).

Given those three things, there is no excuse for a game not to be full featured nowdays, period.

Everybody refers madden 06 but this is basketball, so why omitt 2K6, a game that was featured on past gen and on current gen on its release ? While it was just a graphically updated port from past gen, it was leaps and bounds better than Madden 06/Live 06, it had all modes that the older version offered. IMHO, by back in the day standards, 2k delivered.

So, going:
- by 2k past hystory (stated above)
- by how my graphics expectation were surpassed (LBJ trailer) and on a supposed not so mostly graphical oriented consoles
- by the handcoffed feedback of the sim community president on how he saw the next gen 2k14 version

So, in sum, by todays standards I want tons more of content and upgrades ... I dont think, neither expect nor would accept anything less from a next gen game.

Last edited by ffaacc03; 08-31-2013 at 12:37 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »