Home

Only 4 plays???

This is a discussion on Only 4 plays??? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2004, 07:01 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Only 4 plays???

Why are they only 4 plays on NBA2k4? I hope they have more on this years game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2004, 01:11 AM   #2
Pro

kirkangil's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Only 4 plays???

Quote:

Hotlanta1981 said:
Why are they only 4 plays on NBA2k4? I hope they have more on this years game.

They said people dont use the plays anyway so they would just put 4 basic plays in there. But what they failed to realize was that the cpu only had 4 plays to and that all the cpu teams would play the same no matter the teams. Whoever thought to put just 4 plays in the game should be fired and blackballed from ever working again.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:09 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

kirkangil said:
Whoever thought to put just 4 plays in the game should be fired and blackballed from ever working again.

Old 07-23-2004, 05:59 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 18

then i guess no more VC for you
Old 07-23-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

The bad thing about the 2k games is that every year from its inception, they took out things that made the game great. They continued to do it until it came all the way to plays, cameras, post game, etc.... It is the worst thing you can do is strip a game of all of the things that made it great and replace it with something jacked up like horrid animations, cheap looking dunks, half done gameplay, and so on.

Leave the graphics as is and work on the gameplay. Put the old things back in from all of the old games, post game, fade a way, high floater finger roll, good AI and so on.

Pretty games just arent enough to keep peoples attention or interest. If they keep that mess up, they wont have many fans anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2004, 08:27 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

I seem to recall an interview where Visual Concepts claimed that they would never remove something from their games. You know the kind of thing that Live was likely to do.

I figured that they wouldn't be able to hold to that ideal. Maybe they changed the person in charge of the dev team, or maybe it's because of the transition to new systems.

I'm hoping that, like Live, they get back on their feet again. Probably won't happen in this iteration, I'm just hoping that it happens sometime soon.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:44 PM   #7
All Star

Tha_Kid's Arena

OVR: 30

I really blame Hilary Goldstein......lol...(cant get over the guy named Hilary)...for ESPN's 4 plays. It was in the 2K3 review at IGN.com where he griped about how he had never seen anyone really use the plays in the game and that there should just use 4 basic plays. No one gave a rebuttal, VC looked at the review (notice that IGN reviews are always touted on their site) and took what he said as a representation of how everyone felt.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:48 PM   #8
All Star

Tha_Kid's Arena

OVR: 30

Link: Xbox 2k3 review

Quote:

The 2K series has always used the same play-calling system. Each team has a set of offensive plays. You can watch the plays run out for you so you can see how they should be done. To be honest, does anyone even use this? For most it's probably confusing. It's one thing to be a sim, but this is where NBA 2K3 takes it too far. You don't need X's and O plays. There are only a few plays really run in the NBA and only those few generic plays that need to be in the game.

You don't need a bunch of different isolation plays or shots to set up the three. It would be better if the D-Pad were used to to call one of four loosely scripted plays. On to get it inside, on to hit ouside, a pick and roll, and an isolation play. Because I don't know anyone who uses all of these offerings or even tries. And the problem is that if you don't use these plays the offense often just stands around. This kills the flow of the game and is the reason why you will more than likely keep trying to drive the lane or throw it deep into the post.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »